Santa Claus

Santa Claus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
next time a friendly neighbourhood witness calls at your home, ask them about it, you will be refreshed, i can guarantee it, thanks for you kind comments 🙂
If you are talking about the J.W.s I thought they believed only a certain number would go to Heaven ? Under a million if memory serves me. Who are the witnesses you speak of ?

rc

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by buckky
If you are talking about the J.W.s I thought they believed only a certain number would go to Heaven ? Under a million if memory serves me. Who are the witnesses you speak of ?
yes its true, we do believe that a limited number of persons shall rule with Christ in his heavenly government (kingdom) and that the vast majority of mankind shall, inherit the earth as it is restored to a paradise, for it was Gods purpose in the beginning that the earth should become a paradise and as far as I am aware it has not changed. The idea that all good persons go to heaven finds no credence in scripture, for it definitely states that the 'meek shall inherit the earth' and find delight in an abundance of peace. I am sure you have heard of that verse, anyhow I would just like to encourage you to speak with the witnesses where you live Bucky, they must come around sometimes.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
25 Dec 10

yes its true, we do believe that a limited number of persons shall rule with Christ in his heavenly government (kingdom) and that the vast majority of mankind shall, inherit the earth as it is restored to a paradise, for it was Gods purpose in the beginning that the earth should become a paradise and as far as I am aware it has not changed. The idea ...[text shortened]... courage you to speak with the witnesses where you live Bucky, they must come around sometimes.
The one thing I always liked about the JWs is their belief in not celebrating special days. No Birthdays or even Christmas is not celebrated. I like that. I do not like the constant need to celebrate certain days. I'll look into the that faith more. Thanks for the heads up.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Dec 10

What you say makes sense but I've never heard a so called Christian with those ideas pertaining to Hell. Very refreshing view though. I'm impressed.
I am a Christian (no, not a "so-called" one), and I happen to agree with Robbie about hell (in that it is not an "ever-lasting" torment). And I'm not a JW, either.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Dec 10

Originally posted by Suzianne
I am a Christian (no, not a "so-called" one), and I happen to agree with Robbie about hell (in that it is not an "ever-lasting" torment). And I'm not a JW, either.
Yes Robbie is correct. The scripture at:

Romans 6:23 (New International Version, ©2010)

23 For the wages of sin is "death", but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.

So this says that your death is the wage or punishment for the sins we would have committed during our life as we're all born into a sinful condition. This scripture as well as many others say death is the result, not some eternal punishment such as a burning Hell.
Would a parent of a child that did a wrong continually punish that child forever to make them pay for that wrong? Certianly not and neither would God do that to any of us.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
26 Dec 10

I'm happy to hear that. A rational mind is a wonderful thing.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
26 Dec 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Yes Robbie is correct. The scripture at:

Romans 6:23 (New International Version, ©2010)

23 For the wages of sin is "death", but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.

So this says that your death is the wage or punishment for the sins we would have committed during our life as we're all born into a sinful condition. This ...[text shortened]... er to make them pay for that wrong? Certianly not and neither would God do that to any of us.
This is great ! Hell is not in my future. I could not be happier.

rc

Moves
26 Dec 10
1 edit

This is great ! Hell is not in my future. I could not be happier.
it would surprise you Buckky how many people have been set free from fear of hell and eternal torment 🙂

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
26 Dec 10

it would surprise you Buckky how many people have been set free from fear of hell and eternal torment 🙂
Even though I'm pleased to hear that you and others don't believe in a Hell, I still have my doubts that you know any more than anyone else. It's a pleasant thought that we live forever in some way and we have nothing to fear from a Hell, but it's just that a pleasant thought. It's based on what ? Don't tell me the Bible because that holds no water with me. Everyone claims to understand what the Bible is saying but there are hundreds of different ideas on all kinds of issues. In my view we need more than a religious book to set us straight on things. I would be pleased as punch if you were correct on all your beliefs. They seem compassionate and sane. I like that in a religion or belief.

rc

Moves
26 Dec 10

Even though I'm pleased to hear that you and others don't believe in a Hell, I still have my doubts that you know any more than anyone else. It's a pleasant thought that we live forever in some way and we have nothing to fear from a Hell, but it's just that a pleasant thought. It's based on what ? Don't tell me the Bible because that holds no water with me. E ...[text shortened]... n all your beliefs. They seem compassionate and sane. I like that in a religion or belief.
sure Buckky, i understand, here is a website that you can peruse at your leisure on this subject. The thing you must distinguish in your mind is the difference between Christianity and the Bible, for the two are not the same. All i would advise is get a bible for yourself, look up the scriptures and see if it is not only compassionate but reasonable to expect that a loving and just God would punish us eternally!

http://watchtower.org/e/20020715/article_02.htm

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
27 Dec 10
1 edit

Even though I'm pleased to hear that you and others don't believe in a Hell, I still have my doubts that you know any more than anyone else. It's a pleasant thought that we live forever in some way and we have nothing to fear from a Hell, but it's just that a pleasant thought. It's based on what ? Don't tell me the Bible because that holds no water with me. E ...[text shortened]... n all your beliefs. They seem compassionate and sane. I like that in a religion or belief.
Now let's just hold on here.

I didn't say I don't believe in hell, I just said I don't believe it is a place of "everlasting" torment.

After the judgement, all those who do not "make the cut" will simply cease to exist further, being denied eternal life and suffering the ultimate punishment, eternal separation from God, i.e. the final death of their soul.

So a lifetime of sin and refutation of God will not get you sent to the "lake of fire" "forever and ever", you just won't get to go on to eternal life with God. But please realize you also won't get to continue on in some "eternal middle ground", either. Also realize the choice of ultimate destination is only your own. And no, despite what some here try to sell, you don't get unlimited "chances" to get it right.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
29 Dec 10

There are many Christians (most probably) that agree with that sentiment. its the "fundies" that seem fixated on it.

j

Moves
30 Dec 10
1 edit

=============================
After the judgement, all those who do not "make the cut" will simply cease to exist further, being denied eternal life and suffering the ultimate punishment, eternal separation from God, i.e. the final death of their soul.

But if the judgment is called "eternal judgment" (Hebrews 6:2) then how can you speak of "after the judgment" ?

What can be "after" something that has no end ?

==========================
So a lifetime of sin and refutation of God will not get you sent to the "lake of fire" "forever and ever", you just won't get to go on to eternal life with God. But please realize you also won't get to continue on in some "eternal middle ground", either. Also realize the choice of ultimate destination is only your own. And no, despite what some here try to sell, you don't get unlimited "chances" to get it right.
================================

This passage then is wrong ?

"And the devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where also the beast and the false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." (Rev. 20:10)

You do not believe that the devil, the beast, and the false prophet will be tormented "day and night forever and ever" ?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]=============================

But if the judgment is called "eternal judgme alse prophet will be tormented [b]"day and night forever and ever" ? [/b][/b]

But if the judgment is called [b]"eternal judgment" (Hebrews 6:2)
then how can you speak of "after the judgment" ?

What can be "after" something that has no end ?
[/b]

See, I'm not sure of what this means. How can judgment be eternal? I mean you get judged, then go on to your reward or punishment.

This passage then is wrong ?

[b]"And the devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where also the beast and the false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." (Rev. 20:10)

You do not believe that the devil, the beast, and the false prophet will be tormented "day and night forever and ever" ?
[/b]

No, I totally buy into that. But they are not Man.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
30 Dec 10

Now let's just hold on here.

I didn't say I don't believe in hell, I just said I don't believe it is a place of "everlasting" torment.

After the judgement, all those who do not "make the cut" will simply cease to exist further, being denied eternal life and suffering the ultimate punishment, eternal separation from God, i.e. the final death of their s ...[text shortened]... hat some here try to sell, you don't get unlimited "chances" to get it right.
You speak with such conviction. How can you know the things you speak of ?Has some minister told you these things or is it your interpretation of the Bible or what ?
I fear you are as much in the dark about these issues as I am. Face it we have been cut off from any direct communication with Truth. We have a Book "The Bible ". All religions have the Holy Book. The information we get from these Holy Books has caused tremendous confusion. Why the confusion I ask you ? Why does God not appear in the sky and set the human race straight, because He must see that the Bible is not working in doing that ?Hundred of different doctrines based on the same Book. We are in the Dark on spiritual issues. The blind leading the blind is dangerous.