1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 02:42
    A few years back we created threads for everyone to give a sermon of some kind. There were three judges and they rated sermons on any given topic at hand. At the time it was fun and wondered if anyone was interested again.
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 04:10
    great idea. here's my entry:

"what, me worry?"
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Sep '11 04:14
    My sermon would be titled 'why we don't need a god' and our motto, Pray for the success of atheism.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 02:44
    I don't know if you remeber back when we had sermons. There were three judges and a topic. Both atheists and those of faith particiapted. It was a rare thread where bashing others and their ideas was prohibited.

So again I ask, is anyone interested?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 02:52
    I'm out, blasephemy is too funny not to be spiritual
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 06:18
    I love this idea
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 15:08
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I love this idea
    Would you like to be a judge or give a sermon?
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 15:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't know if you remeber back when we had sermons. There were three judges and a topic. Both atheists and those of faith particiapted. It was a rare thread where bashing others and their ideas was prohibited.

So again I ask, is anyone interested?
    Depends on what the topic is. Or do we get to choose whatever we want?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 17:103 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    My topic would be, 'the insidious nature of materialism and its roots in the evolutionary
    hypothesis, how it has a detrimental effect on society and how we can find solutions
    through the adoption of the Christian principles'. there I've said enough, do i win?
    whats the prize anyway? is Whodey offering an all expenses paid trip to his personal
    Disney land ranch?
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 18:371 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    My topic would be, 'the insidious nature of materialism and its roots in the evolutionary
    hypothesis, how it has a detrimental effect on society and how we can find solutions
    through the adoption of the Christian principles'. there I've said enough, do i win?
    whats the prize anyway? is Whodey offering an all expenses paid trip to his personal
    Disney land ranch?
    Is that the thesis where you try and make the bizarre link between the materialist philosophy and a materialist lifestyle and where you also witter an about people going to B & Q and a Sunday is a sign of the moral fabric of the UK falling apart before our very eyes?
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 19:35
    Still waiting on the answer to this question - I'd like to know what kind of framework is in mind for a sermon competition.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 19:38
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Is that the thesis where you try and make the bizarre link between the materialist philosophy and a materialist lifestyle and where you also witter an about people going to B & Q and a Sunday is a sign of the moral fabric of the UK falling apart before our very eyes?
    While they are clearly distinct concepts, I would not necessarily rule out an argument that tried to establish a causal link between the two, i.e. that a materialist philosophy at the very least predisposes one toward a materialist lifestyle. I am not saying that there is such a link, but I wouldn't mind hearing how Robbie goes about trying to establish one.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 19:40
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Still waiting on the answer to this question - I'd like to know what kind of framework is in mind for a sermon competition.
    Yeah, come on Whodey. The only time anyone has taken an interest in one of his threads and he decides to hide.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 20:20
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    yes, the very one, my opus magnum!
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 21:33
    While they are clearly distinct concepts, I would not necessarily rule out an argument that tried to establish a causal link between the two, i.e. that a materialist philosophy at the very least predisposes one toward a materialist lifestyle. I am not saying that there is such a link, but I wouldn't mind hearing how Robbie goes about trying to establish one.
    He's had a crack at this before. I'll dig it out tomorrow.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree