1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 16:58
    Originally posted by JS357
    Fundamental problem: No human can "speak for Christianity."
    I have the same disadvantage representing the Veda.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 18:17
    This thread is pure gold; I only wish darvlay was still alive to see it.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 19:05
    Originally posted by Dasa
    I have the same disadvantage representing the Veda.
    One of my questions would be, "What is the most important question that we can ask each of you, and what is your answer to that question?"
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '11 19:174 edits
    Your small fault finding brain has missed the point.

An answer heard by another would interfere with the natural tendencies of the answerer to answer naturally........but instead they would edit their answer before posting because of outside influence.

It has nothing to do with learning.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 00:451 edit
    One of my questions would be, "What is the most important question that we can ask each of you, and what is your answer to that question?"
    It could be that you have now taken the role as mediator and will therefore ask the questions from here on.

Are you willing to comply?

But as it is now.........we don't know as yet who the Christian person is.

Any Christian person out there who would like to comply.

------------------------

Anyhow I will answer the question you have asked.

Answer.....That,s a very good question and it attracts to it a very large topic so the one question which is the most important question is....... What is the purpose and meaning of life ?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 05:07
    It could be that you have now taken the role as mediator and will therefore ask the questions from here on.

Are you willing to comply?

But as it is now.........we don't know as yet who the Christian person is.

Any Christian person out there who would like to comply.

------------------------

Anyhow I will answer the question you have asked.

Ans ...[text shortened]... estion which is the most important question is....... What is the purpose and meaning of life ?
    I will not dare to arrogate to myself, any role here. It would be like herding cats. Both pointless and impossible.

The question you propose is one that has perplexed many. Maybe we could cooperate in collecting the important questions, for a while. Is there any reason that this cannot be a joint enterprise, or is it necessary to start stating and defending positions immediately?
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 05:18
    I will not dare to arrogate to myself, any role here. It would be like herding cats. Both pointless and impossible.

The question you propose is one that has perplexed many. Maybe we could cooperate in collecting the important questions, for a while. Is there any reason that this cannot be a joint enterprise, or is it necessary to start stating and defending positions immediately?
    I see what your saying but the role of mediator would be simplified by you just asking questions and that's all.

No herding required.

I cant grasp what you are asking me in your post could you please clarify.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 05:51
    I see what your saying but the role of mediator would be simplified by you just asking questions and that's all.

No herding required.

I cant grasp what you are asking me in your post could you please clarify.
    Simplifying...

What questions are important?

You have suggested one. "What is the purpose and meaning of life?"
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 05:56
    Simplifying...

Great idea to compile a list of Q's and then debate each with an advocate from different religions and an atheist.

May I contribute the question: Is there apurpose and/or meaning to life?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 06:011 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Great idea to compile a list of Q's and then debate each with an advocate from different religions and an atheist.

Another question, can these purpose of life questions even be decided by mankind?

Couldn't it be just asking the question proves mankind is incapable of answering it?
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 07:22
    Simplifying...

Well if you were the questioner then I suspect you would pose yourself as a person enquiring into subjects such as God, religion, life. death, existence, meaning, knowledge. ignorance. war, right, wrong, authority, speculation, truth, falsity, science of origins, creation, universe,s, the cosmos, scriptures, education.

You would have to think of questions that might arise from all these headings.
  12. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 07:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Another question, can these purpose of life questions even be decided by mankind?

Couldn't it be just asking the question proves mankind is incapable of answering it?
    Or it could mean that where there is a question there is an answer just like where there is smoke there is fire.

You see everyone dies and nobody wants to die so most persons would ask themselves what is this dying thing all about and why must I die especially if I seem to be having a good time and from this comes the idea...... What is the meaning of my short life?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 07:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

This is a good question but a closed one; perhaps re-worded as "how would you describe the meaning of life?".

Although this implies life 'has a meaning' I don't think anyone here really believes there is no meaning to their life - just that their meaning is different from another persons meaning.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 08:49
    Or it could mean that where there is a question there is an answer just like where there is smoke there is fire.

You see everyone dies and nobody wants to die so most persons would ask themselves what is this dying thing all about and why must I die especially if I seem to be having a good time and from this comes the idea...... What is the meaning of my short life?
    But all your answers and RJHinds answers are just words words and more words. Show me the spirit sometime. Show me your god, let it speak for itself. To me. Directly. Forget the middlemen, I don't need them. I want your god to talk to me. Directly.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 08:531 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But all your answers and RJHinds answers are just words words and more words. Show me the spirit sometime. Show me your god, let it speak for itself. To me. Directly. Forget the middlemen, I don't need them. I want your god to talk to me. Directly.
    Well said. However "show me" does require a middle man. There is nothing like finding for yourself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree