1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 May '18 06:37
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Not necessarily. I think there is (obviously) more to teaching than just knowledge of subject matter. Is being able to handle a class of 30-35 second-graders easier than handling a class of 30-35 teenagers? I wouldn’t know but I’d rather try the latter than the former.
    It must be easier to manage a group of 30-35 mental health professionals by the looks of things. 😵
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 06:39
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    It must be easier to manage a group of 30-35 mental health professionals by the looks of things. 😵
    Especially when the 30-35 mental health professionals are on vacation in Bermuda 11 months a year.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 06:46
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    Amazing, just amazing that the people who are responsible for educating the next generation of our country are totally crapped upon by our society. Teaching is a calling and great teachers are incredible people. Imagine spending over 4 years in college and ending up drawing food stamps. Any wonder why America is behind many "lesser countries" ?
    I am seeing cracks developing in the "War on Education" here in this country. At last a ray of hope.
    Who’s crapping on teachers?

But let’s be honest. Not all teachers are incredible people. Some are average, some are terrible, some are great.

As for teacher salaries, I don’t know what they are where you live, but where I live, they’re pretty good. And teachers, unlike cops who make a very low salary as rookies, teachers don’t put their lives in danger every day.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 May '18 11:22
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Sounds like a perfect description of the charter school system.

The last thing we needed in America was unregulated, privatized education. It's why Arizona is ranked 48th in education. The Republicans here went for it whole hog, even closing many public schools in favor of this abomination.
    The education of children is primarily the responsibility of their parents contrary to the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.

Funny thing though how that fifty years ago there was less federal regulation and higher quality education.

Of course you weren't around then so how would you know.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '18 16:50
    Originally posted by @secondson
    The education of children is primarily the responsibility of their parents contrary to the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.

Funny thing though how that fifty years ago there was less federal regulation and higher quality education.

Of course you weren't around then so how would you know.
    They say eighth-grade tests back in the 1890s in America would stump today’s typical high school student and college freshman; that’s how hard they were.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 May '18 23:17
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    They say eighth-grade tests back in the 1890s in America would stump today’s typical high school student and college freshman; that’s how hard they were.
    I learned too that the literacy rate was nearly 100% at the time of the American revolution. I don't think there was a public school system then either.

Looks like we're trending downward in spite of the rhetoric from the teachers unions.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    10 May '18 23:26
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If you envisage teachers going on strike "for students", describe what exactly it would be for - and how it would work - to your way of thinking.
    I don't "envisage" teachers going on strike for students for any reason. But I do see them going on strike for themselves.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 May '18 23:36
    I don't "envisage" teachers going on strike for students for any reason. But I do see them going on strike for themselves.
    If it's for better pay and conditions, do you have a moral objection to it?
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:18
    Do you see teachers strikes as a moral issue?

In my opinion education should be in the private sector and run like a business. Pay should be based on performance like it is in the real world.

But what do I know? I went to the school of hard knocks. 😉
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:21
    That’s kind of a meaningless question - in fact, not kind of, it is meaningless - without knowing the current pay and conditions, what kind of pay and conditions the teachers’ union wants, and the wealth of the municipality where the public school system is located.

Come on, Kiddo. Don’t just shoot out your rapid-fire questions. Think before you post.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:22
    Do you see teachers strikes as a moral issue?
    Yes, I think teachers taking industrial action can be seen as a moral issue and it is often framed that way by those they are in dispute with. Do you see it that way?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:24
    Yes, I think teachers taking industrial action can be seen as a moral issue and it is often framed that way by those they are in dispute with. Do you see it that way?
    That’s kind of a meaningless question - in fact, not kind of, it is meaningless - without knowing the current pay and conditions, what kind of pay and conditions the teachers’ union wants, and the wealth of the municipality where the public school system is located.

Come on, Kiddo. Don’t just shoot out your rapid-fire questions. Think before you post.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:25
    In my opinion education should be in the private sector and run like a business. Pay should be based on performance like it is in the real world.
    How should education be paid for and provided to the poor?
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:42
    I don't see it as a moral issue.

I think it is "framed" that way to make it an emotional issue. Appeal to the emotions for a subjective response to gain attention instead of objectively like a business solution.

Fire the bums.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '18 00:551 edit
    FMF: Yes, I think teachers taking industrial action can be seen as a moral issue and it is often framed that way by those they are in dispute with. Do you see it that way?

I think it is "framed" that way to make it an emotional issue. Appeal to the emotions for a subjective response to gain attention instead of objectively like a business solution.
    I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick. Employers often frame industrial action as a moral issue too ~ as in 'it is morally questionable for people with jobs like teachers to go on strike'.

When I said teachers taking industrial action is often framed as a moral issue by those they are in dispute with, what that meant is that their employers try to frame what the teachers are doing ~ withholding their labour ~ as being morally unsound.

Private sector employers also often seek to frame industrial action as being morally questionable: if it happens in the private sector, do you see employers framing strikes as being morally unsound as being an "appeal to the emotions for a subjective response to gain attention"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree