1. Maryland
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 18:02
    Accustom a people to believe that priests, or any other class of men, can forgive sins, and you will have sins in abundance. Thomas Paine
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 19:382 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Accustom a people to believe that priests, or any other class of men, can forgive sins, and you will have sins in abundance. Thomas Paine
    Seems that it would also apply to accustoming people to the belief that all they need do is profess belief in Christ and/or be baptized and/or confess their sins to God, etc. to have their sins forgiven even if they continue to sin.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 19:50
    Sins are religious fenomena. Only religious peple sin.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 21:56
    I don't get it, why should regular confession and absolution increase immorality?
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 21:59
    Exactly...
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 22:041 edit
    I was going to chime in but with vishvahetu on board with the OP, all hope is lost. None can stand firm against the Vishva-667joe steamroller of reason and logic.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 22:32
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I don't get it, why should regular confession and absolution increase immorality?
    i think the idea is that if you can simply be absolved then there is no restraint or deterrent to stop sinning, thus sin will increase in the knowledge that you shall simply be absolved. Could be wrong though.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 22:461 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think the idea is that if you can simply be absolved then there is no restraint or deterrent to stop sinning, thus sin will increase in the knowledge that you shall simply be absolved. Could be wrong though.
    I don't think any Catholic seriously thinks that way. Nobody enjoys confession; it is a humiliating experience to kneel down in a confessional and list all your sins to a priest. If anything, the practice of confession only increases a sense of shame and guilt. I recall Richard Dawkins actually saying that encouraging confession among children was abuse because it caused debilitating scruples. I think in part he is right. It is not healthy to spend every waking moment thinking 'Do I need to confess that?' In my experience, though, confession is on the decline. Very few Catholics make use of it and most of them are aging women who simply like to gossip in the confessional or else embarrassed teenagers admitting to the sin of self-abuse.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 22:55
    I don't think any Catholic seriously thinks that way. Nobody enjoys confession; it is a humiliating experience to kneel down in a confessional and list all your sins to a priest. If anything, the practice of confession only increases a sense of shame and guilt. I recall Richard Dawkins actually saying that encouraging confession among children was abuse bec ...[text shortened]... gossip in the confessional or else embarrassed teenagers admitting to the sin of self-abuse.
    is there any meaningful dialogue between priest and the person seeking absolution? it seems to me that if such was the case then why should it become a demeaning experience? should it not be like a burden being lifted from the shoulders? we are also taught that any counsel, even strict or sever counsel must always, and i cannot overstress this point, must always dignify the recipient in order that they are not overburdened with guilt.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 22:59
    I don't think any Catholic seriously thinks that way. Nobody enjoys confession; it is a humiliating experience to kneel down in a confessional and list all your sins to a priest. If anything, the practice of confession only increases a sense of shame and guilt. I recall Richard Dawkins actually saying that encouraging confession among children was abuse bec ...[text shortened]... gossip in the confessional or else embarrassed teenagers admitting to the sin of self-abuse.
    How is it humiliating when they can't even see you?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 23:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    is there any meaningful dialogue between priest and the person seeking absolution? it seems to me that if such was the case then why should it become a demeaning experience? should it not be like a burden being lifted from the shoulders? we are also taught that any counsel, even strict or sever counsel must always, and i cannot overstress this point, must always dignify the recipient in order that they are not overburdened with guilt.
    Generally, yes. The priest may impart some general advice before absolution. The issue here is not the priest's conduct. Any penitent will be embarrassed to tell a priest that they had, say, an affair or masturbated. Do you see my point? No matter what his demeanor, that confession inevitably will be embarrassing.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '10 23:59
    Generally, yes. The priest may impart some general advice before absolution. The issue here is not the priest's conduct. Any penitent will be embarrassed to tell a priest that they had, say, an affair or masturbated. Do you see my point? No matter what his demeanor, that confession inevitably will be embarrassing.
    sure yes, that's understandable.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 07:50
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I was going to chime in but with vishvahetu on board with the OP, all hope is lost. None can stand firm against the Vishva-667joe steamroller of reason and logic.
    What a mix!! Lol😀
  14. Maryland
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 13:57
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What a mix!! Lol😀
    Don't put me in the same boat as Vishy!
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jan '11 15:10
    Yes spiritual advice from an older one in the congregation is very helpful with the many problems we face in this world today. And it's not always an easy thing to do when we are in front of them because of a matter of serious sin and a prayer done by them in our behalf is a very appreciated thing.
    But as was discussed before in great detail, no imperfect man can forgive and remove our sins. That authority is only given to God's son Jesus. He is the only mediator between humans and his Father Jehovah. "No one goes to the Father except thru Jesus".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree