1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 14:461 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I will doing all my judging in the next 48hrs.
    Please list the entries,ie. the names of the people submitting them.(in alphabetical/numerical order, so we can easily reference them. As soon as the list appears (please do a bit of leg work for me) I rpomise to give the sermons my full attention and leave the other threads alone until it's done)
    So the contestants are:

1. Whodey
    2. Rajk999
    3. Taoman
    4. Rwingett
    5. Melanerpes
    6. Black Beetle
    7. Jaywill (who posted in another thread titled "Sermon Contest entry"😉
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 15:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    So the contestants are:

1. Whodey
    2. Rajk999
    3. Taoman
    4. Rwingett
    5. Melanerpes
    6. Black Beetle
    Whodey I did not make a sermon entry. I wanted to but I dont have the ability to write that well unfortunately. What I posted was a simple sermon by Christ which had many words of wisdom and also if one were to read it carefully, many examples of the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

For instance Christ said "ye have heard" .. thats an example of knowledge ; and then he would say ".. but I say unto you..." thats an example of wisdom.

Sorry for not clearing that up earlier.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 23:16
    I just read Taomans entry twice.
    The opening metaphor either gets you or it doesn't. It worked for me.
    Nice short entry that appeals to this judge's attention span.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 23:211 edit
    Jaywills entry was -short! (?)
    And like RJHinds pointed out , not much to do with the sermon title. 2 thumbs up from me as a judge. (Less work).
    Needless to say it was very tounge in cheek if jaywills previous postings are anything to go by.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 23:34
    Rwingett- you too had a nice metaphor running through your piece. Yours was more concerning the whole of humanity whereas Taomans was more directed at the individual more. Hmmmm
    Very good though. It's sure to get points from me. ..
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 23:38
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Whodey I did not make a sermon entry. I wanted to but I dont have the ability to write that well unfortunately. What I posted was a simple sermon by Christ which had many words of wisdom and also if one were to read it carefully, many examples of the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

For instance Christ said "ye have heard" .. thats an example of k ...[text shortened]... t I say unto you..." thats an example of wisdom.

Sorry for not clearing that up earlier.
    Hi, I am not judging posts that consist of a part of the Bible in this sermon event. If others want to, that's not up to me. I'm not saying it's not a great sermon, I just won't be judging it.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 00:19
    Originally posted by JS357
    Hi, I am not judging posts that consist of a part of the Bible in this sermon event. If others want to, that's not up to me. I'm not saying it's not a great sermon, I just won't be judging it.
    It's not a valid entry. Rajk himself said so
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 00:291 edit
    Melanerpes (I'm a bad speller)- your entry would've been great if it came after rwingett's entry, but I'm not judging it like that.
    On it's own merits, after only one reading, I doubt I'll be giving you any points-this is subject to change as are all the great immutable Laws.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 00:31
    And thats my inintial blurbs done.
    I'm ready to distribute points when you guys r ready.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 00:40
    And thats my inintial blurbs done.
    I'm ready to distribute points when you guys r ready.
    I'm not ready but don't wait for me unless you want to. My target is to post my ratings (3 points for my favorite entry, 2 to the next, and 1 to the next, with blurbs on all the entries, in one post, on Wednesday two days from now, or if time permits, Tuesday.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 01:08
    Yo its me!! Where did ya go son?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 05:44
    After two readings of BB's sermon (the second with the music off), I can say that it is truly a great sermon.

(some problem(s) may arise here (and correct me of I'm worng, but if the sermons are being directed at the regular readers of this forum, (they must be a little bit), then some of the christians (and others ) may have trouble with terms like ...[text shortened]... go. )possibly more later after more readings and/or comments from the others. Cheers😀
    It had music? That could matter. 🙂
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 06:08
    I've printed off the entries from Rwingett, Melanerpes, black beetle, whodey, Taoman and jaywill. Thank you all for entering 🙂
    I will be reading them tomorrow becasue today is far too busy! and posting tomorrow evening if I can.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 16:54
    MY winners are 4,6,3. That's 3 points for rwingett,2 for black beetle and 1 for Taoman.

Any furthur queries will be answered if necessary.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 17:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    So the contestants are:

1. Whodey
    2. Rajk999
    3. Taoman
    4. Rwingett
    5. Melanerpes
    6. Black Beetle
    Sermon 2011: Judgment Day

Hi,

I keep noodling over this and so am just going to post it and be done. I haven't looked at the other judges' rankings (if they have been posted yet).

I liked something about each of the sermons, and would rank them all above average compared to most I have heard, in one way or another. Ranking the sermons against each other was a definite problem. I didn’t judge the Sermon on the Mount.

I tried to assess each one according on a scale of 1 – 5 according to the following criteria, and summed the results. I report the totals for the top 3. In some cases the sermon was just fine, but not on-topic enough for me.

Criteria:

1. Communicative excellence. Includes clarity, being on-topic (knowledge versus wisdom), and relevance/accuracy of any quotes or citations.
    2. Faithfulness to a spiritual standard or basis. Includes reference to, or clear implication of a spiritual idea or standard.
    3. Transformational power. Includes potential to alter, or reinforce commitment to, existing beliefs or attitudes.
    4. Whether I like the tone/message and wanted to read it again.

Taoman: Simple, clear, direct, on-topic; appropriate spiritual content, brevity invites re-reading, which may enhance transformative value. I liked the reference to more than one spiritual base. 19 points.

Black Beetle: Well stated; reasonably on-topic and has potential for repeated reading to unpack spiritual messages; will tend to reinforce more than transform; I like its respectful positive tone. 18 points.

Whodey: Well constructed, thoughtful, on-topic, good spiritual references, not especially transformational; I liked the linkage of wisdom to love. 17 points.

I'm not including ratings for the rest:

Rwingett: On-topic, well organized; good spiritual references, a thoughtful approach rather than an uplifting one. I would have liked to have seen it end with a more clearly stated, suggested wisdom-based approach to/attitude toward the problems stated (but maybe the idea was to leave it open).

Melanerpes: Down to earth language but somewhat off topic; specific spiritual references, modest but positive transformational power, I liked the realistic, conversational tone.

Jaywill: Difficult to relate to the topic, clever use of rhetorical irony, the quotation is of disputed accuracy* (this is not Jaywill’s doing); the irony implies a spiritual (supernatural) alternative; will probably reinforce existing convictions on both sides; the questionable quotation and topic may have skewed my rating.

* http://evolutionwiki.org/wiki/Lewontin_on_materialism
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cm/v20/n3/quote-amazing-admission

So for me, it’s Taoman with three points, Black Beetle with two, and Whodey with one, in that order, in a tight race.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree