1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 02:261 edit
    Originally posted by @checkbaiter
    I disagree, I think you are mistaken about the verse in question in 1 Timothy. God did not make woman to be slaves for men, but to be companions. It is absurd that woman cannot teach, I have heard wonderful and inspiring teaching from woman.
    Here is a helpful commentary....
    Commentary for: 1 Timothy 2:12

[b]I do not permit a woman to teach that she ...[text shortened]... Role of Women In The Church”.]

http://www.revisedenglishversion.com/1-Timothy/chapter2/12[/b]
    You are free to ignore God's truth as well.

Perhaps you can count the women Jesus chose to be disciples.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 02:292 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You have a heretical view of what the Bible states.

You claim that this female is on par with the 12. You claim that she had authority over men.

None of this is in the Bible.

You are a liberal heretic who has been warned. You are without excuse.

Romans 16:7 states that Andronicus and Junia (arguably a female name) were notable among the apostles.

Now you may say "Well. I don't think Junia referred to a woman."
    Or you may say "Well, I don't believe verse 16 indicates that Junia was an apostle."

I respect that difference of opinion in the matter of interpretation of the text.
    But it doesn't at all rise to the level of meaning how I said Nee saw it was a heresy.

"Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners, who are note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me." (Rom: 16:7 RcV)

Sounds like they also were imprisoned for being gospel preachers like Paul - " fellow prisoners" at some time or another.

You claim that this female is on par with the 12. You claim that she had authority over men.

No I don't think I said that. I quoted the Bible that there were obviously other apostles besides the original twelve disciples who became the first apostles.

I recongnize that Paul and Barnabus, for example, were called apostles. Yet they were not exactly on par with the original twelve apostles.

Is it heretical to recognize that Paul and Barnabus and Silas and Timothy were apostles YET not of the original twelve discipes who became the first apostles ?

None of this is in the Bible.

I just showed you it was.

You are a liberal heretic who has been warned. You are without excuse.

You sound like an obsessed man.

What WARNING do I need to not believe that there were apostles after the twelve first apostles? Otherwise the word of God would not SPEAK of the apostles like Paul and Barnabus.

Acts 14:14

" But when the apostles, Barnabus and Paul , heard this ... "

You intend to give me some solemn warning not to believe Acts 14:14 ? Thanks but no warning is needed.

And guess what ?
    Andronicus and Junia were notable among the APOSTLES (Rom. 16:7)

What warning do I need to not take the pure word of God for what it states ?

You often talk like an obsessed man with an idol - the IDOL of conservatism for conservatism's sake. You sound like you fall down before this idol seeking all deliverance.

Idolatry hinders spiritual growth. Too often your preaching is of the idolatry of your conservatism for the sake of conservatism.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 02:36
    Originally posted by @sonship

[b] Romans 16:7
    states that Andronicus and Junia (arguably a female name) were notable among the apostles.

Now you may say "Well. I don't think Junia referred to a woman."
    Or you may say "Well, I don't believe verse 16 indicates that Junia was an apostle."

I respe ...[text shortened]... Too often your preaching is of the idolatry of your conservatism for the sake of conservatism.[/b]
    Do you know what the term apostle means?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 02:403 edits
    Do you know what the term apostle means?
    Sent one.

Does or does not the word of God identify Barnabus and Paul as "apostles" in the book of Acts? - Acts 14:14

Were they of the twelve original apostles ?
    Were they, regardless of this, still "apostles" ?

No and Yes.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 02:54
    Sent one.

Does or does not the word of God identify Barnabus and Paul as [b]"apostles"
    in the book of Acts? - Acts 14:14

Were they of the twelve original apostles ?
    Were they, regardless of this, still "apostles" ?

No and Yes.[/b]
    http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/a-female-apostle.html

Evidently the term apostle is pretty generic and really doesn't mean much.

The earliest text does not indicate a female's name at all.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 08:484 edits
    http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/bible-study/a-female-apostle.html

Evidently the term apostle is pretty generic and really doesn't mean much.

The earliest text does not indicate a female's name at all.
    The term apostle is significant. Yet in latter years it seems that out of respect for the early apostles Christians referred instead to "missionaries."

I didn't look at your website, yet. But I already indicated that Nee wrote that it was some scholars who say Junia was a female name. He referred to them as good authorities.

I copied this:
    Romans 16:7 speaks of two notable apostles, Andronicus and Junia, and good authorities agree that “Junia” is a woman’s name. So here we have a sister as an apostle and a notable apostle at that.

I am not surprised then that you could find some expositors who would disagree with the indication of a female apostle.

Big deal.
    There are always varied opinions on the Internet.

You still didn't demonstrate that such an interpretation of Rom. 16:7 would be a heresy.

Um, every difference of viewpoint on the proper exegesis of a Bible passage does not indicate a heresy is about.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 09:172 edits
    So how do you know whose prayers are effective?

In any case, God tells us that no woman is to have authority over men, at least within the church.

Ignore it, as well as many other things in the Bible at tour soul's risk.

There, you have been warned.
    So how do you know whose prayers are effective?

That maybe true. But I have no crazy reason to assume up front that this prayer warrior of a sister who prayed for me, did so ineffectively.

Sure, in the last analysis we'll all find out who God used and how much, in the day of the judgment seat of Christ.

No big deal.
    However, I know my wife has kept a record of answered prayers.
    This is more than I have done.

In any case, God tells us that no woman is to have authority over men, at least within the church.

Yes, let's go by the book. Of course.
    Um Did you or did you not tell me if you practice giving your fellow men disciples a holy kiss when you greet them .... according to the book ?

Now, THAT'S different huh ?
    Need a little leeway from the book there. Right ?

Ignore it, as well as many other things in the Bible at tour soul's risk.

There, you have been warned.

My soul is in good hands. Christ is the Shepherd of my soul.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 09:203 edits
    Yes, Paul says to Timothy that it is his practice not to allow a woman to exercise authority over a man. The context, I think, should be about defining major doctrines of the church.
    And he also gives his scriptural basis from the only Scriptures they had at the time.

a few renderings:

King James Bible
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to be silent.

International Standard Version
    Moreover, in the area of teaching, I am not allowing a woman to instigate conflict toward a man. Instead, she is to remain calm.

That, Paul says, is his personal practice - "I am not allowing ..." or " I do not allow " . Of course Paul's personal practice should be considered seriously.

But HOW COME you're heaven bent on fighting for that but curiously shy about his instruction to greet the brothers in Christ with a holy kiss ? (Rom. 16:16).

Don't you come off as strangely selective according to some natural preference of yours ?

Now, do you think that when Priscilla the wife and Anguilla her husband sat down and helped Apollos better understand the Gospel, that Priscilla said absolutely nothing ?
    Maybe.

But maybe not. Maybe in practice she also helped the working Apollos by teaching him something along with her husband. Actually we don't know who did the teaching or most of it.

Acts 18:24-26

24 Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor[a] and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. 26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately.

Notice here again that the name of the wife precedes that of the husband.
    Curious.
    All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.

Priscilla and Aquilla invited him into their home, and instructed him more accurately about the Gospel's teaching. Sorry.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 20:23
    Jesus had the freedom to choose anyone to be his disciples. He filled 12 positions with all men.

Jesus was willing to speak out against cultural norms multiple times, but still he only chose men to be his disciples.
    Jesus had the freedom to choose anyone to be his disciples. He filled 12 positions with all men.

How has God used this matter as a blessing to your spiritual growth as a Christian ?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 20:26

How has God used this matter as a blessing to your spiritual growth as a Christian ?
    By contrasting God's truth with Societal values.

It really exposes people like you as man worshippers.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '17 20:302 edits
    By contrasting God's truth with Societal values.

It really exposes people like you as man worshippers.
    If so then how has exposing people like me caused you to gain Christ ?

"... that I might gain Christ ..." (Phil 3:8)
    Said Paul in Philippians.

Has exposing people's committal to Societal values caused you to gain Christ ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree