1. washing dishes
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 17:00
    After reading many posts here I became disheartened knowing that so many people don't believe in God. For those who don't believe I pray for you and pray that you reconsider. Try 2 Timothy Chapter 3. I see so much in there that is so true for the world today.

The end is coming, are we ready?
  2. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 17:11
    Originally posted by knapster
    After reading many posts here I became disheartened knowing that so many people don't believe in God. For those who don't believe I pray for you and pray that you reconsider. Try 2 Timothy Chapter 3. I see so much in there that is so true for the world today.

And I must remind you that believing in God does not automatically include believing in the Bible. I wish you Biblists could get that straight. The beginning is coming. Are you ready?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 17:20
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    And I must remind you that believing in God does not automatically include believing in the Bible. I wish you Biblists could get that straight. The beginning is coming. Are you ready?
    In which God do you believe in?
  4. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 17:31
    If you want to believe in the God of truth, you'd have to believe in the God of the Bible. If you believe in some undefined god, then you don't believe in the true God, you believe in you personal construct of God. You may disagree - but you can not say I don't get it.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 14:58

How oddly ironic. I was just thinking how disheartening it was that so many people have been duped into "believing". For those of you who have had the wool pulled over your eyes, I suggest "praying" for some clarity.

The end has come many times already. We're never ready.
  6. washing dishes
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 15:52
    Originally posted by David C
    How oddly ironic. I was just thinking how disheartening it was that so many people have been duped into "believing". For those of you who have had the wool pulled over your eyes, I suggest "praying" for some clarity.

The end has come many times already. We're never ready.
    You say that I've been "duped" into believing, but I believe with my own free will. I don't have to. It is my choice. What I don't understand is that there are many people like yourself who won't give God a chance. If you don't believe in an afterlife, then what would be the harm in trying to give God a chance? I believe that there are many out there that are just too scared to go to church for fear of actually believing in God. You don't want to be wrong so you close your eyes to the truth.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 16:111 edit
    If you don't believe in an afterlife, then what would be the harm in trying to give God a chance?
    Many people follow God to secure their future in the afterlife, so why would anyone follow God if they did not believe in the afterlife?

How can you be sure that someone has not given God a chance? I would wager that some of the agnostics on this site are former christians who became dissatisfied with the faith and left.
  8. washing dishes
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 17:27
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Many people follow God to secure their future in the afterlife, so why would anyone follow God if they did not believe in the afterlife?

How can you be sure that someone has not given God a chance? I would wager that some of the agnostics on this site are former christians who became dissatisfied with the faith and left.
    People that do not believe in an afterlife have no real purpose for life other than living, I guess. So the way that I figure it, they have nothing to lose by going to church and reading the Bible to see what God is about.

For the people that have given God a chance and turned Him down, I am truly sorry. I pray that they can give Him another try and to put away former negative feelings for a renewed attempt to become a Christian. It is a choice to serve God that has effects on what people's afterlives will be. We don't have to serve God, He has given us the option.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 18:21
    You say that I've been "duped" into believing, but I believe with my own free will. I don't have to. It is my choice. What I don't understand is that there are many people like yourself who won't give God a chance. If you don't believe in an afterlife, then what would be the harm in trying to give God a chance? I believe that there are many out the ...[text shortened]... of actually believing in God. You don't want to be wrong so you close your eyes to the truth.
    Coletti says there is no such thing as free will, so apparently you have been duped. Sorry about that.
  10. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 18:35
    What I don't understand is that there are many people like yourself who won't give God a chance. If you don't believe in an afterlife, then what would be the harm in trying to give God a chance? I believe that there are many out there that are just too scared to go to church for fear of actually believing in God. You don't want to be wrong so you close your eyes to the truth.
    Have you ever been to a mosque? How much do you know about the Koran? If you know all about Islam and don't like it, how about the Hindu Vedas, or the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama? Etc...

It's easy for Christians to say 'Why don't you give our God a chance?' But from a non-believer's perspective, there's no more reason to follow your faith than anyone else's.

In the words of one atheist, "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one god fewer than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 19:21
    People that do not believe in an afterlife have no real purpose for life other than living, I guess. So the way that I figure it, they have nothing to lose by going to church and reading the Bible to see what God is about.
    You lose the time spent on church and bible reading. This is a complete waste of time for someone that does not believe. Imagine listening to a sermon when you disagree with much of what the pastor is saying and you're not even allowed to voice your own opinion.

People ought to come to a belief because it rings true with them, and not because of some vague threat of damnation.
  12. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 20:08
    Where you please tell me where GOD said that. Or where you got that information from.
  13. washing dishes
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 20:10
    Marauder, no free will, I'm not sure exactly how Coletti means that. I do believe that everyone has a choice on whether or not to believe God.

I can understand your perspective Acolyte, but you just have to have faith in the one true God 🙂

Dogg, it's not only the threat of damnation, but the offer of peace in heaven. Look at it this way, you aren't keeping yourself out of hell, but insuring your place in heaven by the side of our Lord and Savior.
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 20:13
    Marauder, no free will, I'm not sure exactly how Coletti means that. I do believe that everyone has a choice on whether or not to believe God.

I can understand your perspective Acolyte, but you just have to have faith in the one true God 🙂

Dogg, it's not only the threat of damnation, but the offer of peace in heaven. Look at it this way, you aren ...[text shortened]... ping yourself out of hell, but insuring your place in heaven by the side of our Lord and Savior.
    Interesting, so you act in accord with God's will to secure some reward in Heaven? Sounds like a relatively unsophisticated form of egoism to me.
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 20:15
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    Where you please tell me where GOD said that. Or where you got that information from.
    Jews believed in God before there was a Bible, so belief in the contents of the Bible obviously isn't necessary for belief in God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree