1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 14:191 edit
    Jesus had the freedom to choose anyone to be his disciples. He filled 12 positions with all men.

Jesus was willing to speak out against cultural norms multiple times, but still he only chose men to be his disciples.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:09
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Jesus had the freedom to choose anyone to be his disciples. He filled 12 positions with all men.

Jesus was willing to speak out against cultural norms multiple times, but still he only chose men to be his disciples.
    Are you saying Jesus was sexist and therefore it is ok to be sexist?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:17
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Are you saying Jesus was sexist and therefore it is ok to be sexist?
    I am just saying Jesus is a sexist.

Gender roles is an integral aspect of Christianity.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:27
    I am just saying Jesus is a sexist.

Gender roles is an integral aspect of Christianity.
    No, they're not.

Why do you get almost everything wrong about Christianity?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:46
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    No, they're not.

Why do you get almost everything wrong about Christianity?
    If you make excuses for it, I suppose you can rationalize it away.

In a family, who is the head? Gender neutral or is the make always the head of the family if one follows Biblical instruction?

Did Jesus choose a female disciple or an all male club?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:49
    Originally posted by @eladar wa

He had bigger fish to fry.
  7. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:50

I don't see how this is being sexist in that culture and period.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:55
    Originally posted by @velns
    I don't see how this is being sexist in that culture and period.
    So you believe that Jesus was restrained by culture. Was Jesus similarly restrained by culture when he said that eating foods can't make one unclean? Was he restrained by culture when he told the crowd that the one without sin should throw the stone at the adultress?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 15:56
    Originally posted by @js357
    He had bigger fish to fry.
    So you do not believe that sexism is an important issue?
  10. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 16:06
    So you believe that Jesus was restrained by culture. Was Jesus similarly restrained by culture when he said that eating foods can't make one unclean? Was he restrained by culture when he told the crowd that the one without sin should throw the stone at the adultress?
    You seem to be mistaken. Jesus did not defy all cultural and social norms, in fact in many cases he fully complied, tax for example. He said "render into Caesar that which is Caesar's". He dressed normally, attended the Jewish religious services, and related everything he taught to the old convenant (before crucifixion). Jesus treated women with the upmost of respect and honour.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 16:11
    You seem to be mistaken. Jesus did not defy all cultural and social norms, in fact in many cases he fully complied, tax for example. He said "render into Caesar that which is Caesar's". He dressed normally, attended the Jewish religious services, and related everything he taught to the old convenant (before crucifixion). Jesus treated women with the upmost of respect and honour.
    I did not say he defied all cultural norms. I claimed that Jesus was not constrained by cultural norms. Jesus always acted perfectly. If it required going against cultural norms, Jesus would do it without hesitation.

Evidently being a sexist and being perfect go hand in hand.
  12. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 16:15
    I did not say he defied all cultural norms. I claimed that Jesus was not constrained by cultural norms. Jesus always acted perfectly. If it required going against cultural norms, Jesus would do it without hesitation.

Evidently being a sexist and being perfect go hand in hand.
    Whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with your sexism.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 16:22
    Whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with your sexism.
    You can feel good about ignoring the Bible, rationalizing acceptance of modern cultural norms over God's truth.

How about Paul's instruction for male only Pastors? Was there a Biblical reason given or was it simply cultural norms?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 19:54

I'm of the opinion that most who call themselves Christian wants to be like Jesus, but you it
    seems wants to mold Jesus to be like you.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 20:04
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    I'm of the opinion that most who call themselves Christian wants to be like Jesus, but you it
    seems wants to mold Jesus to be like you.
    Tell me, did Jesus choose a female disciple? Did he choose a single one?

What of the instruction that only Men can be pastors?

What of the instruction that Men are to be the head of a Christian home and the wife is to submit to her husband?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree