1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 01:391 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The sky IS falling. Just like the American educational system, and partly because evolution is watered down, creationism trying to be taught like it was some kind of science on a par with evolution.

Climate change being played down, totally confusing kids who get taught a lot of bullcrap about climate change, also watered down. A lot of this is the direc ...[text shortened]... course Congress is still collecting THEIR paychecks while a million workers are getting shafted.
    Okay, Chicken Little, the cause of the government shutdown is due to the refusal of the Liberal Democrats to negotiate on the budget. It will end one way or another, so you don't need to worry about global warming or the sky falling. You should be worried about the coming of the great day of the LORD.

Teaching our kids Creationism make a lot more sense than teaching this stupid Evil-lution Theory of slime to frog to ape to man to President of the United states.

The Instructor
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 03:021 edit
    Like the Dutch, they are becoming less and less religious every year yet their society is not saddled with religious strictures about morality, they can figure out for themselves what is right and what is wrong.

In the US, however, we are bogged down in this morass of religion, it is holding back our development as a country, in a place where almost 50% ...[text shortened]... frigging COUNTRY is dysfunctional and will remain so till we shuck the sham of religious dogma.
    You dolt. The public education system that teaches EVOLUTION and nothing about the Bible or religion or morality for that matter, has the US coming in 48th in the world when it comes to science and math.

How is religion to blame for this? Hmm?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 03:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    You dolt. The public education system that teaches EVOLUTION and nothing about the Bible or religion or morality for that matter, has the US coming in 48th in the world when it comes to science and math.

How is religion to blame for this? Hmm?
    Having a continual debate regarding the teaching of evolution certainly
    does not help the US education system but I cannot think it responsible
    for all that system's downfalls. Perhaps Creationism and poor science/maths
    results are of a common factor rather than cause & effect?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 03:50
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Having a continual debate regarding the teaching of evolution certainly
    does not help the US education system but I cannot think it responsible
    for all that system's downfalls. Perhaps Creationism and poor science/maths
    results are of a common factor rather than cause & effect?
    The problem with your conclusion is that the poor results are coming from the public education system that teach the Evilution Theory and nothing about Creation.

http://www.capenet.org/benefits.html

The Instructor
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 05:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The problem with your conclusion is that the poor results are coming from the public education system that teach the Evilution Theory and nothing about Creation.

http://www.capenet.org/benefits.html

The Instructor
    It was not a conclusion but a suggestion.
    And your "problem" with it has no logical foundation.
  6. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 06:402 edits
    The sky IS falling. Just like the American educational system, and partly because evolution is watered down, creationism trying to be taught like it was some kind of science on a par with evolution.

Climate change being played down, totally confusing kids who get taught a lot of bullcrap about climate change, also watered down. A lot of this is the direc ...[text shortened]... course Congress is still collecting THEIR paychecks while a million workers are getting shafted.
    Well said. If history has taught us one thing, it is this: never mix religion with politics. It is a sad truth that the US government, and the US community, is as fixated on disseminating religious discriminatory dogma as the the fanatical Islamic jihadists. It is, in my view, arrogant and humiliating to shove religion into people's faces disguised as politics. I am a reasonably intelligent member of the community quite capable of deciding for myself where I stand in spiritual matters, matters that are of an extremely personal nature and that have no relevance or bearing on the state or on anyone else for that matter. That 50% of the US population, who are as intelligent as any other nation, believes the world is only 6,000 years old is the most frightening indictment of the most powerful nation on earth. My observations of Americans, many of whom I count as dear friends, are that they love to categorise: creationist or evolutionary, democrat or republican, black or white, injun or cowboy, and it is this rather two dimensional way of thinking that has led to them being such supremely confident and fanatical frontiersmen - if you're not my friend then you're my enemy. But, bless them, they are gullible and they love rabble-raising and they just love to follow a cause! With sufficient fire and brimstone sermonising they would believe the earth was flat. As an atheistically inclined agnostic this frightens me!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 07:08
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It was not a conclusion but a suggestion.
    And your "problem" with it has no logical foundation.
    It has both a logical and statistical foundation, IMO.

The Instructor
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 07:17

The Instructor
    Which makes you part of the problem. You don't give a rats ass how far down the chute the American educational system goes as long as they are forced to teach creationism and the Earth is 6000 years old.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 07:35

The Instructor
    Logic is not dependant on your opinion or anyone else's so to put
    IMO after that statement just shows how ignorant you are. As for
    "statistical foundation" ... LMAO
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 08:42

creationism has little to do with denying global warming. yes, many who deny global warming are creationists, but many are simply greedy asholes.

do you honestly believe that a kid that believes creationism as it will be taught in schools (not mind control or brainwashing) had much potential to be an awesome scientist?

do you honestly believe rjhinds (or any other creationist) is a drooling wast of a person, leeching government money because he is unable to get a job, all because of his creationist views? he is ridiculed, yes, but he won't be in a position to start world war III because he is a creationist.

do you honestly think that learning some obscure facts about geography, math, biology, stuff you will never ever use in real life is much different from learning fairy tales about creationism, stuff you will never ever use in real life?

do you honestly think you or any other parent relies solely on the educational system? that education stops when the kid walks out of school. if anything i would say that the education from home is much more important, and school's only use is to enable the kid to socialize.

it is fun to make fun of creationists. their ignoring of facts, of reason, is laughable. let's stay logical though. them doing one stupid or two doesn't mean they will continue down this road until we begin invoking the benevolence of Chtulhu everytime we launch a boat or sacrificing to Thor so we can get electricity. This same reasoning is the one we mock when fundamentalists consider that gay marriage will inevitably lead to marrying goats, chairs, polygamy, hippieism, public orgies. or that a little marijuana will inevitably lead to you dying in a ditch of a heroin overdose
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 10:43
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    creationism has little to do with denying global warming. yes, many who deny global warming are creationists, but many are simply greedy asholes.

do you honestly believe that a kid that believes creationism as it will be taught in schools (not mind control or brainwashing) had much potential to be an awesome scientist?

do you honestly believe rjhinds ...[text shortened]... es. or that a little marijuana will inevitably lead to you dying in a ditch of a heroin overdose
    And you are simply brushing over the threat to the American educational system. What we are witnessing right now is the end of the US as a world power. I can't help thinking part of that is because of this obsession with creationism in the US. We are talking almost 50% thinking the world is 6000 years old. This is not the bleating of a tiny minority. Those people are helping set the standards for education. You don't see a connection between the US being something like 15 down the world list of education and the prevalence of creationism in the US? To me it is sickening.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 11:03
    And you are simply brushing over the threat to the American educational system. What we are witnessing right now is the end of the US as a world power. I can't help thinking part of that is because of this obsession with creationism in the US. We are talking almost 50% thinking the world is 6000 years old. This is not the bleating of a tiny minority. Those ...[text shortened]... the world list of education and the prevalence of creationism in the US? To me it is sickening.
    Do you actually have proof that the presence of religion in America has such an effect on the country? Just blurting out some random numbers and then expecting anybody but yourself to accept this as some sort of correlation is quite ridiculous. I think your dislike for religion has very much blinded you to being factual.

Give some examples on how religion is ending the US as a world power. Remember, you're making a big, extraordinary claim here, and I'm sure you will agree that such claims require extraordinary evidence. So "I know this guy who refuses to work on a Sunday" isn't going to cut it.

Something that I've proposed before but which was ignored: it's not (only) that America is getting "worse", it's mostly that other countries (China for instance) are getting "better".

Stop blaming religion for anything that you don't like. You're beginning to sound like RJHinds. Next thing you're going to use a pun of the word religion in all your posts.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 14:04
    And you are simply brushing over the threat to the American educational system. What we are witnessing right now is the end of the US as a world power. I can't help thinking part of that is because of this obsession with creationism in the US. We are talking almost 50% thinking the world is 6000 years old. This is not the bleating of a tiny minority. Those ...[text shortened]... the world list of education and the prevalence of creationism in the US? To me it is sickening.
    threat😀

no dude, gangs and violence in and near big city schools are threats. poorly payed teachers, no school fundings, nutjobs shooting up students, these are threats.

creationism, even if it was indeed taught in schools (they are planning to put ID first) would be a minor inconvenience.

you have children giving up education to join gangs (or because they are too poor to afford it), you have students being buried in student loans until their 40's. yet you consider that people being told the world is 6000 years old is the cause of the US going from number 1 to number 2😀

when was creationism a part of US policy, foreign or domestic?
    was greed or creationism that led to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?
    was greed or creationism that started the economic crisis?
    and the list can go on. at most, there are some men in position of power that might shoot their mouth off. but stuff is done by committee not by the decisions of the few. even if the president of the Us starts praying to Cthulhu to fix the economy, there are people to censor him.

"the end of the US as a world power"
    russia is a world power even now, with very big economic problems. don't exaggerate.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 16:551 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    threat😀

no dude, gangs and violence in and near big city schools are threats. poorly payed teachers, no school fundings, nutjobs shooting up students, these are threats.

creationism, even if it was indeed taught in schools (they are planning to put ID first) would be a minor inconvenience.

you have children giving up education to join gan ...[text shortened]... ld power"
    russia is a world power even now, with very big economic problems. don't exaggerate.
    It looks to me almost a civil war with dems on one side and repubs on the other. Government? We don' need no steenkin government....
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Oct '13 21:25
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Something that I've proposed before but which was ignored: it's not (only) that America is getting "worse", it's mostly that other countries (China for instance) are getting "better".
    I am not sure that sonhouse claims the US was getting worse, but rather that creationism was holding it back thus causing it to loose the race.
    Although I agree with him that creationism is generally detrimental to a good education, I don't think it is a particularly big factor. What affects education levels the most are wealth and culture. The culture component includes the education levels of the parents, the religion, various cultural values, practices the amount of value that is put on education, the amount of control that is exerted over children etc. Although religion affects culture to some degree, I would say it is non-religious components that affect education the most.
    In other words I would think that a child in the US with Christian parents of Indian descent would probably experience more pressure to do well as school than a child with Christian parents of European descent - even if both sets of parent attend the same Church.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree