Sickening Bible Stories

Sickening Bible Stories

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Feb 05

No thread of this title would be complete without this little gem:

Gen. 19:31-36
31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth: 32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. 33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. 34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. 35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. 36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by genius
God is merciful, and slow to anger. remember how in jonah he let a whole city live after they repented. maybe if these guys had repented, they would have lived. also-these small boys were not little children. the hebrew is "youth" and is also used for older servants. and as for the baldhead insult, well-he lived for a further 50 years so it is unlike ...[text shortened]... ing he did this via a miracle as, well, we're presuming that the bears were also a miracle)

I love creative Bible interpretation. In the Elisha story, there's no indication they did anything but "mock" him; in fact, he TURNED AROUND and cursed them before OT God sicced the (magic?) bears on them - indicating he wasn't in any danger.

"Letting a whole city live" doesn't really get props from me; I thought that's what you're supposed to do. If you're referring to the Midianite Massacre, he even ordered infant boys to be slaughtered; kinda hard for a newborn to "repent", ain't it (even assuming that "repenting or being killed or raped" is a "just" choice for a God to give ya)?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
No thread of this title would be complete without this little gem:

[b]Gen. 19:31-36

31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth: 32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our fathe ...[text shortened]... ay down, nor when she arose. 36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. [/b]
Eccky!!!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Feb 05

And another one:

2 Sam. 11:2-4
2 It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking upon the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful. 3 And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is not this Bathshe'ba, the daughter of Eli'am, the wife of Uri'ah the Hittite?" 4 So David sent messengers, and took her; and she came to him, and he lay with her.

To make a long story short, she got pregnant. David ordered her husband Uriah back from battle, in hopes he would go home and sleep with his wife, but Uriah did not. So there was only one way to deal with him:

2 Sam 11:14
14 In the morning David wrote a letter to Jo'ab, and sent it by the hand of Uri'ah. 15 In the letter he wrote, "Set Uri'ah in the forefront of the hardest fighting, and then draw back from him, that he may be struck down, and die."

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I love creative Bible interpretation. In the Elisha story, there's no indication they did anything but "mock" him; in fact, he TURNED AROUND and cursed them before OT God sicced the (magic?) bears on them - indicating he wasn't in any danger.

"Letting a whole city live" doesn't really get props from me; I thought that's what you ...[text shortened]... assuming that "repenting or being killed or raped" is a "just" choice for a God to give ya)?
42 guys taunting me? yeah-that's not a threat...and how does turning round indicate he wasn't in any danger? it meerly means that they are behind him. anyway-God was with him (the bears...) so he wasn't really in any danger. it was a punushment.

and sodom and gamorah didn't live (i didn't see that story up, but i haven't really read the whole tbh...). and a whole city that is extremly corrupt? anyway - they repeted, and they were forgiven. sodom and ghamorrah didn't and, so, weren't. as i said - slow to anger, quick to forgive (i think i got it wrong last time...😛)

and i wasn't referring to the midianite massacre-where'd you get that from? 😛 anyway - at the time the victors of any war/battle killed everyone. and they let two people's live, i forget which ones though...but they grew up to be thorns in isriels side.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
And another one:

2 Sam. 11:2-4
2 It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking upon the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful. 3 And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is not this Bathshe'ba, the daughter of Eli'am, the wife ...[text shortened]... nt of the hardest fighting, and then draw back from him, that he may be struck down, and die."
people aren't perfect. they make mistakes. the people in the two stories that you have outlined have all been critisised for what they did. sickening though they may be, they aren't exacly on topic so get back on it! 😲

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Feb 05
1 edit

people aren't perfect. they make mistakes. the people in the two stories that you have outlined have all been critisised for what they did. sickening though they may be, they aren't exacly on topic so get back on it! 😲
Elisha wasn;t merely a people.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Feb 05

42 guys taunting me? yeah-that's not a threat...and how does turning round indicate he wasn't in any danger? it meerly means that they are behind him. anyway-God was with him (the bears...) so he wasn't really in any danger. it was a punushment.

and sodom and gamorah didn't live (i didn't see that story up, but i haven't really read the whole tbh...) ...[text shortened]... two people's live, i forget which ones though...but they grew up to be thorns in isriels side.
Your ancient history is simply wrong; there are few cases in recorded history of a victor in a war exterminating the entire population of the defeated (well they saved the virgins to be raped but that's not exactly altruistic). So the Midianite massacre seems to be a particulary bloodthirsty example that even the most warlike people in the area (the Assyrians) didn't copy; they didn't kill ALL the Israelites when they conquered them (or did they conquer Judah? Whatever - the point is the same). Your monster God doesn't seem very "merciful" in this story (bet the Midianite gals would have agreed with me).

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Feb 05

"Letting a whole city live" doesn't really get props from me; I thought that's what you ...[text shortened]... assuming that "repenting or being killed or raped" is a "just" choice for a God to give ya)?
MELACHIM B
(Book of 2 Kings)
Chapter 2 24:
And he looked behind him and saw them, and cursed them in the name of HaShem. And there came forth two she-bears out of the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.

sorry im a bit slow finding this one but i kept looking in Genesis (Bereshit) for it

it clearly says children
http://www.breslov.com/bible/2_Kings2.htm#24

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
23 Feb 05

Your ancient history is simply wrong; there are few cases in recorded history of a victor in a war exterminating the entire population of the defeated (well they saved the virgins to be raped but that's not exactly altruistic). So the Midianite massacre seems to be a particulary bloodthirsty example that even the most warlike people in the area ( ...[text shortened]... oesn't seem very "merciful" in this story (bet the Midianite gals would have agreed with me).
they didn't rape them-i forget the verse, but someone was killed by a spear whilst doing such an act. i'm on the phone-i'll get back tp this...

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Feb 05

So are the actions in the stories you find sickening mainly those
of people? If so why would you just look at scripture for
sickening stories, they are found everywhere since people do
sickening things all over the place throughout all recorded time?
Kelly

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Feb 05

they didn't rape them-i forget the verse, but someone was killed by a spear whilst doing such an act. i'm on the phone-i'll get back tp this...
I'll repeat what I said on page 4 regarding the claims that the Midianite girls weren't raped:

The girls were "kept alive" for the Israelite man. Do you think they went willingly to men who had murdered their parents, sisters and brothers? No, Darfius, they were forced to, under pain of death. That's rape in New York and even in Texas. "The Jews abhorred raping"!!!!!! What a laugh!

Got it?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
No, KellyJay, I wanted stories where the actions were condoned or ordered by OT God. In the first story, OT God accepts the vow of Jepthath, grants him victory in battle and accepts the human sacrifice of his innocent daughter. In the Midianite Massacre, OT God specifically orders it. And in the Elisha story, OT God siccs the bears on the "children" or "youths". So they're not just the actions of people, they're the actions of OT God himself.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 Feb 05
1 edit

No, KellyJay, I wanted stories where the actions were condoned or ordered by OT God. In the first story, OT God accepts the vow of Jepthath, grants him victory in battle and accepts the human sacrifice of his innocent daughter. I ...[text shortened]... ust the actions of people, they're the actions of OT God himself.
I'm aware of that story, but to speed up my replies can I have the
books chapter and verses so I can read it, if you have a specific
version you would like me to read it in let me know that too.
Se we are speaking about apples and apples.

My question still stands, most of the stuff I have seen so far are
simply people doing bad things. I'd like to stick with just the stuff
where God was involved. Not every time someone did something
in the name of God means that God was involved, just like anytime
someone does something while working for any agency means that
the agency condoned it.
Kelly

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Feb 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
Yes people do many sickening things...there a difference here, there are people that actually believe that THESE particular sickening things are justified because the bible says God was involved.