1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 02:29
    As a conservative I normally vote for Republicans over Democrats because of the liberal leanings of most Democrates. However, I did vote for conservative Democrat John Barrow and there are many videos of his recent talks before congress and in the news media that show his non-partisan attitude and willingness to compromise to get things done that have been uploaded to YouTube. Here is a link to a series of such videos.

YouTube&list=UUNxy5-lyOVOQJpRboTXtHkA

The Instructor
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 08:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    As a conservative I normally vote for Republicans over Democrats because of the liberal leanings of most Democrates. However, I did vote for conservative Democrat John Barrow and there are many videos of his recent talks before congress and in the news media that show his non-partisan attitude and willingness to compromise to get things done that have been ...[text shortened]... s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibLn8X0TC7s&list=UUNxy5-lyOVOQJpRboTXtHkA

The Instructor
    how is this related to spirituality spanklberger?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 09:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hey. Something we actually agree on, whoda thunk it.

Religion and politics should be (and are supposed to be required to be in the USA) kept separate...

However as hinds demonstrates, this hardly ever happens.

Which is one of the many reasons why it's relevant to atheists like me what you theists believe.
    Your beliefs alter who you vote for and why which very much effects us.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 11:25
    Originally posted by googlefudge

Religion and politics should be (and are supposed to be required to be in the USA) kept separate...

Which is one of the many reasons why it's relevant to atheists like me what you theists believe.
    "Your beliefs alter who you vote for and why which very much effects us."

And yours don't?

Personally, my beliefs render all human efforts to rule human destiny futile.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 11:281 edit
    "Spanklberger?"

Is that from your grade school days? You love calling people names don't you? Gives you a sense of superiority.
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 15:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Your beliefs alter who you vote for and why which very much effects us."

And yours don't?

Personally, my beliefs render all human efforts to rule human destiny futile.[/b]
    Here we get to something that might be relevant to the forum.

My lack of belief in a God affects my actions in the same way that your lack of belief in paganism, Islam, Sikhism, Gnomes, Unicorns, etc etc etc affects yours. What behaviour does your lack of belief in sikhism influence in you?

This is a conversation that I was involved in a few months ago with someone (I forget who) and they were unable to show anything that I do that was affected by my atheism.

--- Penguin.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin

My lack of belief in a God affects my actions in the same way that your lack of belief in paganism, Islam, Sikhism, Gnomes, Unicorns, etc etc etc affects yours. What behaviour does your lack of belief in sikhism influence in you?

This is a conversation that I was involved in a few months ago ...[text shortened]... and they were unable to show anything that I do that was affected by my atheism.

--- Penguin.
    you'll pay for that Wile E Coyote!
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 16:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Spanklberger?"

Is that from your grade school days? You love calling people names don't you? Gives you a sense of superiority.[/b]
    grade school, never heard of it, must be a colonial thing and yes Baldric my useless peasant, l like to make up names, after all, Joe is hardly imaginative is it.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 16:09
    Originally posted by googlefudge

ewe agree that creationism and evolution are mutually exclusive and we now agree that religion and politics should also be mutually exclusive.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 16:111 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin

This is a conversation that I was involved in a few months ago ...[text shortened]... and they were unable to show anything that I do that was affected by my atheism.

--- Penguin.
    Hmmm....

I agree that your actions are probably not effected by your atheism as atheism is a
    result not a starting point...

However I think that that is, in this context, the wrong question.

The fact that I am not a Christian, and don't follow Christian 'morality' will likely mean
    I will vote differently than someone who IS a Christian and who does follow Christian
    'morality'.

Now my choices are being driven by something other than atheism, (humanism for
    example) but the fact that they are not being driven by Christianity and belief in a god
    is relevant to a Christian where it means I make different choices than they do.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 17:33
    ewe agree that creationism and evolution are mutually exclusive and we now agree that religion and politics should also be mutually exclusive.
    It is a common mistake to assume young-earth creationism is the only Christian creation myth. The Roman Catholic church with more adherents than any other Christian faith, has made room for biological evolution within creation.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    It is a common mistake to assume young-earth creationism is the only Christian creation myth. The Roman Catholic church with more adherents than any other Christian faith, has made room for biological evolution within creation.
    yes I understand that, but the Catholic churches acceptance of biological evolution has no bearing on whether creationism or evolution are mutually exclusive or otherwise. They certainly have no scriptural basis for their stance.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 20:44
    Originally posted by JS357
    The Roman Catholic Church seems to be wishy washy on the evolution issue. The following is what I found on the evolution topic and the Catholic Church:

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul.

The Church has infallibly determined that the universe is of finite age—that it has not existed from all eternity—but it has not infallibly defined whether the world was created only a few thousand years ago or whether it was created several billion years ago.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-evolution

They don't seem to be willing to take a stand like we Young Earth Creation Christians do. This church reminds me of the message given to the church in Laodicea.

“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

(Revelation 3:15-18 NKJV)

The Instructor
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 23:59
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Roman Catholic Church seems to be wishy washy on the evolution issue. The following is what I found on the evolution topic and the Catholic Church:

[b]Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they d ...[text shortened]... nd chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

(Revelation 3:15-18 NKJV)

The Instructor[/b]
    Good. Your citations from www.catholic.com seem to sum up the RCC position in the same way I did, so at least people following this topic see that there is not a conflict here.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '13 02:472 edits
    I've asked the question on another thread, if the majority of Americans call themselves Christian but continue to vote for candidates that endorse such things as abortion, then are Christians the most tolerant religious group on the planet or do they disagree with most church teachings that it is murder?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree