1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 02:20
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Do you actually have proof that the presence of religion in America has such an effect on the country? Just blurting out some random numbers and then expecting anybody but yourself to accept this as some sort of correlation is quite ridiculous. I think your dislike for religion has very much blinded you to being factual.

Give some examples on how r ...[text shortened]... sound like RJHinds. Next thing you're going to use a pun of the word religion in all your posts.
    The fact is, the US used to be the prime generator of scientific papers, that has now passed to other countries, like China, Brazil and such. Patents are down. 43% of Americans believe the world is 6000 years old. They then go on to foist that on their kids and you don't think that has an effect? OF COURSE it has an effect. A VERY negative effect. 130 frigging MILLION people in the US thinking the world is 6000 years old and you don't see that as a problem?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 07:33
    This might be oldish news to some ...
    But in Texas
    http://www.salon.com/2013/10/03/texas_fundamentalists_want_to_teach_garden_of_eden_in_science_class_partner/
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 07:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    This might be oldish news to some ...
    But in Texas
    http://www.salon.com/2013/10/03/texas_fundamentalists_want_to_teach_garden_of_eden_in_science_class_partner/
    The writer of that article clearly shows a severe bias against teaching the truth of creation to our kids in school.

The Instructor
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 08:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The fact is, the US used to be the prime generator of scientific papers, that has now passed to other countries, like China, Brazil and such.
    That is because they are catching up in terms of education levels, wealth and investment in the sciences.

43% of Americans believe the world is 6000 years old.
    Or so says some polls. But how accurate are they?

They then go on to foist that on their kids and you don't think that has an effect?
    I am sure it does, but how big an effect? My neighbor's son is Christian and a creationist. But as far as I know it is so far having no real impact on his schooling. Much more important is his families education level, their attitude towards education, what group of friends he hangs around with etc.

OF COURSE it has an effect. A VERY negative effect. 130 frigging MILLION people in the US thinking the world is 6000 years old and you don't see that as a problem?
    But how big a problem in relation to all the other problems such as poverty, poor quality schools, a culture that is negative towards learning etc. We all see American schools on the tv and notice how negatively the whole concept of learning is portrayed by your media. I think that probably has a bigger impact than creationism.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 09:19
    The fact is, the US used to be the prime generator of scientific papers, that has now passed to other countries, like China, Brazil and such. Patents are down. 43% of Americans believe the world is 6000 years old. They then go on to foist that on their kids and you don't think that has an effect? OF COURSE it has an effect. A VERY negative effect. 130 frig ...[text shortened]... LLION people in the US thinking the world is 6000 years old and you don't see that as a problem?
    those 43% are not rocket scientists. those are the people working low level jobs. and i don't care if they believe in creationism or not. if not for creationism, they would hold snooki as their paragon of awesomeness.

tell me how many rocket scientists believe in creationism.

you seem to be under the impression that the masses need to be smart and knowledgeable. they really don't . the exceptional people will start thinking for themselves as soon as they are 12. the cure for cancer won't come from those masses anyway. they will just influence if the donkey or the elephant screw your country over for the next 4 years (or is it 5? whatever).

dude, let it go. creationism isn't scary. it is just laughable.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Oct '13 10:491 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    those 43% are not rocket scientists. those are the people working low level jobs. and i don't care if they believe in creationism or not. if not for creationism, they would hold snooki as their paragon of awesomeness.

tell me how many rocket scientists believe in creationism.

you seem to be under the impression that the masses need to be smart a ...[text shortened]... rs (or is it 5? whatever).

dude, let it go. creationism isn't scary. it is just laughable.
    I gather you don't live in a democracy? You get 130 MILLION folks believing in that nonsense and they are a potent political force capable of being lead by the extremists. Extremists by themselves are laughable but when you get near half the country believing in their BS it becomes a force to be reckoned with.

THAT is the problem, not the belief itself, which of course, confined to a church or mosque, is harmless.

It is NOT harmless when the extremists can count on the vote of near half the country.

THAT is what I am fighting against. And always will.

You seem to think 'ah well, boys will be boys' aren't they cute?

They are not CUTE. They are anti reason, anti thinking, anti education. And they control millions of votes. That is the reason for the decline in the US.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 06:491 edit
    "Why No One Believes Athiesm/Naturalism is True -"

(their title not mine - sonship)

YouTube
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 20:01
    I gather you don't live in a democracy? You get 130 MILLION folks believing in that nonsense and they are a potent political force capable of being lead by the extremists. Extremists by themselves are laughable but when you get near half the country believing in their BS it becomes a force to be reckoned with.

THAT is the problem, not the belief itself, ...[text shortened]... nti education. And they control millions of votes. That is the reason for the decline in the US.
    do you listen to yourself? your whole paranoia depends on a random survey that you don't know the details of and how it will lead to a United Christian States of Holy America, a land where there will be no research done, all will have to declare belief in a 6000 year old earth or be crucified for heresy.

what do you expect to happen? really? you honestly believe your 40% of american creationists will give up their cars, luxury items, fast food, if a fundamentalist president would ever ask them to? that they will dismantle american economy, research programs and live in accordance to god's laws?

even stem cell research is on the rise in the US.

you have no basis for your paranoia.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 01:53
    do you listen to yourself? your whole paranoia depends on a random survey that you don't know the details of and how it will lead to a United Christian States of Holy America, a land where there will be no research done, all will have to declare belief in a 6000 year old earth or be crucified for heresy.

what do you expect to happen? really? you hone ...[text shortened]...

even stem cell research is on the rise in the US.

you have no basis for your paranoia.
    We Christians do not believe in a forced religion of hate like the Muslim extremists. We believe in the freedom to choose. We can't help that the consequences of your actions may not be as you would like. God has already established the rules and consequences and everyone must play fair. There is no changing of the rules allowed in the middle of the game.

The Instructor
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 15:501 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We Christians do not believe in a forced religion of hate like the Muslim extremists. We believe in the freedom to choose. We can't help that the consequences of your actions may not be as you would like. God has already established the rules and consequences and everyone must play fair. There is no changing of the rules allowed in the middle of the game.

The Instructor
    You do not believe in the freedom to choose. That is a bald faced lie. If that were the case there would be no legal proceedings to force creationism to be taught as if it were a science in a science class.

There would be no forced conversions of native Americans a century ago, there would have been no Crusades, there would be no abortion doctors killed and all the rest of it.

Or like Salvation Army, giving out food but first a word from God. What, you are one of those DESPISED atheists? Get the hell out of our kitchen, go back to the street and just frigging die. Atheist indeed.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 20:18
    You do not believe in the freedom to choose. That is a bald faced lie. If that were the case there would be no legal proceedings to force creationism to be taught as if it were a science in a science class.

There would be no forced conversions of native Americans a century ago, there would have been no Crusades, there would be no abortion doctors killed ...[text shortened]... s? Get the hell out of our kitchen, go back to the street and just frigging die. Atheist indeed.
    You are confusing me and Christians like me today with what some others did in the past. Do you believe you should be blamed and held responsible for things your ancestors did hundreds of years ago?

The Instructor
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 04:401 edit
    You are confusing me and Christians like me today with what some others did in the past. Do you believe you should be blamed and held responsible for things your ancestors did hundreds of years ago?

The Instructor
    Oh you mean none of that bad stuff happens now? Like the legal wars to force creationism onto a science class or the killing of gays by religious nutters or that reprehensible baptist church interrupting the funerals of military people and those they think gay?

Or the Salvation Army refusing to give aid to a person who admitted being gay or atheist?

It's just Boys will be Boys and lets just all get along, no big deal?

Or the abortion clinic doctor killing.

So all that was hundreds of years in the past you say?

Or this: Muslim drivers canned by Hertz rent a car because they were Muslim, also given the lowest position jobs:

http://www.workforce.com/articles/hertz-sued-by-fired-muslim-drivers-alleging-religious-bias-retaliation

But of course all that happened 300 years ago.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 08:49
    you seem to be under the impression that the masses need to be smart and knowledgeable. they really don't .
    Yes they do!
    The great thinkers of the 16th, 17th, 18th & 19th Centuries came from the
    privileged classes. A small minority of the population.

The 20th & 21st centuries are seeing an explosion of ideas thanks to universal
    education and opportunity.

Who knows where the next outstanding mind will come from? A family that
    teaches Creationism to its kids? or a family that encourages curiosity, questioning and
    knowledge?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 09:48
    Oh you mean none of that bad stuff happens now? Like the legal wars to force creationism onto a science class or the killing of gays by religious nutters or that reprehensible baptist church interrupting the funerals of military people and those they think gay?

Or the Salvation Army refusing to give aid to a person who admitted being gay or atheist?
    ...[text shortened]... im-drivers-alleging-religious-bias-retaliation

But of course all that happened 300 years ago.
    All that has nothing to do with being Christian. Christ never commanded such action. Christ warned against those false prophets and teachers coming in His name and doing things in His name.

The Instructor
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 10:34
    All that has nothing to do with being Christian. Christ never commanded such action. Christ warned against those false prophets and teachers coming in His name and doing things in His name.

The Instructor
    Why then does your Jesus allow other so-called christians to order the deaths of so many people? Why doesn't this god of yours come down with vengeful wrath upon those who falsely set people up to kill by the millions in his name? Wouldn't you think that god would be royally ticked off at so much wanton murder?

How much murder would your god put up with before it decided enough is enough? We are already at about 2% of the human race dead from murder of religious sort or non religious wars. What does it take for you god to actually come down and put a stop to it?

Would that be at the 20 % level? 40%? 99% before it would say, stop this BS?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree