1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '15 09:52
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33296884

Brazil: Foie gras banned in Sao Paulo restaurants

Legislators in Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo, have banned the production and sale of foie gras, a delicacy made from the fatty liver of force-fed ducks and geese. City councillors said animals go through a great deal of suffering for the production of the pate. Animal rights campaigners have hailed the move, but some of Sao Paulo's best-known chefs have voiced concern. [more at the the link]

Eating animals is one thing, perhaps; but what about the degree of suffering involved in processing animals as food for humans? Is it a concern for you ~ and what are the philosophical and spiritual considerations in your mind?

And Dasa, you're invited to contribute here too as I know this is a subject close to your heart. But I'm not so interested in the arguments for vegetarianism ~ more in the arguments surrounding the conduct of catering to carnivorous humans.

What are the moral dimensions to this issue? Are there any specific standards ~ be they spiritual or otherwise ~ by which human behaviour can measure itself?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '15 10:24
    Originally posted by FMF

[b]Brazil: Foie gras banned in Sao Paulo restaurants

[quote]Legislators in Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo, have banned the production and sale of foie gras, a delicacy made from the fatty liver of force-fed ducks and geese. City councillors said animals go through a great deal of suffering for the ...[text shortened]... ecific standards ~ be they spiritual or otherwise ~ by which human behaviour can measure itself?[/b]
    Foie gras is disgusting; both to eat and its manufacture. Well played Brazil I say.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '15 15:08
    What about the screams of raspberries ripped from the bramble? Just because we don't hear them, doesn't mean they don't suffer.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 20:392 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

[quote]Legislators in Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo, have banned the production and sale of foie gras, a delicacy made from the fatty liver of force-fed ducks and geese. City councillors said animals go through a great deal of suffering for the ...[text shortened]... ecific standards ~ be they spiritual or otherwise ~ by which human behaviour can measure itself?[/b]
    It's natural to want to cause as little suffering as possible.
    Hindus revere the cow because it gives them milk.
    Hindu philosophy says all beings suffer. and this being a given for Hindus. they try to reduce suffering. Killing an animal incurs more karma than killing a plant. To be born in a human form is blessed because we have the brains (and the technology) to choose.
    BTW I am not a vegetarian but I do buy cage free eggs and 'well lived' steak.

One question I have of the Hindus (or is it just the Hare's ) - How come Hare KRsnas wont eat onion or garlic?

I was told that they are 'foods in the mode of passion' (and hence incur more karma?? ) I'm unsatisfied by that answer. Dasa?
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 21:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

One question I have of the Hindus (or is it just the Hare's ) - How come Hare KRsnas wont eat onion or garlic?
    Don't they wear those ponytails so that God can yank them up to heaven without notice?

Perhaps that don't eat onions or garlic in fear of meeting the Lord with bad breath.

I am not a loon.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 21:45
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Don't they wear those ponytails so that God can yank them up to heaven without notice?

Perhaps that don't eat onions or garlic in fear of meeting the Lord with bad breath.

I am not a loon.
    I met someone who was groomed like that when a child. Heck, he looks nothing like a devotee now, yet he respects his heritage
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 23:18
    Originally posted by moonbus
    What about the screams of raspberries ripped from the bramble? Just because we don't hear them, doesn't mean they don't suffer.
    Do not walk on the grass!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 23:23
    Originally posted by FMF

1 Timothy 4:4,5
    For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

But common sense means not at the expense of torturing animals.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 23:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do not walk on the grass!
    'walk on the grass like every step were a kiss'
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 23:30
    'walk on the grass like every step were a kiss'
    I don't kiss the grass ole man. I smoke it! 😉

Not really!
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 00:35
    But common sense means not at the expense of torturing animals.
    Can you give me any examples of how you apply this common sense to your own intake of food?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 00:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Can you give me any examples of how you apply this common sense to your own intake of food?
    Sure! I eat what I like.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 00:511 edit
    Sure! I eat what I like.
    even species on the brink of destruction?

I know "god" said that the Earth is for us to enjoy and to have dominion over the life on the planet.

But I still think this is wrongly interpreted . We should be custodians of the planet, thinking of future generations of people, let alone the ongoing torture of the meat we eat
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 01:081 edit
    Sure! I eat what I like.
    You said, in terms of how the food you eat is processed, "common sense means not at the expense of torturing animals." Are there any foods you don't eat because you don't like the way they are produced?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 01:16
    even species on the brink of destruction?

I know "god" said that the Earth is for us to enjoy and to have dominion over the life on the planet.

But I still think this is wrongly interpreted . We should be custodians of the planet, thinking of future generations of people, let alone the ongoing torture of the meat we eat
    You're a city dweller aren't you?

Of course having "dominion" means being a wise "steward" of the earth and all there is in it!

I don't eat food on the brink of extinction. That's crazy! And I don't know anyone who does. Jesus man! Why do people go there?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree