awesome.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 08:131 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    By what He has made.
    What has been made only proves Thor exists. your "God" made nothing (since Thor made it all)
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 08:18
    Originally posted by Agerg
    What has been made only proves Thor exists. your "God" made nothing (since Thor made it all)
    Oh, I understand you now. You are into mythology while I am into the real
    deal.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 08:191 edit
    Oh, I understand you now. You are into mythology while I am into the real
    deal.
    Prove Thor is only myth. Prove he didn't make everything.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 09:45
    That would be easy if you were a reasonable person.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 13:35
    That would be easy if you were a reasonable person.
    You nailed it. Most adults believe themselves to be reasonable people. It's a matter of definition, however, and whether an objective or subjective standard of behavior is in play. Conversation between a reasonable and unreasonable person, about anything beyond small talk agreement about the weather and a mechanical 'have a nice day', becomes impossible because the essential coding and decoding of language in spoken and written communication remains encrypted and impenetrable in one of the minds.

gb
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 14:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]#1 No. All human beings eventually reach the point of "god" consciousness. In pristine cultures a young person or teenager may look up at a towering tree with all encompassing limbs and branches or squinting attempt to sustain gaze on the radiant sun or lie in the grass and watch the parade of clouds create changing shapes as they traverse the ho ...[text shortened]...

Sorry for the long reply, LemonJello, but I was pressed for time. gb

🙂[/b]
    I am sorry but this is wrong, there are many ways I can refute this but I will stick with the simplest.

for point 1

I Do Not Believe In God.
    I Have Never Believed In God.
    I Have Never Thought That There Was Some Greater Being Out There Controlling Everything.
    And I Never Will Absent Some Indisputable Evidence For The Existence Of God.

And the same applies to many other atheists I know.

So point one is wrong, refuted, not true, false.

Point 2, you have no proof for this, you are just making stuff up, and thus until proven,
    also must be considered wrong.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 15:20
    Well even Norse mythology doesn't credit Thor with the creation of the universe nor any deity for that matter. There is one source called the prose Edda written by Snorri Sturlisson of Iceland that credits the "shaping" of the universe by Odin and his two brothers Vili and Ve. But many scholars consider Snorri a dubious source since he his work was written well after Iceland converted to Christianity. I think the "creation" of the universe was as much a mystery to the heathens of old as it is to us today.

Some of us can admit that we don't know how/why the universe was created and some of us can't. But regardless none of us know for sure. Many have belief but none posses definitive knowledge.

Oh and to RJHinds: If you think your Bible is any less Judaic/Christian mythology than the stories and exploits of Thor are Scandinavian/Germanic mythology ..... well all I can say is good luck with that.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 15:32
    Originally posted by googlefudge

I am sorry but this is wrong, there are many ways I can refute this but I will stick with the simplest.

for point 1

I Do Not Believe In God.
    I Have Never Believed In God.
    I Have Never Thought That There Was Some Greater Being Out There Controlling Everything.
    And I Never Will Absent Some Indisputab ...[text shortened]... roof for this, you are just making stuff up, and thus until proven,
    also must be considered wrong.
    Your sentiments and opinions are solely your sentiments and opinions, nothing less and nothing more. Your emotional protestations regarding irrefutable absolute truth weigh nothing. Though some well intentioned crusaders might wish your frozen shut eyes could thaw and slowly open, only an ill-mannered fool would disrespect your free will by attempting to convince you otherwise.

Bobby
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 17:07
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Well even Norse mythology doesn't credit Thor with the creation of the universe nor any deity for that matter. There is one source called the prose Edda written by Snorri Sturlisson of Iceland that credits the "shaping" of the universe by Odin and his two brothers Vili and Ve. But many scholars consider Snorri a dubious source since he his work was written we ...[text shortened]... Thor are Scandinavian/Germanic mythology ..... well all I can say is good luck with that.
    Thank you. We all could use some good luck.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 17:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]#1 No. All human beings eventually reach the point of "god" consciousness. In pristine cultures a young person or teenager may look up at a towering tree with all encompassing limbs and branches or squinting attempt to sustain gaze on the radiant sun or lie in the grass and watch the parade of clouds create changing shapes as they traverse the ho ...[text shortened]...

Sorry for the long reply, LemonJello, but I was pressed for time. gb

🙂[/b]
    Thanks for the reply.

All human beings eventually reach the point of "god" consciousness.

As a trivial example, a lot of human beings die before even reaching an age where they are capable of entertaining such conceptions. So this claim is blatantly false on the face of it. But, I guess what you are trying to say is rather that theistic conceptions have featured prevalently and cross-culturally throughout the history of humankind. If that is what you mean, then I basically agree; but I do not think that addresses my question. My question was in regards to whether or not one can conceive (in a coherent fashion) of the non-existence of God. My question is not about whether or not humans can (or typically do) conceive of conceptions of God, which is just an anthropological question; I was more trying to understand if you think there is something contradictory or incoherent about the non-existence of 'God'. Sorry for not being more clear.

God created all things for His (at times seemingly inscrutable) purpose and pleasure. Speculation about aliens and space ships may provide grist for the mill of our imagination but it's a fool's mission to lose focus by majoring on minor unproductive things. If there are other worlds, so what. Planet earth is where the action is... the designated temporary home, playground and school room of human beings. Fact that earth is a tiny speck in the universe is irrelevant to the issue of God's existence. He governs it all.

This also fails to address my question. I am not asking you to "lose focus" of the actual world in musings about aliens and whatnot. I was just trying to use possible world semantics. Do you think it is logically possible that 'God' could not exist?

Also, you state "God created all things...." I assume you are then committed to the idea that God created God. That sounds rather absurd. Could you please clarify this statement of yours?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 18:16
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Thanks for the reply.

[b] All human beings eventually reach the point of "god" consciousness.

As a trivial example, a lot of human beings die before even reaching an age where they are capable of entertaining such conceptions. So this claim is blatantly false on the face of it. But, I guess what you are trying to say is rather that theistic co ...[text shortened]... God. That sounds rather absurd. Could you please clarify this statement of yours?[/b]
    Don't you know the difference between persons, places, and things?
    You need to retake your English class if you believe God is a thing.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 18:181 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Thanks for the reply.

[b] All human beings eventually reach the point of "god" consciousness.

As a trivial example, a lot of human beings die before even reaching an age where they are capable of entertaining such conceptions. So this claim is blatantly false on the face of it. But, I guess what you are trying to say is rather that theistic co God. That sounds rather absurd. Could you please clarify this statement of yours?[/b]
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 18:28
    Yes, of course God is a thing (if He exists). Persons are things too.

We must have different definitions of 'thing' in mind. No matter, since this discussion does not hinge on such wordsmithing. Look, the matter here is simple: if GB is implying that God created everything that exists; then that seems rather absurd, since this would seem to entail that God created Himself. So, I am specfically asking GB if this is what he is implying; or if we are talking past each other. Understand?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree