Sermon Competition #4

Sermon Competition #4

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
08 Jul 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
Which do you think would be more effective, that or about 5 years of psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy? That does'nt really help does it? Oops, wrong thread.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Jul 07

Originally posted by SharpeMother
HAHAHA, that is EXACTLY what they were doing to me. My husband warned me to not confront them on anything but I am stubborn.

Anyway, now that I've finally submitted my sermon I am finding it hard to be patient for the evaluations next weekend!
Actually, I've already finished yours, but sorry you're going to have to wait.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
08 Jul 07

Originally posted by josephw
I'm not afraid of failing.
Ah, but you would say that!

😉

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
08 Jul 07

I think I'll have to stick to my decision to sit this one out. There is absolutely nothing coming to me. I think of the sermon as being in terms of my "purpose" yet I can't see what "my" purpose nor what "pawnhandler's" purpose is.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jul 07

Originally posted by pawnhandler
I think I'll have to stick to my decision to sit this one out. There is absolutely nothing coming to me. I think of the sermon as being in terms of my "purpose" yet I can't see what "my" purpose nor what "pawnhandler's" purpose is.
There is nothing on your heart to do?
Kelly

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
08 Jul 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
There is nothing on your heart to do?
Kelly
No, not at the moment.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jul 07

No, not at the moment.
Hope something does pop up, your input is one I'd like to see.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Jul 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Ah, but you [b]would say that!

😉[/b]
Write one for this, I'd be willing to bet yours would be very interesting
too.
Kelly

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Jul 07

I've heard it said that when Prince was in the recording studio and had "writer's block" or performing block, they would send in a bunch of women and that seemed to help.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
08 Jul 07

I've heard it said that when Prince was in the recording studio and had "writer's block" or performing block, they would send in a bunch of women and that seemed to help.
LOL All I could think of was "Jugs For Jesus." Actually, I thought of something while I was at church. Let me see what I can do.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Jul 07

LOL All I could think of was "Jugs For Jesus." Actually, I thought of something while I was at church. Let me see what I can do.
See, the kind of advice you're gonna get in this exercise is like none that you will find in any theological training that I know of. We are free to give advice and consultation without being fired. But then again, it's not we're getting paid.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
08 Jul 07

See, the kind of advice you're gonna get in this exercise is like none that you will find in any theological training that I know of. We are free to give advice and consultation without being fired. But then again, it's not we're getting paid.
See, and yet we consistently fail to show you'all the honor and respect you deserve for the countless hours you put in... I'm ashamed of my ingratitude...

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
08 Jul 07

Why are you here? I don't mean why are you sitting there, but what is your purpose on Earth? Why were you born? Does God have a special job for you?

If your life has been like mine, it's hard to answer that question at first. There is no doubt that God isn't calling me to find a cure for a major disease. I'm lucky if I remember to take cold medicine when I'm feeling miserable. He's certainly not calling me to make the world a more peaceful place, because there are few things I enjoy as much as arguing. I'm not destined to be either famous or infamous. I doubt people will name babies or streets or schools after me. But lest you think my existence is merely pathetic and as useful as condoms in a convent, look again.

In my first sermon, I showed you how my life changed and how you and I are important parts of God's never-ending creation. You looked at Psalm139 in a new way. In my second sermon, I used Luke 11:33 to show the importance of using the gifts God gave everyone, not just men. Although the reading was familiar, few people had really looked deeply into its meaning. My third sermon, based on John 13:14 was dubbed “your God is too small” It showed you that unless you're living your faith, you really don't have a religion at all; you're a fraud instead. Dear friends and neighbors, these sermons show you what my purpose is.

My purpose is to make your world bigger. My purpose is to introduce you to new ways of thinking, new pieces of information, new points of view. My purpose is to help you critically think about what you believe. You will not always agree with me. You may not always even take me seriously. But my words will be there in the back of your mind, telling you that there is more than one way to look at situations, to interpret readings and experiences. According to Proverbs 9:9, “Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.”

You are already wise men and women; no one doubts that. But many of you have lived mainstream lives, having the sorts of families growing up and in adulthood that fit neatly into half-hour television shows. Perhaps you have been blessed with loving parents, a loving spouse, healthy children, a safe place to live ... and your faith is simply another piece of this life. Perhaps you belong to a worship community that believes exactly as you do.

That's why you need me. I'm here to shake you up once in a while, to make you really think about what you believe and why. It is not enough to simply say “the Bible says...” Anyone can do that. You have done research and proven that you aren't simply parrots but care about your beliefs and are capable of backing them up. I can't help but think that our God prefers your thinking faith to those who simply echo their pastor's, parents', or friends' words ... but your thinking faith requires a nudge sometimes. Whether we journey together or separately, I hope we continue to make each others' worlds bigger.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
09 Jul 07

Why are you here? I don't mean why are you sitting there, but what is your purpose on Earth? Why were you born? Does God have a special job for you?

If your life has been like mine, it's hard to answer that question at first. There is no doubt that God isn't calling me to find a cure for a major disease. I'm lucky if I remember to take cold medic ...[text shortened]... ogether or separately, I hope we continue to make each others' worlds bigger.
Sermon withdrawn. When I came back earlier to delete it via edit, it was too late. So after thinking about it, I'll just withdraw it from the competition instead. Thanks.

S

Moves
09 Jul 07

Sermon withdrawn. When I came back earlier to delete it via edit, it was too late. So after thinking about it, I'll just withdraw it from the competition instead. Thanks.
Why would you withdraw it? My husband and I thought it was a well-written message. Very interesting and intelligent.