1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 05:391 edit
    In another thread I asked if Satan is a God. (Thread 118513) I got no replies.

If Satan is a God, then God is infact not the only god there is.

If Satan is not a God, then what is he? Why being so afraid of him? Then he has no power superior to God's, God can cruch him whenever He wants, Satan can do no harm. Worshipping Satan is futile.

Is this definition wrong - "A god is a supernatural being with powers."
    If so, is there a better one?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 06:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

If Satan is not a God, then what is he? Why being so afraid of him? Then he has no power superior to God's, God can cruch him whenever He wants, Satan can do no harm. Worshipping Satan is futil ...[text shortened]... efinition wrong - "A god is a supernatural being with powers."
    First of all, according to the rules of English, you should not capitalize the word if it is general ie 'god' not 'God' unless there is only one God.
    Secondly, it all depends on how you choose to define the word 'god'. Even some men can rightly be called 'a god among men'.
    I believe the Bible even refers to other gods.
    But whether or not you choose to call Satan a god is separate from whether or not you believe he is stronger than God in any way. I think you will find most theists believe God is superior in every way, though why he is not crushed instantly as you suggest is not something I have heard an answer to. It is strongly related to the whole 'existence of evil' problem that theism constantly struggles with.
    I think one possible argument is that Satan has free will too and God does not want to violate it.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 06:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    First of all, according to the rules of English, you should not capitalize the word if it is general ie 'god' not 'God' unless there is only one God.
    Secondly, it all depends on how you choose to define the word 'god'. Even some men can rightly be called 'a god among men'.
    I believe the Bible even refers to other gods.
    But whether or not you choose to ...[text shortened]... possible argument is that Satan has free will too and God does not want to violate it.
    Okay, thank you for the corrrection in the mysterious English language.

Does this mean that Satan is a god?
    Or you mean that Satan is not a god?

I think that Satan and God is two unseparate entities. There can't be one without the other. If you believe of the existance of one, then you automatically belive in the existance of the other.

In your answer I can read that God accept's Satan as an alike, correct?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 06:591 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 09:44
    As I said, it all depends on your definition. I believe the Bible mentions gods in various places, but then that is the English version translated from various other languages, so one would really have to look at the original, and decide whether it means something similar to what you mean by 'god' and whether or not Satan fits that definition.
    I rather suspect that the gods mentioned in the Bible are intended to be entities quite different from Satan but I am not sure in what ways.
    At least one version I have heard about who or what Satan is, is that he was an angel. Of course there are supposedly different types of angels, but I have never heard any of them being referred to as gods.
    So I would say that most theists would probably not use the term 'god' when referring to Satan.

I think that Satan and God is two unseparate entities. There can't be one without the other. If you believe of the existance of one, then you automatically belive in the existance of the other.
    It is not quite clear what you are saying here.
    1. Are you saying that there is a logical or theological reason why Satan must exist if God exists,
    2. or are you saying that if you believe in part of Theism then you must accept the full doctrine?
    If 2. then I disagree. There are quite a lot of theists (some of whom call themselves Christians) who do not really believe in either Satan or Hell. There may even be some religions that have a 'God' and no 'Satan' or equivalent. There are certainly religions with multiple gods - none of whom are really 'Satan'.

No. I think that according to some theology, God respects certain things like free will and will not totally destroy Satan for that reason. I don't think that equates to seeing him as an 'alike'.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 10:16
    in a Biblical context it is self evident that Satan is a god. if you need the references, just ask.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 10:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    in a Biblical context it is self evident that Satan is a god. if you need the references, just ask.
    Yes please, a good ref would be great.

So, according to your opinion, when a cristian says "There is only one god, and that's is God!", he forgets about Satan? Or does he mean "There is only one god worth worshipping, and that's God!"?
  8. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 10:30

If Satan is not a God, then what is he? Why being so afraid of him? Then he has no power superior to God's, God can cruch him whenever He wants, Satan can do no harm. Worshipping Satan is futil ...[text shortened]... efinition wrong - "A god is a supernatural being with powers."
    The origins of and evil God satan have its roots in Egyptian and babylonian mythology and are not part of the original judeaic religion. If Judeism is truly monotheistic then satan does not exist, otherwise it is dualism, 2 opposing forces.....in theory
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 10:421 edit
    Yes please, a good ref would be great.

So, according to your opinion, when a cristian says "There is only one god, and that's is God!", he forgets about Satan? Or does he mean "There is only one god worth worshipping, and that's God!"?
    there are many gods Fabian, but only one Almighty God, plus a god could be anything that we give undue attention or devotion to, so that it also may not necessarily be considered a spiritual entity, as is the case with Satan

(Matthew 4:8-10) . . .Again the Devil took him along to an unusually high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, and he said to him: “All these things I will give you if you fall down and do an act of worship to me.”  Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written, . . .

evidently Satan has influence over the earth, otherwise, he would have no authority to tempt Christ by offering him the Kingdoms of the world. This is why he is described as the god of the system of things.

(2 Corinthians 4:3-4) . . .If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing,  among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

this is compounded by this statement,

(1 John 5:19-21) . . .We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.  But we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us intellectual capacity that we may gain the knowledge of the true one. And we are in union with the true one, by means of his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and life everlasting.  Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

this last phrase is interesting for anything which comes between a Christian and his God, in which he gives undue attention to , may be considered, idolatry, and by extension, a god, thus Paul speaks of those who have made gods of their bellies, because of being gluttonous.

sorry for the length of post but I could not make it smaller without omitting too many details.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 10:451 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    The origins of and evil God satan have its roots in Egyptian and babylonian mythology and are not part of the original judeaic religion. If Judeism is truly monotheistic then satan does not exist, otherwise it is dualism, 2 opposing forces.....in theory
    oh Deucer, who was Christ talking to in the wilderness, when he was tempted? RajK666?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 11:28
    Originally posted by duecer
    I wonder what 'the original judeaic religion' refers to. Do you mean what Abraham believed? What Adam believed? I think the concept within Judaism is fairly old but I don't know how old. Do you know?
    I am sure that even with Satan included you can still rightly call it monotheism ie belief in a single deity. I suspect that Satan is not a deity. But many of these words have fairly loose definitions.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 11:37

'god' or 'demi-god. ' IMHO.
    Good question Fabian! cheers!
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 11:58
    Why are you all wasting time talking about this little defeated snake? Christ has crushed the Devil and defeated him. All we need to do is remind the little snake that he has been vanquished by Christ.

I wonder about people who have morbid curiosity to talk about Satan. If they ignore him as a figment of some imagination, he is happy. But if they have a morbid fascination with him, he is happy.

He is saddened by the truth - Christ has defeated Satan and the believers in Christ are victorious over him. His future is quite miserable - eternal damnation.

The victory of Jesus over Satan works from the inside of a man to the outside. From the inside working out is the victory of Jesus over Satan.

You have to apply it.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 12:05
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Why are you all wasting time talking about this little defeated snake? Christ has crushed the Devil and defeated him. All we need to do is remind the little snake that he has been vanquished by Christ.

I wonder about people who have morbid curiosity to talk about Satan. If they ignore him as a figment of some imagination, he is happy. But if they have a ...[text shortened]... tside. From the inside working out is the victory of Jesus over Satan.

You have to apply it.
    Actually he is very powerful Jaywill, i would not underestimate him, in the book of revelation he drags a third of the stars with him, John states that he is powerful, having dominion over the earth, Peter states he is alike a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone. My opinion is that he is a megalomaniac, desiring the worship that is rightly due to God.
  15. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 12:34
    Okay, thank you for the corrrection in the mysterious English language.

Satan is the God that wrote the Bible to create division. (That 's what I learned from another thread.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree