1. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    16 Oct '11 21:54
    So--in summing up the majority of teachings in this thread; as long as I'm nice to animals, I'm a spiritual person?
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 01:08
    Originally posted by sumydid
    So--in summing up the majority of teachings in this thread; as long as I'm nice to animals, I'm a spiritual person?
    You and every living thing is eternally spiritual - and you cannot change that even if you tried.

But your mind may be out of control and bewildered - and this is what you must fix.

Because while the mind is in ignorance you cannot love God....ever ever ever

Killing animals is a sign of great ignorance - especially if one is professing to be religious and living the spiritual life.

This animal killing that is supported by the Bible is its greatest error - and destroys any chance for the person to know and love God.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 01:35
    Thats not the way I read it
  4. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 03:38
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Thats not the way I read it
    that's because you are a confused, animal-killing, unspiritual person. as long as you keep eating those mcchickens, you will always remain in a state of spiritual confusion.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 03:44
    that's because you are a confused, animal-killing, unspiritual person. as long as you keep eating those mcchickens, you will always remain in a state of spiritual confusion.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Oh , i see, you were responding to a "Dasaism". 😀

The only time I will eat a McChicken is if it is free and no one else wants it.
    You ever seen "Fast Food Nation"? (by Richard Linkleater)
  6. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 03:48
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Oh , i see, you were responding to a "Dasaism". 😀

The only time I will eat a McChicken is if it is free and no one else wants it.
    You ever seen "Fast Food Nation"? (by Richard Linkleater)
    I've never seen it but I know the gist of it.

Hey, back in the day, we used to store our meats at room temperture, and the green rot on that formed on the outside was considered a delicacy.

McDonalds may be crappy food but, if green, rotted meat didn't kill us, I doubt McDonalds will.

I wonder what effect all those preservatives have on us? Maybe they are having a positive effect on our organs! 😀
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 04:061 edit
    I've never seen it but I know the gist of it.

Hey, back in the day, we used to store our meats at room temperture, and the green rot on that formed on the outside was considered a delicacy.

McDonalds may be crappy food but, if green, rotted meat didn't kill us, I doubt McDonalds will.

I wonder what effect all those preservatives have on us? Maybe they are having a positive effect on our organs! 😀
    Moderation.

There was another documentary where a guy ate nothing but McDonalds for breakfast , lunch and tea for a month.
    He had a check up before and after with his doctor. Needless to say he was much unhealthier after the month. Also his girlfriend noted his sex drive had seriously declined!

There is no doubt that too much McDonalds-type food is unhealthy.
    The nutritional value is greatly outweighed by the unhealthy effects.
    Maybe once or twice a week,max.

Edit: I have barely skimmed the surface with listing the negative effects of McDonalds ,(and others), and I really dont want to go into it, but I am sure there is a website called "McS**t" or something like that , that will have a list of the many many bad practices that are employed by McDonalds and co.

(Geez, I sure did mention their name a lot in that post, I hope this is not seen as "any publicity is good publicity" 😕 )
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 10:12
    Originally posted by Dasa
    I have exposed this sought of behaviour before - as not spiritual.
    Dasa, you haven't "exposed" anything. You have simply made assertions. Almost nobody here accepts your assertions. And I certainly don't. In all sincerity I support your right to live your life as you see fit, but if part of your "spiritual" life is somehow dependent on hectoring and insulting people whose spiritual beliefs are different from yours, then I would say that you are perhaps demonstrating a lack of "spiritual health" that is unequalled in this community.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 10:16
    If empathy creates a desire to do no harm to others - then do no harm to Gods creatures and stop killing and eating them.
    You are getting humans and animals mixed up, Dasa. Humans are spiritual beings who have the facility for empathy. One can have sympathy for animals - one can care about them - as I do, and this is the reason that I oppose cruelty to animals. One cannot empathize with animals. On this thread I am talking about human "spiritual health", not your belief that vegetarianism is somehow the key to spirituality of non-vegetarians.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '11 12:09
    Spiritual comes from spirit.

Spirit is synonymous with the soul.

The soul is part of the Divine.

The soul cannot exist without God..

How could we discuss spiritual health without the mention of the Divine?

Maybe the post should be re-submitted differently.
    Spiritual comes from spirit.

Spirit is synonymous with the soul.

Spirit is NOT synonomous with soul.
    But I respect the restrictions of the thread. And we were asked not to refer to the Bible (in so many words, it certainly included the Bible).

Without the Bible there is no way, no way that I would know that spirit and soul are not synonomous.

I simply could not know that apart from revelation. I am speaking for myself.

Without the Bible and the experience that the Bible leads one to, I don't think we could realize that the human soul and the human spirit are not identical.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 17:302 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    Let's use "spiritual" here in a generic sense, and not as it relates to any god or religion. This is a completely humanistic approach. No direct references to "divine inspiration". Please!

The reason I bring this up is because of another thread where an individual is discussed.

"Spiritual health". The whole person. What constitutes a spiritually healt arisons between good and bad. Things that make a person either well or ill spiritually.
    being thankful for everything - including the most mundane things.
    being able to regard everyone as being, in some way, more important than oneself.

ultimately -- being able to truly love one's neighbor as one loves oneself -- even if the neighbor in question has treated you cruelly and unfairly.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 13:342 edits
    [double post]
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 13:39
    If empathy embraces activism and collective process,s - then actively accept the spiritual authority - and become involved in the collective association of persons rendering devotional service to the Lord through Bhakti Yoga - to improve things.
    I don't want to seek out "Bhakti Yoga" followers as partners in civil society activism. If they are there amongst the people I am working with I will interact with them in a spirit of diversity and mutual respect. I have worked with people of many religions and many without religion too.
  14. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 13:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    [double post]
    May I ask please what you do Monday to Friday.....like what's your vocation.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 13:47
    May I ask please what you do Monday to Friday.....like what's your vocation.
    No. And I don't want to know what you do for a living either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree