Taking back the rainbow

Taking back the rainbow

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
25 Jul 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
The rainbow is not a symbol of judgement, it's a sign of God's mercy. But I do agree that the effort to reclaim it as a symbol is a bit silly.
Why does anyone have to reclaim something that they never stopped claiming?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Jul 17

Originally posted by @leunammi
I think this is silly, ...

God owns the rainbow, always has always will, it is his promise.
Now that's silly!

Moves
25 Jul 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
Why does anyone have to reclaimsomething that they never stopped claiming?
Exactly.

Moves
25 Jul 17
1 edit

Shall we reclaim the crucifix from Abraham Van Helsing and Buffy the vampire slayer?

Edit: acknowledging that the crucifix is not a biblical symbol.

l

Moves
25 Jul 17

Your comment is interesting. Do you have a reference regarding the rainbow being a symbol of "judgement"?

I found this [http://tinyurl.com/d3y2ws8]:

[b]The rainbow is an important symbol in the Bible, representing a promise of peace from God to Noah, and some Christian groups have used that symbol in their iconography. The German anti-Lutheran leader Thom ...[text shortened]... re would have been in an article like that if it were an ironic or contentious use of a symbol).
What I mean is that the rainbow came about after judgement and is a promise not to flood the earth again. I phrased my statement wrong, but I think you understand.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Jul 17
4 edits

So where to begin to take back the rainbow ?

it is first mentioned (there are a number of rainbow mentions in the Bible), when God makes a covenant that He will not totally destroy all life on earth again with the judgment of a flood.

" And I establish My covenant with you, that never again will all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.

And God said, This is the sign of the covenant which I am making between Me and you and every living animal that is with you, for perpetual generations:

I set My bow in the clouds over the earth. etc. etc" (Genesis 9:11-13)

I'm sorry. I am too anxious to go on the the rainbow in Ezekiel and in Revelation which are built upon the first mention in Genesis.

Pray for this thread brothers and sisters in Christ.

And just for those who hate that I follow other gifted and healthy teachers of the Bible, everything practically I learned about the rainbow in the Bible I learned from Witness Lee's and his co-workers' study of Genesis, Ezekiel, and Revelation.

F

Moves
25 Jul 17

What I mean is that the rainbow came about after judgement and is a promise not to flood the earth again. I phrased my statement wrong, but I think you understand.
Huh? I don't think it was "phrased wrong" at all, I think it was just plain "wrong". You said, "I find it very ironic that a group would claim a symbol as their own which is representative of judgement for the very activity they are proclaiming it for." So you were saying that the rainbow is a symbol of the judgement of homosexuality. How is that merely a 'wrong phrasing' of "a promise not to flood the earth again". That you got it wrong is, of course, no big deal [I got the detail about the rainbow in Islam wrong, and just acknowledged it without pretending that I had 'phrased' what I wrote incorrectly]. What is interesting is your casual dishonesty on such a trivial point.

F

Moves
25 Jul 17

Originally posted by @sonship
it is first mentioned (there are a number of rainbow mentions in the Bible), when God makes a covenant that He will not totally destroy all life on earth again with the judgment of a flood.
Will your god figure let any practising homosexuals be "saved" or does the rainbow mean they will be destroyed (albeit not by water)?

Moves
25 Jul 17

Huh? I don't think it was "phrased wrong" at all, I think it was just plain "wrong". You said, "I find it very ironic that a group would claim a symbol as their own which is representative of judgement for the very activity they are proclaiming it for." So you were saying that the rainbow is a symbol of the judgement of homosexuality. How is that merely a 'wro ...[text shortened]... hat I wrote incorrectly]. What is interesting is your casual dishonesty on such a trivial point.
Casual dishonesty™

😛

l

Moves
25 Jul 17

Huh? I don't think it was "phrased wrong" at all, I think it was just plain "wrong". You said, "I find it very ironic that a group would claim a symbol as their own which is representative of judgement for the very activity they are proclaiming it for." So you were saying that the rainbow is a symbol of the judgement of homosexuality. How is that merely a 'wro ...[text shortened]... hat I wrote incorrectly]. What is interesting is your casual dishonesty on such a trivial point.
Whatever FMF, I think I clarified my point and have nothing else to add, The rainbow comment is just an observation.

At the end of the day, God's promise is being proclaimed by an unlikely group of people as a promise that the earth will not again experience a global flood. That's all.

F

Moves
25 Jul 17

At the end of the day, God's promise is being proclaimed by an unlikely group of people as a promise that the earth will not again experience a global flood. That's all.
You seriously think the only symbolism of the rainbow is the one you happen to subscribe to? You think gay people use the rainbow symbol to proclaim "the earth will not again experience a global flood"?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Jul 17

Psst, a rainbow is a 'meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky.'

l

Moves
25 Jul 17

You seriously think the only symbolism of the rainbow is the one you happen to subscribe to? You think gay people use the rainbow symbol to proclaim "the earth will not again experience a global flood"?
You seriously think the only symbolism of the rainbow is the one you happen to subscribe to?

I do not, I believe that the promise of God with regards to the rainbow has far deeper meaning that we are able to currently understand. Where do you get that I think the only symbolism of the rainbow is the one I subscribe to? I never said any such thing. Casual dishonesty™!

You think gay people use the rainbow symbol to proclaim "the earth will not again experience a global flood"?

I do not, in fact I think your statement does not even appear on the radar of this community of people. If it did, they might not choose to use it. Who knows? But then again, I don't think the gay community really cares about the origin of the rainbow from the biblical point of view. Just my opinion, subject to change.

l

Moves
25 Jul 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Psst, a rainbow is a 'meteorological phenomenon that is caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light appearing in the sky.'
Psst, thank you I already know that.

F

Moves
25 Jul 17

Where do you get that I think the only symbolism of the rainbow is the one I subscribe to?
You don't even seem to realize that gay people see a different symbolism the rainbow. You claimed "God's promise is being proclaimed by an unlikely group of people as a promise that the earth will not again experience a global flood". Not it is not. It is not being proclaimed by them. It is not the only thing that rainbows symbolize.