1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 14:31
    Free thinkers or programmable talking heads?

Does anyone here feel like they can predict who will fall on one side or the
    other of any discussion?

Has anyone ever surprised you here on what they thought, or do people
    really just fall into the camps you think they will?
    Kelly
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 14:44
    Originally posted by KellyJay

other of any discussion?

Kelly
    Is best not to make too many assumptions about what people think. Anyway why not start with who 'surprised' you.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 15:33
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Is best not to make too many assumptions about what people think. Anyway why not start with who 'surprised' you.
    Actually I cannot think of anyone who has I'm very sorry to say.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 15:422 edits

other of any discussion?

Kelly
    Here's another question, while we're at it.

If you are confident in your ability to predict people's opinions before you hear them, will you even notice it if they take a position you don't expect?

I like to think I notice when people have opinions outside the stereotype of their religion [or lack thereof].

Examples [taken solely from memory, so the parties named may correct me if needed]:

-FreakyKBH is a Christian, but pro-abortion.
    -Suzianne is a Christian, but pro-evolution [actually, I think there are many Christians who are this way, but they tend to be not as outspoken.]
    -Whodey is a Christian, but an old-earther [I used to think he was pro-evolution, but then a recent conversation made me unsure about that.]
    -BBarr is an atheist [who has not posted here for some years] but only pro-abortion up to the start of the 3rd trimester. [I share this position and I'm also an atheist.]

Years ago, I had a debate with you and you surprised me with "God kills and makes life; humans don't!". [Although this was more a realization that you aren't that precise in your choice of words.]
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 16:06
    Certain people (FMF and Sonhouse I think) claim they aren't atheists which surprised me considering most of what they say.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 16:27
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Certain people (FMF and Sonhouse I think) claim they aren't atheists which surprised me considering most of what they say.
    You don't have to be atheistic to deny the bible god. It's just common sense.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 17:171 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You don't have to be atheistic to deny the bible god. It's just common sense.
    True, it just surprises me. This is after all not a debates forum, but a spirituality forum. I suppose I would suspect a non-atheist to spend more time talking about his own spirituality, rather than only arguing about that of others.

Or to put it another way, I would suspect someone who is active in a spirituality forum yet never talks about his own spirituality/belief in some kind of god to be an atheist.

My bad, I guess.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Jun '14 18:23
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    True, it just surprises me. This is after all not a debates forum, but a spirituality forum. I suppose I would suspect a non-atheist to spend more time talking about his own spirituality, rather than only arguing about that of others.

Or to put it another way, I would suspect someone who is active in a spirituality forum yet never talks about his own spirituality/belief in some kind of god to be an atheist.

My bad, I guess.
    Not only that, but someone who is more rabidly anti-Christian and anti-Muslim than even the hardiest of atheists.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 04:15

other of any discussion?

Kelly
    Why doesn't anyone say "Oh my Thor!" or "For Zeus' sake!"?
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 05:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    It is possibly because he already has a day of the week named in his honor (Thursday). The Norse Gods are still significant (apparently). And so are the Roman Gods. 😲
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 05:42
    By Jove.
    Derived from Jupiter the Roman equivalent of Zeus.

not that it is of any significance at all.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 06:16
    Why doesn't anyone say "Oh my Thor!"?
    Two reasons:
    1. That is English, and that is a Norse god that never had much influence in England.
    2. He was one among many gods, and not a personal god, so you wouldn't say 'my Thor'. In fact such an expression might offend him.

This might interest you when you say 'Happy Easter':
    The last form is commonly held to have originally referred to the name of an Anglo-Saxon goddess, Ēostre, a form of the widely attested Indo-European dawn goddess.

From Wikipedia.

And to add to caissad4 'days of the week':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_days_of_the_week
    And I am sure you will find something similar for months.

So without realizing it you probably mention the name of some god quite regularly and have calendars around your house celebrating days and months commemorating them.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 07:16

other of any discussion?

Kelly
    normbenign.

he thinks the 9/11 first responders shouldn't receive medical aid for diseases contracted while volunteering to help fellow americans in their darkest hour since pearl harbor.

i didn't expect that.

you mean here in the spirituality forum? no. nobody surprised me. i don't assume anything of any atheist and i won't be surprised. and the zealots on whom i formed an opinion don't surprise anyone. ever.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 07:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    By Jove.
    Derived from Jupiter the Roman equivalent of Zeus.

not that it is of any significance at all.
    What word does an avowed atheist exclaim or moan at the peak of sexual orgasm?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 07:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Two reasons:
    1. That is English, and that is a Norse god that never had much influence in England.
    2. He was one among many gods, and not a personal god, so you wouldn't say 'my Thor'. In fact such an expression might offend him.

This might interest you when you say 'Happy Easter':
    [quote]The last form is commonly held to have originally referred t ...[text shortened]... e regularly and have calendars around your house celebrating days and months commemorating them.
    twhitehead, thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree