sex before marriage.

sex before marriage.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
09 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Kaboooomba
i guess i don't understand how God can marry two people who don't believe or want anything to do with Him. is it the government that marries these people and not God?
I didn't marry the god or marry at god's behest. I didn't marry the government or marry at their behest. I wanted to get married and so did my partner, so we did: (end of)

l

London

Moves
09 Mar 06

i guess i don't understand how God can marry two people who don't believe or want anything to do with Him. is it the government that marries these people and not God?
Actually, even in a Christian marriage, it is the couple themselves who marry each other; i.e. they are the ministers of matrimony.

K

In the wind.

Moves
09 Mar 06

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
christians believe marriage is ordained by god, but I don't. I'm married. Do you have a problem with that. I can make choices without needing a god. Its not hard (to make the choices, getting it right is a little more tricky)
well i guess i do from a Christian point-of-view which i am wanted to understand more through intelligent discussion. in God's eyes, are you actually married? hey, i ain't an expert in these areas... i'm asking questions.

l

London

Moves
09 Mar 06

well i guess i do from a Christian point-of-view which i am wanted to understand more through intelligent discussion. in God's eyes, are you actually married?
Well, yes.

If the couple are both baptised Christians (even if they do not believe in God at the time of marriage), then the marriage is sacramental and therefore indissoluble.

K

In the wind.

Moves
09 Mar 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Actually, even in a Christian marriage, it is the couple themselves who marry each other; i.e. they are the ministers of matrimony.
so then for Christians... what is God's role in marriage?

l

London

Moves
09 Mar 06

so then for Christians... what is God's role in marriage?
I suppose the answer is that God unites the couple spiritually. The resulting union (i.e. the family) has not just a natural dimension, but a supernatural one as well.

K

In the wind.

Moves
09 Mar 06

I suppose the answer is that God unites the couple spiritually. The resulting union (i.e. the family) has not just a natural dimension, but a supernatural one as well.
and two Non-Christians? would God unite them if they don't believe or even care for Him?

l

London

Moves
09 Mar 06

and two Non-Christians? would God unite them if they don't believe or even care for Him?
They would still have a natural union. But the marriage wouldn't be sacramental, no.

K

In the wind.

Moves
09 Mar 06

They would still have a natural union. But the marriage wouldn't be sacramental, no.
so the government marries them, not God?

l

London

Moves
09 Mar 06

so the government marries them, not God?
No, they still marry each other. God blesses them with all the natural joys that come with marriage.

K

In the wind.

Moves
09 Mar 06

No, they still marry each other. God blesses them with all the natural joys that come with marriage.
sorry, i had the wrong word. unites them.

l

London

Moves
09 Mar 06

sorry, i had the wrong word. unites them.
That would still be each other.

K

In the wind.

Moves
09 Mar 06

That would still be each other.
my view as a Christian is that God unites a couple who both believe, and also is a part of that marriage. a cord of three strands was something that was said during my brother's wedding.

for a believer and a non-believer my view is similar as God will still unite the couple. due to the non-believer, i don't think that God would play anywhere near as big a role in the couples life. this could still be good in the sense that the non-believer may end up believing at a future date and would not have many problems associated with becoming a believer, due to their Godly partner.

two non-believers is something i am not too sure about. i think it is just as likely God would unite two in a defacto relationship. i think there would be problems evident in a married couple as such becoming believers at a later date.

yes, and let's not forget 'L' 😉. now i am really confused.

if God is not uniting these people, then what is a priest, pastor or whatever there for?

d

An' it harms none...

Moves
10 Mar 06

So non-christians who get married are not filled with joy?

l

London

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by dags
So non-christians who get married are not filled with joy?
I am talking about non-Christians.