1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    18 Sep '11 14:45
    Spiritual materialism is an attachment to the spiritual path as a solid accomplishment or possesion. Some people think it is the hardest to overcome. The imagery that is used is that of Golden Chains, and you love your golden chains because they're so beautiful and shiny. But you're not free. You're just trapped in a bigger and better trap. The point of spiritual practice is to become free, not to build a trap that may have the appeariance of a mansion but is still a prison. Ego is is constantly attempting to acguire and apply the teachings of spirituality for it's own benefit. We become skillful actors, and play deaf and dumb to the real meaning of the teachings, we find some comfort in pretending to follow the path.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '11 15:33
    Originally posted by buckky
    Spiritual materialism is an attachment to the spiritual path as a solid accomplishment or possesion. Some people think it is the hardest to overcome. The imagery that is used is that of Golden Chains, and you love your golden chains because they're so beautiful and shiny. But you're not free. You're just trapped in a bigger and better trap. The point of spiri ...[text shortened]... to the real meaning of the teachings, we find some comfort in pretending to follow the path.
    rec'd.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 03:18
    Spiritual materialism is an attachment to the spiritual path as a solid accomplishment or possesion. Some people think it is the hardest to overcome. The imagery that is used is that of Golden Chains, and you love your golden chains because they're so beautiful and shiny. But you're not free. You're just trapped in a bigger and better trap. The point of spiri ...[text shortened]... to the real meaning of the teachings, we find some comfort in pretending to follow the path.
    Yes, at this stage people's dharma's must be dealt with one by one, each case individually.
    For some a 'new golden chain', is just what is required, for others not.
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 04:141 edit
    Spiritual materialism is an attachment to the spiritual path as a solid accomplishment or possesion. Some people think it is the hardest to overcome. The imagery that is used is that of Golden Chains, and you love your golden chains because they're so beautiful and shiny. But you're not free. You're just trapped in a bigger and better trap. The point of spiri to the real meaning of the teachings, we find some comfort in pretending to follow the path.
    Exactly true....................

But real spiritualiy demand the the student to follow and practice the 4 pillars of religious life namely

1. no meat eating.

2. no illicit sex.

3. no gambling and speculation.

4. no intoxication or drugs.

When these so called spiritualist with their golden chains are presented with these 4 pillars as the basic requirements to begin their spiritual life................you cannot see them for the dust of their heels when they run away and hide.

And these 4 pillars are only the beginning - which without you have no spiritual life.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 04:17
    Originally posted by Dasa

But real spiritualiy demand the the student to follow and practice the 4 pillars of religious life namely

1. no meat eating.

2. no illicit sex.

When these so called spiritualist with their golden chains are presented with these 4 pillars as the basic ...[text shortened]... hide.

And these 4 pillars are only the beginning - which without you have no spiritual life.
    Do you think 4 is enough?
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 04:18

1. no meat eating.

2. no illicit sex.

When these so called spiritualist with their golden chains are presented with these 4 pillars as the basic ...[text shortened]... hide.

So you could 'murder a child' and that would not be required as a 'pillar'?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 04:371 edit
    1. no meat eating.

2. no illicit sex.

1. I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meat in terms of spirituality. I understand that you do and I respect your choice.

2. Sex, as far as I am concerned and in my own personal experience, is undoubtedly more of a spiritual thing than it is a physical thing. As humans we have this capacity and I reckon this sets us apart from the non-human inhabitants of the Earth. You have talked about your "distaste" for sex. I understand that this is in accordance with your beliefs and I respect your choice. However, you have great difficulty using words with their conventional meanings, so I have no interest in debating the definition of "illicit" with you.

3. I don't gamble. I don't borrow money. I don't see how either really have any spiritual connotations. One of the reasons I am not interested in religions and religionists' claims is because I see them all as codified speculation and wielded as alleged 'authority". I understand that you need to submit to an "authority" and I respect your choice to feel certain and "perfect" in your speculations.

4. I drink a little beer from time to time. I don't think there is any "spiritual" dimension to whether we drink beer or don't drink beer.

All four of the 'tenets' for "true spirituality" just sound like rules set to maintain a certain social order. You use the word "true" subjectively. I understand these four "rules" however, and I fully understand that you choose to obey them, and I respect your choice.
  8. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 05:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Do you think 4 is enough?
    Definitely not and this why I said its only the beginning.

Vedanta then goes on to explain in detail what is then required to advance in spiritual understanding giving many more instructions for guidance.

The 4 pillars are just the very basic requirements to begin with.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 06:19
    2. no illicit sex.
    What do you classify as illicit sex?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 06:24
    Definitely not and this why I said its only the beginning.

Vedanta then goes on to explain in detail what is then required to advance in spiritual understanding giving many more instructions for guidance.

The 4 pillars are just the very basic requirements to begin with.
    I would've thought not murduring another human a much greater "plillar" than not eating meat.
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 10:25
    Excellent,buckky ! You are very right there ! Any attachment--whether to good thoughts and deeds or to bad deeds or thoughts--will mean entrapment of the Soul. We must deliberate rid ourselves of all of our attachements if we are ever to be free.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:03
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Excellent,buckky ! You are very right there ! Any attachment--whether to good thoughts and deeds or to bad deeds or thoughts--will mean entrapment of the Soul. We must deliberate rid ourselves of all of our attachements if we are ever to be free.
    You would be even freer, if you killed yourself. That would guarantee that you would have no attachment to things of this world. But who wants that sort of freedom?

Why do you want to be free?
  13. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You would be even freer, if you killed yourself. That would guarantee that you would have no attachment to things of this world. But who wants that sort of freedom?

Why do you want to be free?
    Why would you want to be in chains ? The contraction that is within all minds needs to be released for true freedom to be had.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:27
    Why would you want to be in chains ? The contraction that is within all minds needs to be released for true freedom to be had.
    I ask again, why do you want this freedom. You seem to take it as a given that everybody wants it, but I really don't get it.

I don't feel like I am in chains. Do you?
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 11:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What do you classify as illicit sex?
    Sex outside of marriage is illicit sex ...........and when married only sex for procreation.

Persons who have not raised their consciousness will have difficulty maintaining this requirement so one must become serious in their spiritual life.

Jesus said we cannot serve two masters.

Without being a serious student love of God will not develop.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree