Sermon competition

Sermon competition

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by whodey
Ok, Suzianne you are hereby forced to be another judge...........

Nope, didn't seem to work. :'(
Step aside, I'll try.

O Suzianne, we beseech thee to judge us worthless sinners! We implore thee to judge us!

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by rwingett
Step aside, I'll try.

O Suzianne, we beseech thee to judge us worthless sinners! We implore thee to judge us!
you're using the wrong strategy.

suzianne, you are not qualified to be a judge, don't even think about being one.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Sep 11

One judge might actually be better than two or three. After all, if we only have one judge there will be no doubt as to the winner. The other way you could have a myriad of conflicting decisions.

As for choosing the topic, I have the utmost confidence in our judge to pick a topic that everyone would have an interet is giving a sermon about.
correct. 3 judges are best for judging one thing. 1 judge is best for judging multiple things.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Sep 11

What I was really hoping for was an open exchange of expression about what people believe without the bickering. Why focus on the judging? So what if the judges are biased. I got news for ya, if you were a judge you would have a biased side as well no matter how well you were able to hide it.
one who is completely unbiased cannot be a judge. counterintuitive, but true.

w

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
one who is completely unbiased cannot be a judge. counterintuitive, but true.
What about yourself? Want to be a judge?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Sep 11

What about yourself? Want to be a judge?
i'm completely unbiased.

w

Moves
08 Sep 11

i'm completely unbiased.
So would you like to be a judge?

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
08 Sep 11

So would you like to be a judge?
i think you're counting your chickens before they hatch. first, find out who will be writing the sermons, then they must choose amongst themselves who would be acceptable judges.

if you first choose the judges and they are unacceptable to those who will be writing the sermons, no sermons will be written.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
08 Sep 11

i think you're counting your chickens before they hatch. first, find out who will be writing the sermons, then they must choose amongst themselves who would be acceptable judges.

if you first choose the judges and they are unacceptable to those who will be writing the sermons, no sermons will be written.
this is a really good point, but there still needs to be a subject. perhaps there could be a vote on the subject?

w

Moves
08 Sep 11

I don't think everyone knows if they will give a sermon as of yet. I think alot depends on the topic to see if it inspires them.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Sep 11

I don't think everyone knows if they will give a sermon as of yet. I think alot depends on the topic to see if it inspires them.
So we need a vote on the subject,yeah?

Work it out and lets get moving 🙂

w

Moves
08 Sep 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel

We should vote in the other thread. So take a vote man!!

p
Dawg of the Lord

The South

Moves
08 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel

I know I'm jumping in here kind of late, but aren't sermons supposed to be be based on the text (in Christian churches, usually one or more of the Scripture readings) of the day? Instead of a simple topic, I think it might be good to nominate a favorite passage (not longer than, say, a parable--that's about the right degree of ambiguity 🙂 ) and have the "preachers" meditate, cogitate, explicate, expound, or otherwise riff on that.

Maybe it's a little late to take that approach for the first one, but it's an alternative. This might also provide better motivation and focus for recruiting on both sides of the contest.

(And no, at this stage I'm just an interested observer. 🙂 )

edit: Once the text for a sermon is selected, it could be posted as a separate thread, and each preacher would reply-and-quote his (or her) sermon to the initial post. Once all the contestants were done, or the deadline passed, judging could be done on the thread. Then the free-for-all could begin....

p
Dawg of the Lord

The South

Moves
08 Sep 11

I'll even throw the first proposal out there, a quote from Albert Taylor Bledsoe:

The man who really seeks the truth, and, when found, clings to it as the choicest treasure of his soul, may well leave his consistency to take care of itself. But the man who seeks place, or power, or popularity more than the truth, should indeed have a good memory. The one may, and indeed will, sometimes change his opinions, but then, in the midst of all his changes, he will ever be true, like the needle, which only turns until it finds the pole. Whereas the other, in his variations, is like the weathercock, which shiftIs with the breeze of the passing hour, and never finds a point of permanent rest.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
09 Sep 11
2 edits

Originally posted by pyxelated
I'll even throw the first proposal out there, a quote from Albert Taylor Bledsoe:

[b]The man who really seeks the truth, and, when found, clings to it as the choicest treasure of his soul, may well leave his consistency to take care of itself. But the man who seeks place, or power, or popularity more than the truth, should indeed have a good memory. The ...[text shortened]... ich shiftIs with the breeze of the passing hour, and never finds a point of permanent rest.
[/b]
Edit: Made a new thread because I see the topic has already been decided.