1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am curious as to how you know his theory is lame when you don't even know what theory he has.

[b]Who here expects life just to spring up anywhere? LOL.

Prior to Louis Pasteur, just about everyone.[/b]
    It's simple really. Science has never observed nor is able to duplicate the creation of life.

Next?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's simple really. Science has never observed nor is able to duplicate the creation of life.

Next?
    Why would the fact that we are not able to create life in a test tube mean that life couldn’t have come into existence “by chance” in nature?

Do you think we are at the pinnacle of scientific knowledge and that whatever we currently can’t do must therefore have a supernatural cause?
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '10
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:28
    Pebbles and Bam-Bam are left in the care of Dino, a dinosaur, and Hoppy, a kangaroo. This seems like careless parenting, even by Stone Age standards. What would Dr. Phil say?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:282 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Why would the fact that we are not able to create life in a test tube mean that life couldn’t have come into existence “by chance” in nature?

Do you think we are at the pinnacle of scientific knowledge and that whatever we currently can’t do must therefore have a supernatural cause?
    I would think that science would want to actually observe something before believing it happens.

Call me crazy.

Then again, it could have been the Darwin fairy of random chance.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:31

Next?
    From Wikipedia:
    "Leeuwenhoek was a Dutch Reformed Calvinist. He often referred with reverence to the wonders God designed in making creatures great and small. He believed that his amazing discoveries were merely further proof of the great wonder of God's creation. Leeuwenhoek's discovery that smaller organisms procreate similarly to larger organisms challenged the contemporary belief, generally held by the 17th-century scientific community, that such organisms generated spontaneously. The position of the Church on the exact nature of the spontaneous generation of smaller organisms was ambivalent."

Before Leeuwenhoek (often called the first microbiologist, due to his observations gleaned from intricate microscopes of his own design), mainstream science believed that a piece of meat left out in the open air would spontaneously create maggots (larvae of flies), not understanding that these were caused by other flies laying their eggs. So science (of the 17th century) not only observed, but fully believed in the spontaneous creation of life.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:32
    I would think that science would want to actually observe something before believing it happens.

Call me crazy.

I thought you didn't have a problem with the theory of evolution.

Have you changed your mind again?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 15:38
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I thought you didn't have a problem with the theory of evolution.

Have you changed your mind again?
    Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of life.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:11
    People on both sides of the argument say this, and IMO it is unwarranted and unsupported by evidence.

If life came about from non-life by natural variation and selection, then the process can be studied the same way evolution of living matter is studied. There would have been no special moment when the fundamental chemical processes changed. Are you suggesting that there was such a moment? Why?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by catstorm
    Pebbles and Bam-Bam are left in the care of Dino, a dinosaur, and Hoppy, a kangaroo. This seems like careless parenting, even by Stone Age standards. What would Dr. Phil say?
    Dr. Phil is an idiot who must have received his degrees from a Cracker Jack box. He sets Psychology back a generation. His TV show does serve a purpose, however, as it gets people talking to each other, but it has little to do with Psychology.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:46
    I asked because you mentioned "Darwin fairy of random chance".
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:38
    Originally posted by JS357
    People on both sides of the argument say this, and IMO it is unwarranted and unsupported by evidence.

If life came about from non-life by natural variation and selection, then the process can be studied the same way evolution of living matter is studied. There would have been no special moment when the fundamental chemical processes changed. Are you suggesting that there was such a moment? Why?
    he is right.

evolution has no business describing how life originated. that's chemistry and physics. and how you define life.

evolution describes how life evolved across generations. (simplistic description).

you are forcing the definition by saying that chemical processes are organisms, that they react to their environment and that the most "fit" survives and reproduces into a similar chemical process.

you also forget that under certain conditions and with certain ingredients only one chemical process can occur. under the same conditions, organisms may evolve in many and diverse ways, many of them surviving and reproducing further.

it is an interesting idea from a philosphical point of view but incorrect nonetheless
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:401 edit

Call me crazy.

we have observed evolution.

it's called paleontology. and no, you don't have to actually be there to study it.

just as you don't have to "see" the electron with your eyes (it's impossible) to make experiments regarding electrons.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:181 edit
    Originally posted by catstorm
    He would say that they are better off with Dino than with Fred Flintstone.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:44
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    he is right.

evolution has no business describing how life originated. that's chemistry and physics. and how you define life.

evolution describes how life evolved across generations. (simplistic description).

you are forcing the definition by saying that chemical processes are organisms, that they react to their environment and that the most " ...[text shortened]... er.

it is an interesting idea from a philosphical point of view but incorrect nonetheless
    I understand the distinction but think it is overplayed in the lay world. Carbon makes tetrahedral bonds which works for constructing helixes. That's chemistry. Chemistry is one layer of reductionism below biology, and biochemistry is said to bridge the gap, but it's still chemistry. (Physics underlays both.)

So I'm not stretching evolution to explain chemistry, if anything I'm stretching chemistry to explain evolution.

A pre-DNA molecule encounters ammonia in a warm wet environment and with some clay surface handy as a catalyst, adds an amine function that later helps it survive if some acid drops by (I'm making this up. But something analogous to that happened.) There you have variation and selection.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:45
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    we have observed evolution.

it's called paleontology. and no, you don't have to actually be there to study it.

just as you don't have to "see" the electron with your eyes (it's impossible) to make experiments regarding electrons.
    Paleontology is a study of dead bones. Dead bones have never been seen to evolve because they are dead, dead, dead. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree