1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 17:17
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-07-seat-meta-consciousness-brain.html

It would show the mind and the brain are one and the same, not separate as some people think.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 19:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse

It would show the mind and the brain are one and the same, not separate as some people think.
    It says, "The human capacity of self-perception, self-reflection and consciousness development are among the unsolved mysteries of neuroscience."

There is nothing about showing that the mind and the brain are one and the same. The article does not even mention the word "mind" at all.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '12 20:28

So morality is just a matter of chemical reactions in the brain then ?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '12 20:58
    Originally posted by jaywill
    What did you think it was? Floating consciousness somewhere outside your body?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '12 21:211 edit
    something far more complex than these lamebo materialistic explanations.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jul '12 21:581 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    something far more complex than these lamebo materialistic explanations.
    Humans are not as complex as you would like to believe. Sure, complex as hell, but not on a supernatural level. Just a chemical engine that we are getting to know more and more about as time goes by.

There has even been found in a region of the brain where if you zap it with a pulsed magnetic field of a certain pulse recurrence frequency and strength, it elicits the response of the people thinking there is a god present, in short, the religious center of the brain that can be artificially manipulated to make you think you are in the presence of supernatural entities. All thanks to those mere chemicals flying around inside your and everyone else's brain.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jul '12 23:24
    Humans are not as complex as you would like to believe. Sure, complex as hell, but not on a supernatural level. Just a chemical engine that we are getting to know more and more about as time goes by.

There has even been found in a region of the brain where if you zap it with a pulsed magnetic field of a certain pulse recurrence frequency and strength, i ...[text shortened]... tities. All thanks to those mere chemicals flying around inside your and everyone else's brain.
    So is it that you and other atheists do not have this religious center in the brain? Or perhaps it has not been zapped to turn it on? Is that religious center the result of millions of years of evolution? If so, why should this be something that is necessary to our evolution? Maybe, it would be better if you could first explain how the DNA information language code got into a cell to keep it alive. Perhaps then we could accept your theories more readily.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 00:501 edit

There has even been found in a region of the brain where if you zap it with a pulsed magnetic field of a certain pulse recurrence frequency and strength, i ...[text shortened]... tities. All thanks to those mere chemicals flying around inside your and everyone else's brain.
    Surely the "god present" would be a reflection/projection of the subjects pre-conceived notions of what a god would look like. What would an atheist see? a bunch of numbers 🙂
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 00:53
    Originally posted by jaywill
    On one level, yes, thats exactly what it is.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 02:15
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    On one level, yes, thats exactly what it is.
    I wish you could explain how these chemical reactions are activated to produce morality in the brain. I know we learn morality from teachings like those in the Holy Bible; but unlike Atheists, I do not believe morality is a result of evolution.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 02:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I wish you could explain how these chemical reactions are activated to produce morality in the brain. I know we learn morality from teachings like those in the Holy Bible; but unlike Atheists, I do not believe morality is a result of evolution.
    What about morality 10,000 years ago? There was no bible then. Also, what about the morality of peoples who never heard of or saw the bible or a christian? What about their morality?
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 04:32
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    yes, we all know you believe morality is a result of some guy eating a fruit from a tree.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 06:41
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    yes, we all know you believe morality is a result of some guy eating a fruit from a tree.
    It was the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 06:48
    What about morality 10,000 years ago? There was no bible then. Also, what about the morality of peoples who never heard of or saw the bible or a christian? What about their morality?
    I doubt if we humans were around 10,000 years ago. But the early humans must have learned their morality from Adam and Eve.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '12 07:363 edits

I'll take that as a "yes" - there are no moral sentiments except chemicals interacting. There is then no objective standard of right and wrong.

Do you know the chemical composition of a murder molecule ?
    Do you know the weight of a hate molecule or the structure of a love molecule ?

Would you say that Adolf Hitler did no real evil to slaughter 6,000,000 Jews ? Was it not really evil, but only a bad chemical reaction ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree