Since atheism is a belief

Since atheism is a belief

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
18 Aug 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
No, we are not, we are discussing belief in gods.

Whether they are supernatural or not.
No, we are discussing belief in the supernatural.

Moves
18 Aug 15

Originally posted by JerryH
If gods are not supernatural, if they are part of nature, then they are not fictional. If they are part of nature then they can be see, tested, confirmed, and understood.
I postulate the existence of a bone china teapot orbiting Mars.

This object is entirely within the laws of nature and is not in any way supernatural.

Is this object real or fictional?

Your argument is disproven.

Moves
18 Aug 15

No, we are discussing belief in the supernatural.
YOU might be. But you are the only one doing so.

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
18 Aug 15

I postulate the existence of a bone china teapot orbiting Mars.

This object is entirely within the laws of nature and is not in any way supernatural.

Is this object real or fictional?

Your argument is disproven.
Now if you can observe or explain who made the china and how it got into orbit around mars it's not supernatural. If however you are saying there is no maker of the china and no observation possible of the china, you've got a supernatural bone china tea pot.

Moves
18 Aug 15

Now if you can observe or explain who made the china and how it got into orbit around mars it's not supernatural. If however you are saying there is no maker of the china and no observation possible of the china, you've got a supernatural bone china tea pot.
/Picard double facepalm.

You keep using that word [supernatural]...

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hyperbole Happy

Moves
18 Aug 15

/Picard double facepalm.

You keep using that word [supernatural]...

I do not think it means what you think it means.
If you can see the object or otherwise infer it's existence then it's real. If you can't then it's fictional. If you say that it's fictional and that it exists then it's supernatural.

Moves
18 Aug 15

If you can see the object or otherwise infer it's existence then it's real. If you can't then it's fictional. If you say that it's fictional and that it exists then it's supernatural.
Sigh...

Look... I/we have been debating on these forums about these topics for at least a decade.

I/we use the internationally recognised meanings of the words theist and atheist that
are agreed and used by national and international atheist organisations and indeed by
various dictionaries and encyclopaedias.

WE all know what we mean when we use these terms in discussions with each other.

YOU seem to think that these words should mean something else.

Good for you. I/we don't care.

I am going to be using the same meanings tomorrow as I was using yesterday and
I will still be using those same meanings/definitions 10 years from now.

You can argue with me as much as you like, this will never change.

Because this is about communication, and these words have a generally recognised meaning
that is agreed upon and if I start using those words differently people are not going to understand
what I mean.

Your attempts to try to get us to accept your own weird personal definitions of these words,
would be completely pointless even if I didn't think your arguments were nonsense.

I have told you what these words mean. If you don't like it, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Accept these meanings and move on, or be forever misunderstood.

Your choice.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Aug 15

Originally posted by divegeester
1. Is not offensive; it is one of the logical outcomes from your silly premise about the potential existence of 'other bunnies named bugs' and therefore the parallel between theism and buggsyism is reasonable.
2. So you aren't comparing the non-belief in buggsyism as a parallel with atheism after all then?
3. You are being offensive, do you think I'm lying when I'm saying you are being offensive?
Are you a buggsynariest?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Aug 15

So... if someone believes God does (or gods do) not exist he/she is not an atheist?

Moves
19 Aug 15

Supernatural means outside or beyond the natural. Something is supernatural if it doesn't exist in the natural world (though we can imagine an interaction). A tea pot orbiting a planet is clearly inside the natural realm, and so can never be considered supernatural, whether you can detect it or not, and whether you believe it exists or not.

Moves
19 Aug 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
So... if someone believes God does (or gods do) not exist he/she is not an atheist?
If you believe god(s) exist, you're a theist.

If you believe that god(s) do not exist (same as, you don't believe the claim that god(s) exist), you're an atheist.

This is not all that complicated.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Aug 15

Originally posted by C Hess
If you believe god(s) exist, you're a theist.

If you believe that god(s) do not exist (same as, you don't believe the claim that god(s) exist), you're an atheist.

This is not all that complicated.
So believing god(s) do not exist is a belief.

Moves
19 Aug 15

In the same way that not believing in the existence of the loch ness monster is a belief. It has about the same impact on your worldview as well.

Moves
19 Aug 15

I think you religious chaps get rather befuddled when we use the word 'belief.' (It has different connotations for us).

So, instead of 'I believe God does not exist', consider instead:

I think God doesn't exist.
It is my educated opinion that God doesn't exist.
I am unconvinced by your argument that God exists. (My personal favourite).
At this point in time i extrapolate that God doesn't exist.
God? Nah.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
19 Aug 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I think you religious chaps get rather befuddled when we use the word 'belief.' (It has different connotations for us).

So, instead of 'I believe God does not exist', consider instead:

I think God doesn't exist.
It is my educated opinion that God doesn't exist.
I am unconvinced by your argument that God exists. (My personal favourite).
At this point in time i extrapolate that God doesn't exist.
God? Nah.
Well sure, there can be many ways of saying you believe there is no god (or gods). I don't quite understand the aversion many atheists have to calling this a belief. But I suspect it has something to do with an unsavory connotation many atheists have ascribed to the word 'belief' when talking to and about Christians.