Spiritual Health

Spiritual Health

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Oct 11

Let's use "spiritual" here in a generic sense, and not as it relates to any god or religion. This is a completely humanistic approach. No direct references to "divine inspiration". Please!

The reason I bring this up is because of another thread where an individual is discussed.

"Spiritual health". The whole person. What constitutes a spiritually healthy person? What attributes and qualities does a "spiritually healthy" person characterises?

Maybe a list of positives and negatives. Things that contrast. Comparisons between good and bad. Things that make a person either well or ill spiritually.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
15 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by josephwf
Let's use "spiritual" here in a generic sense, and not as it relates to any god or religion. This is a completely humanistic approach. No direct references to "divine inspiration". Please!

The reason I bring this up is because of another thread where an individual is discussed.

"Spiritual health". The whole person. What constitutes a spiritually heal arisons between good and bad. Things that make a person either well or ill spiritually.
Spiritual comes from spirit.

Spirit is synonymous with the soul.

The soul is part of the Divine.

The soul cannot exist without God..

How could we discuss spiritual health without the mention of the Divine?

Maybe the post should be re-submitted differently.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Oct 11

Originally posted by josephw

"Spiritual health". The whole person. What constitutes a spiritually healt ...[text shortened]... arisons between good and bad. Things that make a person either well or ill spiritually.
There are many things one can do to improve one's spirtual health. Yoga,meditation,tai chi,just to name a few.
I believe whatever activity one engages in for their spiritual health, they should do in a wholistic manner. Also they should stick with it when it gets tough.
I personally have gotten more healthier from meditation and yoga.

F

Moves
15 Oct 11
2 edits

Originally posted by Dasa
How could we discuss spiritual health without the mention of the Divine?
Well, because there is no doubt whatsoever, with our consciousness, conscience, identity, personality, and facility for abstraction, that we are spiritual beings, and that this is known both collectively and individually as the human spirit. It is not in anyway speculative to assert the existence of human spirit, I think. You and others, and me in the past, might refer to this as the "soul". Others might not, and yet may be talking about the same thing. I can accept this terminology ( "soul" ) as long as it doesn't come part and parcel with dogmatic religionist assertions. "The Divine" on the other hand is the subject of diverse speculation and superstition about which there is no consensus. To me, therefore - and I hope you can accept this as an honest statement of my view - it is perfectly possible to discuss spiritual health without the mention of the Divine.

F

Moves
15 Oct 11

"Spiritual health". The whole person. What constitutes a spiritually healthy person? What attributes and qualities does a "spiritually healthy" person characterises?
The state of key relationships in ones life is fundamental to being "spiritually healthy". I would take into consideration the nature of my bond with my spouse and children in any 'spiritual stock-take'.

F

Moves
15 Oct 11

What attributes and qualities does a "spiritually healthy" person characterises?
An ability to empathize; more important than sympathy, I think. Very important upshot of 'good spiritual health'. Empathy embraces tolerance and a desire to do no harm to those around you. It may also embrace activism and participation in collective processes to improve things around us. Empathy also overlaps with flexibility and patience, and even things like honesty. Yes, I'd say 'empathy' is more central to spiritual health than it is often given credit for.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
15 Oct 11

Originally posted by FMF
An ability to empathize; more important than sympathy, I think. Very important upshot of 'good spiritual health'. Empathy embraces tolerance and a desire to do no harm to those around you. It may also embrace activism and participation in collective processes to improve things around us. Empathy also overlaps with flexibility and patience, and even things like h ...[text shortened]... s, I'd say 'empathy' is more central to spiritual health than it is often given credit for.
You are very right there. Empathy is a key characteristic of every spiritually awake person. The more one becomes spiritual, the more empathetic one becomes.
The ego starts losing its grip on the spiritual person and that blessed person starts losing selfishness altogether. The empathetic person has been likened to a transparent crystal. You keep a crystal on ash, it takes on ashy colour. Keep it on turmeric powder, it takes on that dark yellow colour. And so on, while it has no colour of its own. A saint mixes with children, he/she becomes one with their pain and pleasure. The saint mixes with adults, he/she suffers their pain and enjoys their pleasures. We say that the Vyashti-man of that person or the individual mind of that person is replaced by Samashti-man or social mind.
But there are many other indications of the spiritual health.
I think you may find from the Uddhav Geeta, extracts which I am submitting for the reading of the community here, that Contentment with one's lot and an even tempered approach to one's ups and downs in life, non attachment of self with objects of sensual pleasures are a few of the qualities of the spiritual person.
Bodily indications of increasing spiritual health are also there. I had informed them to bbarr sometime back, when he asked.
But the one important indication that a person is spiritually healthy is the effect he/she has on others. If you feel peaceful in the presence of this person, if you feel that all your worldly cares and sorrows are losing their sting by the minute, if you feel an echo in your heart of the smile he/she has on his/her face, then there is almost a certainty that he/she has been spiritually fully awakened. Charlatans and humbugs excepted, of which type unfortunately many exist in India and are doing well.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Oct 11

Every "spiritually healthy" person I've met has had absolutely amazing eyes. Everytime. And I've met a few "above" me.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
15 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Every "spiritually healthy" person I've met has had absolutely amazing eyes. Everytime. And I've met a few "above" me.
You can, for example, take a look at Srisri Ravishankar's videos. If a modern Indian is spiritually awake fully, he is. N.B. I am not his follower nor I have read or follwed his teachings.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Oct 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
You can, for example, take a look at Srisri Ravishankar's videos. If a modern Indian is spiritually awake fully, he is. N.B. I am not his follower nor I have read or follwed his teachings.
What is "N.B.", and what are you responding to? Does this supposedly enlightened person have outstanding eyes?

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
15 Oct 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
What is "N.B.", and what are you responding to? Does this supposedly enlightened person have outstanding eyes?
N.B. means " Nota Bene " or Important Note. Yes, Srisri Ravishankar has very magnetic eyes, as seen from his photographs.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
15 Oct 11

Originally posted by FMF
An ability to empathize; more important than sympathy, I think. Very important upshot of 'good spiritual health'. Empathy embraces tolerance and a desire to do no harm to those around you. It may also embrace activism and participation in collective processes to improve things around us. Empathy also overlaps with flexibility and patience, and even things like h ...[text shortened]... s, I'd say 'empathy' is more central to spiritual health than it is often given credit for.
If empathy creates a desire to do no harm to others - then do no harm to Gods creatures and stop killing and eating them.

Its just lip service with no genuine meaning.

If empathy embraces activism and collective process,s - then actively accept the spiritual authority - and become involved in the collective association of persons rendering devotional service to the Lord through Bhakti Yoga - to improve things.

Oh.......and reject your spiritual mind map that deceives you - by making you believe that beer drinking, sex worship and animal killing is somehow a spiritual life style.

F

Moves
15 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Dasa
If empathy creates a desire to do no harm to others - then do no harm to Gods creatures and stop killing and eating them.

Its just lip service with no genuine meaning.

If empathy embraces activism and collective process,s - then actively accept the spiritual authority - and become involved in the collective association of persons rendering devotional ser ...[text shortened]... ou believe that beer drinking, sex worship and animal killing is somehow a spiritual life style.
Thank you for comments and concern. No doubt you are sincere in what you believe about what has meaning and what does not have meaning. As you know, your self-serving, idiosyncratic and alienating definitions of words like "spiritual", "authority" and "worship" are not something that I accept, intellectually or spiritually. So your display of what you probably see as 'ultimate love' here is wasted in as much as it comes across as jaundiced, rancorous and sterile, perhaps - in part - because I don't belong to your religion. But I support fully your right to believe what you want to believe about yourself. I respect your lifestyle choice to be a vegetarian.

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
16 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Thank you for comments and concern. No doubt you are sincere in what you believe about what has meaning and what does not have meaning. As you know, your self-serving, idiosyncratic and alienating definitions of words like "spiritual", "authority" and "worship" are not something that I accept, intellectually or spiritually. So your display of what you probably s you want to believe about yourself. I respect your lifestyle choice to be a vegetarian.
I am here in this forum to present truth and expose falsity.

So why do you continually post-up as a spiritual life style.......that beer drinking, sex worship, rock and roll worship, animal killing - is a spiritual life style when it is no more than a materialistic life style - similar to the atheistic life style of the atheists.

I have exposed this sought of behaviour before - as not spiritual.

Can you see that it has nothing to do with a spiritual life style - and in fact it goes against the spiritual life style in every respect.

You can see this clearly - but never the less you hold tightly to the false belief that it is somehow spiritual.

This is very dishonest on your part.

Would you like me to teach you what true spiritual living looks like?

Because you have no idea.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
16 Oct 11

Examined by Jehovah—Why Beneficial?
Everyone desires good health. It makes life much more enjoyable. Yet, many who enjoy good health still get a checkup occasionally. Why? They seek to detect any developing health problems so that measures can be taken to remedy them. It is even more important to safeguard our spiritual health. Jehovah’s approval depends on our keeping “healthy in the faith.”—Titus 1:13.
Now is an appropriate time to be examined by Jehovah. Why so? Because Jehovah is in his holy temple, and he is examining the hearts of all men. (Ps. 11:4, 5; Prov. 17:3) Like David, we ask Jehovah to give us a thorough examination: “Examine me, O Jehovah, and put me to the test; refine my kidneys and my heart.”—Ps. 26:2.
We must guard against threats to our spiritual health that may come from within us because of our imperfect flesh. Proverbs 4:23 counsels: “More than all else that is to be guarded, safeguard your heart, for out of it are the sources of life.”
Our spiritual health can also be threatened by the corrupt, immoral world that surrounds us. If we allow ourselves to get too close to this wicked system, we could begin to think as it does and develop worldly attitudes. Or we might adopt a worldly life-style and be overcome by the spirit of the world.—Eph. 2:2, 3.
Satan may use persecution or direct opposition in an effort to devastate us spiritually. Far more often, however, he craftily uses worldly attractions to seduce us. Peter urges us to ‘keep our senses and be watchful,’ since Satan is “like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.” We are urged to ‘take a stand against him, remaining solid in the faith.’—1 Pet. 5:8, 9.
There is a need to protect our spiritual health, keeping our faith strong by strengthening it each day. The apostle Paul recommends that we test our faith continually. Just as we wisely heed practical advice given to us by a competent doctor, we also listen to Jehovah when His spiritual examination reveals a problem that needs to be corrected. This makes it possible for us “to be readjusted.”—2 Cor. 13:5, 11.
Jehovah is truly the great Examiner. His diagnosis is always accurate. He knows exactly what we need. Through his Word and ‘the faithful slave,’ he prescribes a healthful spiritual diet. (Matt. 24:45; 1 Tim. 4:6) Regular feeding on this diet of nutritious spiritual food at home and at congregation meetings enables us to keep spiritually healthy. Regular spiritual exercise in the ministry and other Christian activity is also beneficial. Therefore, we welcome a regular examination by Jehovah, confident that he will keep us in the best of spiritual health.