1. At the Revolution
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 20:04
    Originally posted by Mimor
    Why not? We also have photo, music and prose competitions.
    All right, I'll give it to you.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 21:53
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    One other thing. Will no one pray for the stock market besides me and DoctorScribbles?
    Why don't you hear me? I told you before. I pray all the time for everything. It's covered. 😉

I guess I know where I'll be at about midnight on the 2nd. 😛 God I hate deadlines!
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 03:122 edits
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    Yeah, 'cause God really cares about the stock market. He really, really does.

She.

It.

Whatever.
    The vast majority of "Christians" worship the God of Gimme. This is who they pray to.

Stock market; new car; better job; academy awards; victory at war; victory in sports; etc. The list just goes on and on...
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 07:28
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    The vast majority of "Christians" worship the God of Gimme. This is who they pray to.

Stock market; new car; better job; academy awards; victory at war; victory in sports; etc. The list just goes on and on...
    Ahh, my friend ToO, but didn't Jesus Himself say "Ask of me anything in My name and I will give it."? That implies that God wants us to ask Him for things.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 07:32
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Ahh, my friend ToO, but didn't Jesus Himself say "Ask of me anything in My name and I will give it."? That implies that God wants us to ask Him for things.
    Unless he is a reluctant giver.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 13:552 edits
    Here are some things to think about. Take a look at these two passages:

Matthew 7:7-11
    "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!"

Luke 11:9-13
    "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks, receives; and he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, it will be opened. 11 Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? 12 Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

Notice any similarities 🙂 How about the difference?

Now look at the verse immediately preceding the passage from Luke.

Luke 11:10
    "I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs."

Does what "he needs" include things of this world?

John 12:25-26
    "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:02
    You people realize, don't you, that if nobody else submits an entry, I'm going to win this? Do you really want me to be able to add Champion of Homiletics to my ever-growing list of site titles?
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:071 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You people realize, don't you, that if nobody else submits an entry, I'm going to win this? Do you really want me to be able to add Champion of Homiletics to my ever-growing list of site titles?
    I think the judges would present the best candidates, personally. Wouldn't it make sense to have the general RHP public the ones who decide a winner with votes?
    Anyway I beleive Shav and Joseph are planning to chalange you.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:09
    Here are some things to think about. Take a look at these two passages:

Matthew 7:7-11
    "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf, ...[text shortened]... , there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."
    This does not fit the criteria of the sermon competition and is therefore disqualified.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:13
    This does not fit the criteria of the sermon competition and is therefore disqualified.
    Good one. Sorry for getting so far off topic, but I wanted to respond to PinkFloyd's post.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:15
    Originally posted by yo its me
    I think the judges would present the best candidates, personally. Wouldn't it make sense to have the general RHP public the ones who decide a winner with votes?
    Anyway I beleive Shav and Joseph are planning to chalange you.
    If American Idol had that format, this guy would have won.

YouTube

Anyway, we have a diverse group of judges who I think will give thoughtful responses.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:15
    Good one. Sorry for getting so far off topic, but I wanted to respond to PinkFloyd's post.
    You are welcome to enter the competition.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:19
    If American Idol had that format, this guy would have won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyNpU484k_k

Anyway, we have a diverse group of judges who I think will give thoughtful responses.
    oooh my ears 🙁
    love they way he shaks his hair though 😵
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 14:21
    Not material and worldly things. He want us to ask for the right things and then He was give us the rest.

Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

You cant be seeking the kingdom of God if you are praying for material things.

Then there is the example of Solomon who asked for wisdom but got everything else as well, because he asked for the right thing.

I Kings 3:5 In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee.
    6 And Solomon said, ......

9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?
    10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.
    11 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;
    12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.
    13 And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.
  15. SEMO
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 21:28
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I am afraid he is right, if no one else is going to compete please let us know so we can declare Doc. Scribbles as the winner. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree