Some countries growing up, forgetting religion:

Some countries growing up, forgetting religion:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Oct 13

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
all i have is speculation?
i speculate that the matter is not really black and white as you portray it. that maybe the end of civilization at the hands of christians is not really upon us.

what do you have?
I didn't say the end of civilization, that is you just projecting. I said it would really negatively effect the educational system in the US and that could lead to the US losing its scientific edge on the rest of the world, no longer #1 in so many fields of science, being subsumed by a rising tide of anti-scientific nonsense engendered by the ultra right wing extremists of christianity and the political clout they carry around by convincing common folk who have voting power to force their sick agenda on the population.

I am not even saying that is inevitable I am just pointing out the possibility if common folk are not shown the threat of these ideologues who can sway large populations already prepped by creation stories in their churches.

Z

Moves
09 Oct 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I didn't say the end of civilization, that is you just projecting. I said it would really negatively effect the educational system in the US and that could lead to the US losing its scientific edge on the rest of the world, no longer #1 in so many fields of science, being subsumed by a rising tide of anti-scientific nonsense engendered by the ultra right wi ...[text shortened]... ideologues who can sway large populations already prepped by creation stories in their churches.
you missed the point. i projected just as you did, only i exaggerated even more. in the past the US was no more atheistic or enlightened as it is today. yet you consider that now, it would be a problem.

your masses were no more enlightened then than they are today. yet scientific discovery still happened. maybe because scientists don't come from the masses.

who cares that your average people believe in evolution or creationism? who cares that janitors, doctors, lawyers, firemen believe the world is 6000 year old? there are just as many ignorant people who do not know how old is the earth or how many protons a hidrogen atom has. who cares about general trivia?

you have no basis that it would negatively affect the educational system. who remembers high school calculus or chemistry? only people that work in the field and/or have a passion for the subject. a lawyer will not remember the genetics of evolution. he will not remember what happens when you pour HCl on AgNO3. so basically what you want for the lawyer is to mindlessly repeat your theory (that he only roughly understands) instead of creationism (that not even creationists understand). you think that repeating your mantra instead of rjhinds' would make education better? would make that lawyer's lawyering better?

"being subsumed by a rising tide of anti-scientific nonsense engendered by the ultra right wing extremists of christianity and the political clout they carry around by convincing common folk who have voting power to force their sick agenda on the population. "

who is projecting? tell me. there is 0 evidence that creationists are succeeding in stopping US scientific progress. all evangelists are moving around in jets, they use computers and smartphones. they don't want progress to stop, they want to keep power over some ignorant sheep.

even stem cell research, the most controversial research topic today, is slowly getting more and more funding.

scientists ignore creationism crap. all sane people ignore creationism crap. you crap your pants that the US will no longer be number 1, but number 2.
i am not saying one shouldn't oppose the teaching of creationism in schools, far from it. but if you take one step back, you should see that you have a seriously messed up set of priorities. about education, there are several other much more important issues. it is not creationism that is responsible for your students scoring lower in overall knowledge (behind madagascar i hear). it is your attitude about knowledge, something that has not so much to do with creationism but everything else, from watching snooki to watching jerry springer.

you simply found a scapegoat to blame the state of your crappy educational system on.