15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 01:191 edit
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 01:293 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne (Page 12)
    [b]"It's quite clear that GB very much has an agenda despite his claims otherwise. It's quite clear that GB has the same agenda as the website that he has repeatedly quoted."

* As someone who knows GB's online persona intimately, I can assure you that he does have an intense desire on RHP's Spirit ...[text shortened]... d eternal happiness are a matter of choice; my single desire for you is spelled out in * above.[/b]
    "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36

Interesting how you inserted the words in brackets in order to completely change the meaning of the sentence. Do your pride and arrogance have any bounds?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 02:134 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b] "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36

Interesting how you inserted the words in brackets in order to completely change the meaning of the sentence. Do your pride and arrogance have any bounds?[/b]
    "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36

Interesting how you inserted the words in brackets in order to completely change the meaning of the sentence. Do your pride and arrogance have any bounds?

"Believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved." (Acts 16:31a) "The choice is yours."

ThinkOfOne, bracket [the command to believe in]" in John 3:36 refers to the command immediately above in Acts 16:31a.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '14 01:484 edits
    [b] "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36

Interesting how you inserted the words in brackets in order to completely change the meaning of the sentence. Do your pride and a ...[text shortened]... the command to believe in]" in John 3:36 refers to the command immediately above in Acts 16:31a.[/b]
    Let me see if you understand this. You've inserted text so as to completely change the meaning of what John the Baptist was quoted as saying in John 3:36 in order to get it to be in agreement with a verse from Acts? Remarkable the contortions some will go through in order to try to prop up their beliefs.

What's more, there seems to be more than a little arrogance at play for someone to be so presumptuous as to completely change the meaning of the words of John the Baptist.

Let's look at the words of John the Baptist as written.
    John 3
    36“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

This jibes really well with the teachings of Jesus. For example:

Matthew 7

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

You're really something GB. Do you feel just as free to insert text so as to completely change the meaning of the words of Jesus?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '14 02:301 edit
    Let me see if you understand this. You've inserted text so as to completely change the meaning of what John the Baptist was quoted as saying in John 3:36 in order to get it to be in agreement with a verse from Acts? Remarkable the contortions some will go through in order to try to prop up their beliefs.

What's more, there seems to be more than a littl ...[text shortened]... u feel just as free to insert text so as to completely change the meaning of the words of Jesus?

"Gospel of John Commentary: Who Wrote the Gospel of John and How Historical Is It? A look at some of the questions surrounding the Bible’s most enigmatic gospel. Biblical Archaeology Society Staff • 09/26/2013 Gospel of John Commentary: Who Wrote the Gospel of John and How Historical is It?

"The evangelist John rests one hand on his gospel book, in this 83-inch-tall marble sculpture carved by Donatello in about 1415 for a niche in the facade of the Cathedral of Florence. Scholars writing Gospel of John commentary often grapple with the question: Who wrote the Gospel of John? Photo: Erich Lessing.

The Gospels, the first four books of the New Testament, tell the story of the life of Jesus. Yet only one—the Gospel of John—claims to be an eyewitness account, the testimony of the unnamed “disciple whom Jesus loved.” (“This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and wrote these things, and we know that his testimony is true” [John 21:24]). Who wrote the Gospel of John is a question that remains unanswered, though noted theologians throughout the ages maintain that it was indeed the disciple John who penned the famous Biblical book."

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/new-testament/gopel-of-john-commentary-who-wrote-the-gospel-of-john-and-how-historical-is-it/

"Q: How could John the Baptist have written the Gospel of John, when that same Gospel tells about his death? Maybe I shouldn't get bogged down with questions like this when I try to read my Bible, but I can't help it.

A: John the Baptist wasn’t the author of the Gospel of John; it was written by another man who was also named John. He was one of Jesus’ 12 disciples, and therefore was an eyewitness to the events he recorded. In one of his letters he wrote, “We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard” (1 John 1:3).

I’m thankful you want to read your Bible; God has given it to us so we can learn about Him and come to know Him. Every time you open it, therefore, ask God to help you understand what it is saying and not get bogged down in extraneous detail. Remember that the Gospels were written to tell us about Jesus. If you read through the Gospel of John, for example, ask yourself what it says about Him- who He is, what He did, and so forth."

http://billygraham.org/answer/how-could-john-the-baptist-have-written-the-gospel-of-john-when-that-same-gospel-tells-about-his-death-maybe-i-shouldnt-get-bogged-down-with-questions-like-this-when-i-try-to-read-my-bible-but-i/

ThinkOfOne, please clarify your basis for identifying John the Baptist as the author of the Gospel of John. Notes not text were inserted in [defining brackets] to facilitate reference and expand koine meaning of several passages. The contentious tone: "Remarkable the contortions some will go through in order to try to prop up their beliefs." betrays lack of interest in the passage per se. Reminder: Free Guinness on Draft tomorrow only; please leave your Animosity Sandwiches at home.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 21:065 edits
    [b]Let me see if you understand this. You've inserted text so as to completely change the meaning of what John the Baptist was quoted as saying in John 3:36 in order to get it to be in agreement with a verse from Acts? Remarkable the contortions some will go through in order to try to prop up their beliefs.

_ ...[text shortened]... Reminder: Free Guinness on Draft tomorrow only; please leave your Animosity Sandwiches at home.[/b]
    ThinkOfOne, please clarify your basis for identifying John the Baptist as the author of the Gospel of John.

Never said he was. Not sure how you managed to get this so twisted in your mind.

Notes not text were inserted in [defining brackets] to facilitate reference and expand koine meaning of several passages.

My post was referring to the fact that you inserted text so as to completely change the meaning John 3:36. Not sure how you've managed to fail to grasp this.

The contentious tone: "Remarkable the contortions some will go through in order to try to prop up their beliefs." betrays lack of interest in the passage per se.

How so? I've pointed out how you've completely changed the meaning of the translation of the verse you quoted with the text you inserted. I've pointed out how the meaning of the translation of the verse you quoted (as written) squares with what Jesus taught in Matthew 7:21-27. So I definitely have an interest. If you had an interest in the verse, you'd actually address those points instead of evading them.

What's "remarkable" is how so many cobble verses together from disparate sources in a dubious attempt to show that their beliefs are supported by the Bible. With John 3:36 you've taken the additional step of inserting text so as to completely change the meaning of the translation of the verse you quoted.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 21:442 edits
    [b]ThinkOfOne, please clarify your basis for identifying John the Baptist as the author of the Gospel of John.

Never said he was. Not sure how you managed to get this so twisted in your mind.

Notes not text were inserted in [defining brackets] to facilitate reference and expand koine meaning of several passages.

My post was referring ...[text shortened]... nserting text so as to completely change the meaning of the translation of the verse you quoted.[/b]

"Believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved." (Acts 16:31a) "The choice is yours."

ThinkOfOne, bracket [the command to believe in]" in John 3:36 refers to the command immediately above in Acts 16:31a.

ThinkOfOne, Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

ThinkOfOne, in what ways does reference to the command to be obeyed "completely change the meaning of the sentence"?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 21:591 edit

Interesting how you inserted the words in brackets in order to completely change the meaning of the sentence. Do your pride and a ...[text shortened]... ways does reference to the command to be obeyed "completely change the meaning of the sentence"?[/b]
    C'mon GB. What's the reason for posting such a misleading summary of our discussion this far? It isn't enough that you've repeatedly posted misleading articles as the basis of this thread? It isn't enough that you've refused to own up to it in an honest manner?

ThinkOfOne, in what ways does reference to the command to be obeyed "completely change the meaning of the sentence"?

Seriously? You really can't discern the difference in meaning between

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

AND

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

????
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 22:17
    C'mon GB. What's the reason for posting such a misleading summary of our discussion this far? It isn't enough that you've repeatedly posted misleading articles as the basis of this thread? It isn't enough that you've refused to own up to it in an honest manner?

[b]ThinkOfOne, in what ways does reference to the command to be obeyed "completely change t ...[text shortened]... who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."[/i]

????
    Bracket [the command to believe in] refers to "Believe in the Lord Jesus" as the command;
    if you do then then the result is "... and you shall be saved." (Acts 16:31a)
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 23:511 edit
    Bracket [the command to believe in] refers to "Believe in the Lord Jesus" as the command;
    if you do then then the result is "... and you shall be saved." (Acts 16:31a)
    Are you being intentionally dense?

Here, I'll pare the sentences down for you and remove the brackets:

he who does not obey the command to believe in the Son shall not see life

vs.

he who does not obey the Son shall not see life

The two sentences have very different meanings.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 00:20
    Are you being intentionally dense?

Here, I'll pare the sentences down for you and remove the brackets:

vs.

The two sentences have very different meanings.

Same meaning. Reminder: Free Draft Guinness will be served tomorrow; please leave animosity sandwiches at home.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 00:362 edits
    [b]"Believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved." (Acts 16:31a) "The choice is yours."

Same meaning. Reminder: Free Draft Guinness will be served tomorrow; please leave animosity sandwiches at home.[/b]
    Here, I'll spell it out for you.

vs.

The two sentences have very different meanings. The latter means that one must OBEY JESUS to "see life". The former means that one need only obey a command to BELIEVE IN JESUS to "see life".

C'mon GB.

Like I said:

What's "remarkable" is how so many cobble verses together from disparate sources in a dubious attempt to show that their beliefs are supported by the Bible. With John 3:36 you've taken the additional step of inserting text so as to completely change the meaning of the translation of the verse you quoted.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 01:252 edits
    Here, I'll spell it out for you.

vs.

The two sentences have very different meanings. The latter means that one must OBEY JESUS to "see life". The former means that one need only obey a command to BELIEVE IN ...[text shortened]... text so as to completely change the meaning of the translation of the verse you quoted. [/quote]
    "James described human life on earth is as "a fleeting vapor trail". Even if your eventual obituary reads "___ _____ departed this life at the age of 100 years of natural causes" it's brief. Chances are that some of us here today may breathe our final breath before the calendar changes to January 2, 2015 (as the result of an accident or sudden illness or botched cranial surgery to remove a malignant cancerous tumor). Some of us may be around for decades, periodically publically affirming our rejection of the Risen Christ. Why? It's too simple; it's so simple it's an insult to my high level of intelligence. Please think about these momentous things while your driving alone on an important mission. Better yet, while your in the shower or tub or standing naked before your bathroom vanity mirror. Why? Because within that venue it's virtually impossible to escape an awareness of your physical imperfections, frailities and mortality. Unit of measure of life: one day at a time.

Think about this Red Hot Pawn Spirituality Forum thread and about your clever posts and cowardly Thumbs Down that gained or reinforced the approval of your likeminded friends. Then think again about yourself and the eternal destiny of your soul, which will reside at one of two addresses for all eternity: with God sharing His perfect happiness or alone suffering for eternity in the Lake of Fire. Yes, alone; your only company will be the worm of memory which never dies and which will constantly remind you of the information you've received on this very site, decided was trash and summarily dismissed.

"For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten [uniquely born] Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name [person] of the only begotten [uniquely born] Son of God." (John 3:16-18) "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved. " (Acts 16:31a) "I am the way, and the truth and the life; no man comes to the Father but through me." (John 14:6b) The choice is yours.

Thread 157261 But a natural man [unbeliever] does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them [the Gospel and Bible doctrine], because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14) "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36

* ThinkOfOne, GB doesn't want anyone here to have an excuse for their default choice to fry in the Lake of Fire forever. Bob

ThinkOfOne, both temporal and eternal happiness are a matter of choice; my single desire for you is spelled out in * above. (Page 13)

> The first passage, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved. " (Acts 16:31a) = the command; the second passage, "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36 = the focus of the Son [of God], the person to be believed in.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 02:27
    Think about this Red Hot Pawn Spirituality Forum thread and about your clever posts and cowardly Thumbs Down that gained or reinforced the approval of your likeminded friends. Then think again about yourself and the eternal destiny of your soul, which will reside at one of two addresses for all eternity: with God sharing His perfect happiness or alone s ...[text shortened]... of the information you've received on this very site, decided was trash and summarily dismissed.
    Is this a threat, Bobby?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 03:181 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Is this a threat, Bobby?
    Simply an appeal to thoughtful contributors to this forum; you well know that Terms of Service prohibit threats of any kind.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree