1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:40
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    You are optimistic and wolfgang59 is pessimistic,as is quite obvious from your and his posts.He is saying life has no meaning and you are saying this is not so.In my view (and it is not a"religionist" view as you have condescendingly called it but a common sense view) your vision is broader.But you say I am wrong !!
    Don't you accept a compliment from a theist ( that too a Hindu theist)?
    Well despite my own theism - some would say deism - I don't accept the idea that subscribing to a faith or pinning hopes on immortality [and adjusting one's actions during our actual real life accordingly] is somehow "bigger" or "broader". Not at all.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:431 edit
    Don't you accept a compliment from a theist ( that too a Hindu theist)?
    I appreciate your engagement and hearing your views, but I do not accept the compliment! 😀
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well despite my own theism - some would say deism - I don't accept the idea that subscribing to a faith or pinning hopes on immortality [and adjusting one's actions during our actual real life accordingly] is somehow "bigger" or "broader". Not at all.
    So what is your point? Does life have a meaning or not and if it does have meaning,how do you explain or elaborate it ?
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    I appreciate your engagement and hearing your views, but I do not accept the compliment! 😀
    Are theists or Hindu theists untouchables? Not equals in debate ? Not fellow humans ?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:53
    So what is your point? Does life have a meaning or not and if it does have meaning,how do you explain or elaborate it ?
    The story of my life in its every detail is the meaning of my life. What do you mean by "meaning"? Doing certain stuff to 'achieve' life after death? Preparing for some form of "salvation" or reincarnation? Following "God's instructions"? These are meanings that people conjure up for themselves to create 'content' for their lives, as far as I am concerned. Not necessary, I say. But good luck to them.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 14:55
    Are theists or Hindu theists untouchables? Not equals in debate ? Not fellow humans ?
    I don't know what you mean.
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 15:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    The story of my life in its every detail is the meaning of my life. What do you mean by "meaning"? Doing certain stuff to 'achieve' life after death? Preparing for some form of "salvation" or reincarnation? Following "God's instructions"? These are meanings that people conjure up for themselves to create 'content' for their lives, as far as I am concerned. Not necessary, I say. But good luck to them.
    There is a commonalty among beasts and humans. Beasts as well as humans struggle for food and have a desire to procreate.But Humans are distinguished from all other forms of life due to their curiosity about the world around,their struggle to master Nature,their vision which makes them look at the stars and beyond.Surely Humans are driven by aspirations far loftier than other creatures. Surely they have their moments of tragedy and triumph far more intense than other beings.This cannot happen unless Humans have sensed a meaning to their life,don't you think ?
    If the aims of life were to boil down to crude wishes of a better life after death or salvation or reincarnation or following god's instructions,at least in the beginnings of human spiritual journey,they need not be sniggered at by modern generations of thinkers. There is a meaning to human life,it may not have been articulated properly or it might be replaced by some other/newer meaning but it is there.
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 15:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't know what you mean.
    This was an outburst due to your refusal to accept a straightforward compliment.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 17:00
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Well if you were the questioner then I suspect you would pose yourself as a person enquiring into subjects such as God, religion, life. death, existence, meaning, knowledge. ignorance. war, right, wrong, authority, speculation, truth, falsity, science of origins, creation, universe,s, the cosmos, scriptures, education.

You would have to think of questions that might arise from all these headings.
    I appreciate having questions about such things in my life and do not expect to find final answers. It feels like having an aha or eureka moment would be followed the next day by the question reappearing, perhaps in a slightly different form, and I will welcome it back. Sort of like chess.

I am sure we could find examples of good questions on all those subjects. I think part of the journey includes finding the question in a form that engages us and we feel is worthwhile, but that form will vary from person to person. What is a question about right and wrong that you feel is worthwhile considering? Find a group of people who like the same question, and discuss it with them, or just listen in. Sooner or later you can predict who will say what about it.

A structured debate like you suggest is apparently of some interest to the usual suspects on this forum, but getting the cats to stay on the task of formulating the list of questions is obviously difficult. So. probably, one question at a time is best. Let the Meaning and purpose of life question wind down, then pose the next one.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 17:17
    There is a commonalty among beasts and humans. Beasts as well as humans struggle for food and have a desire to procreate.But Humans are distinguished from all other forms of life due to their curiosity about the world around,their struggle to master Nature,their vision which makes them look at the stars and beyond.Surely Humans are driven by aspirations f ...[text shortened]... been articulated properly or it might be replaced by some other/newer meaning but it is there.
    Well, what can I say? Except for, thank you for sharing your musings on the 'meaning of life'.
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    I appreciate having questions about such things in my life and do not expect to find final answers. It feels like having an aha or eureka moment would be followed the next day by the question reappearing, perhaps in a slightly different form, and I will welcome it back. Sort of like chess.

I am sure we could find examples of good questions on all those subj ...[text shortened]... a time is best. Let the Meaning and purpose of life question wind down, then pose the next one.
    In my OP I had said one question at a time.

20 questions but one at a time.

One question on Monday another on Wed another on Friday and so on.

As a question asker, just anything that comes to mind from the whole range of topics that have been suggested.

But anyway the suggestion is not taking hold so that's OK it was just something I thought would be a move away from normality.

I am happy to leave it at that.

And your right .........keeping the persons on task would be most difficult.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 18:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your spiritual beliefs have no impact on me whatsoever, and the same goes for mine on you.

I'm neither judging your ability to imagine, nor by contrast claiming that religion is mere imagination.

"What you see" obviously does not literally to that which can be seen with the eyes. Is that what you thought I meant? Perhaps you have misunderstood o ...[text shortened]... Sorry. I perceive no cake and therefore perceive no eating of it.[/b]
    Your spiritual beliefs have no impact on me whatsoever, and the same goes for mine on you.

You don't have any "spiritual beliefs", so why would you even consider them having an impact on me?

"What you see" obviously does not literally to that which can be seen with the eyes.

Really, so you are talking about "that which is not seen" and therefore (in this context not what you get)..is what exactly?

"What you see is what you get", to me, means "This is life. It's wonderful. Who needs more, especially when that [religionist] "more" is pure speculation and hope/fear." So this is life - our faculties are amazing. "Imagination" and "wonder" are among those faculties that fill life with meaning. "Love", "empathy", and others too.

Exactly, love, empathy, wonder, meaning (meaning indeed!!) - this life is NOT just that which is seen. I agree with you wholeheartedly and sincerely my friend.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Aug '11 20:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    [b]Your spiritual beliefs have no impact on me whatsoever, and the same goes for mine on you.

You don't have any "spiritual beliefs", so why would you even consider them having an impact on me?

"What you see" obviously does not literally to that which can be seen with the eyes.

Really, so you are talking about "that which is not seen" ...[text shortened]... is seen. I agree with you wholeheartedly and sincerely my friend.[/b]
    The meaning of life for Dasa is to keep doing it until you get it right.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 00:01
    Just because I don't seek to have any impact on your beliefs doesn't mean I don't have spiritual beliefs. Why is it important for you to make pronouncements on what my beliefs are and are not? Is it an important element of your own "spirituality" to do so?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '11 00:061 edit
    Really, so you are talking about "that which is not seen" and therefore (in this context not what you get)..is what exactly?
    I mean life is what it is. And we are what we are - and capable of what we are capable of. Telling myself I will live forever - as if life as it is is somehow not enough - is not a brand of spirituality that I subscribe to. I feel no need to conjure up 'meaning' in that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree