1. Maryland
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 16:33
    The only person who can truly forgive a sin is the person against whom the sin was committed!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 21:121 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes spiritual advice from an older one in the congregation is very helpful with the many problems we face in this world today. And it's not always an easy thing to do when we are in front of them because of a matter of serious sin and a prayer done by them in our behalf is a very appreciated thing.
    But as was discussed before in great detail, no impe diator between humans and his Father Jehovah. "No one goes to the Father except thru Jesus".
    We have been over this. I have already refuted your claim that it rivals the mediatorship of Christ. I also presented you with a number of quotes from Scripture demonstrating the practice of confession. I then cited literature from the Church Fathers from the first to third century indicating a form of ritual confession. All you said was 'I will have a look' but in fact made no further comment. I am not interested in renewing a discussion if you simply bail when you find it too difficult.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 23:56
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Don't put me in the same boat as Vishy!
    Seems you are both on this planet. You ARE in the same boat in many ways.

Either way, you would be advised to take up an oar, no matter who might be manning the other oarπŸ™‚
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 00:09
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

Either way, you would be advised to take up an oar, no matter who might be manning the other oarπŸ™‚
    Thanks for the sage advice!
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:01

Wrong, he is NOT on the same planet, nor even the same Galaxy.

As far as sin goes, most people's moral compass is not broken. It just happens to be pointing straight towards hell.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:121 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Wrong, he is NOT on the same planet, nor even the same Galaxy.

As far as sin goes, most people's moral compass is not broken. It just happens to be pointing straight towards hell.
    Rubbish.
    Vishy, me, you, joe are all here together.

As far as sin goes , it matters not where our compass is pointed, but that we have one.
    Unless you can tell me why the sky exists, I'm going to assume your in the same boat as us...

And joe, I'm sure you are doing your own thing,(I didn't mean to imply you weren't, just having some fun).

I dont care if people are athiests.

edit: I thought I was replying to ToO for some reason, oh well, my point still stands.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:16
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Thanks for the sage advice!
    (please note my previous post)
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:181 edit
    Rubbish.
    Vishy, me, you, joe are all here together.

As far as sin goes , it matters not where our compass is pointed, but that we have one.
    Unless you can tell me why the sky exists, I'm going to assume your in the same boat as us...

And joe, I'm sure you are doing your own thing,(I didn't mean to imply you weren't, just having some fun).

I ...[text shortened]... s.

edit: I thought I was replying to ToO for some reason, oh well, my point still stands.
    If your compass is not working right, have fun navigating the after life. πŸ˜‰
    And what good is a rowboat with the oarsmen all rowing in diferent directions?? Guess what, it ain't goin nowhere. I'll jump out and swim. πŸ˜›
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:22
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    If your compass is not working right, have fun navigating the after life. πŸ˜‰
    And what good is a rowboat with the oarsmen all rowing in diferent directions?? Guess what, it ain't goin nowhere. I'll jump out and swim. πŸ˜›
    Couldn't be any worse than the hellish planets I've been to. Last time I went there was when I went to Ipswich a couple of years ago πŸ˜‰
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 02:31
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I don't think any Catholic seriously thinks that way. Nobody enjoys confession; it is a humiliating experience to kneel down in a confessional and list all your sins to a priest. If anything, the practice of confession only increases a sense of shame and guilt. I recall Richard Dawkins actually saying that encouraging confession among children was abuse bec ...[text shortened]... gossip in the confessional or else embarrassed teenagers admitting to the sin of self-abuse.
    When I was young I thought the little space that was darkly lit was cool. "Bless me father for I have sinned". Then I'd tell him I said a few cuss words and missed mass last Sunday and a few other minor infractions. I'd even think ahead what I'd say so it would be worth his while ya know.

Well, the last time I went to confession I was in my mid twenties. It was an open confessional so I was eye to eye with the priest. I told him the things I was doing. I mean, I was doing things that people get thrown into hell for. He simply told me to say some "our fathers" and "hail Marys" and sent me on my way.

I think the reason he let me off so easy was because I had been baptised as a baby.
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 03:25

It was my remark about everyone going to hell. S
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 04:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    When I was young I thought the little space that was darkly lit was cool. "Bless me father for I have sinned". Then I'd tell him I said a few cuss words and missed mass last Sunday and a few other minor infractions. I'd even think ahead what I'd say so it would be worth his while ya know.

Well, the last time I went to confession I was in my mid twenties. ...[text shortened]...

I think the reason he let me off so easy was because I had been baptised as a baby.
    Your penance is fairly standard. The worst I ever had was three Our Fathers, three Hail Marys and three Glory Bes.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:02
    Your penance is fairly standard. The worst I ever had was three Our Fathers, three Hail Marys and three Glory Bes.
    Seriously though, at the time I was desperately seeking forgiveness. But even more than that I was empty on the inside.

Just as an elder in a JW church discouraged me from being baptised and fully committing myself to that faith, I walked out of that confessional just as lost as when I walked in.

In the end, within a few weeks of both encounters, I prayed to God earnestly one day to show me the truth. My knowledge of the Word of God(Bible)was slim at best, but I knew enough to know that Jesus was the answer. The problem for me was I didn't know or understand who He was. After I prayed I opened my Bible(NIV)to John 1:1-14. At that precise moment I realised that God Himself had become a man.

Everything else began to fall into place. At that exact moment I placed man faith and trust in what Christ did at the cross on my behalf. I realised within that moment that I was forgiven. I knew then that I had been given the gift of life freely based on what God did for me in the person of His own Son.

No confession, no baptism in water, no rite or ritual, just pure faith in His blood.

Then all hell broke loose in my life. The Devil was very wroth at losing one of his.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 01:53
    We have been over this. I have already refuted your claim that it rivals the mediatorship of Christ. I also presented you with a number of quotes from Scripture demonstrating the practice of confession. I then cited literature from the Church Fathers from the first to third century indicating a form of ritual confession. All you said was 'I will have a loo ...[text shortened]... am not interested in renewing a discussion if you simply bail when you find it too difficult.
    Sorry I don't remember that quote "I'd take a look" but if I did you could refresh me one that point.
    But the Catholic Church has no authority in any way shape or form to change anything Jesus said.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jan '11 04:28
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sorry I don't remember that quote "I'd take a look" but if I did you could refresh me one that point.
    But the Catholic Church has no authority in any way shape or form to change anything Jesus said.

Well, I gave you the quotes first in January and then again in February in 2010. I recall you promising to address them, although this was in another thread (at the time, we were also debating graven images among other things.)

Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed their evil deeds
    Acts 19:18

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
    James 5:16

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
    1John 1:9

The writings of early Christians also attest to the practice of confession:

"Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache 4:14, 14:1 [A.D. 100]).

"You shall judge righteously. You shall not make a schism, but you shall pacify those that contend by bringing them together. You shall confess your sins. You shall not go to prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of light" (Letter of Barnabas 19 [A.D. 74]).

"For as many as are of God and of Jesus Christ are also with the bishop. And as many as shall, in the exercise of penance, return into the unity of the Church, these, too, shall belong to God, that they may live according to Jesus Christ" (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Philadelphians 3 [A.D. 110]).

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=110870&page=6

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=126356&page=12

The Catholic Church does not claim that authority.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree