1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:241 edit
    @fmf said
    If Jesus stated this, in this context, and it was recorded and included in scripture, why isn't it a new, additional Commandment?
    Why do you think it isn't? It was to that guy!
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:25
    @kellyjay said
    If you loved them, you'd take care of them, Jesus' example of the Samaritan illustrates this. Taking care of some people is not always removing them from what their lifestyles and choices have done to them. You cannot for example keep removing bad consequences for someone who has turned their lives over to drugs or some other vice, if you did you would destroy them. If you can help someone out of love you should.
    Why isn't "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" not a Commandment? Your answer sounds like a platitude from retail politics in the U.S. I'd find an answer on a more 'spiritual' plane more interesting. Is not the idea that "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" at the very core of Christianity?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:26
    @kellyjay said
    Why do you think it isn't? It was to that guy!
    Don't answer my question with a question. Just answer the question. I am answering yours.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:36
    @kellyjay said
    You cannot for example keep removing bad consequences for someone who has turned their lives over to drugs or some other vice, if you did you would destroy them. If you can help someone out of love you should.
    OK, so you think the notions of 'the undeserving poor' or people being 'beyond help' are important in your worldview. That's for you, but I don't want this to be a political discussion. You say "If you can help someone out of love you should", so why isn't it in The Commandments?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:391 edit
    @fmf said
    Why isn't "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" not a Commandment? Your answer sounds like a platitude from retail politics in the U.S. I'd find an answer on a more 'spiritual' plane more interesting. Is not the idea that "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" at the very core of Christianity?
    You want to take it on as life commandment go for it. Christianity has built schools, universities, hospitals, orphanages, sets up temporary shelters, food drives, there are Christian organizations attempting to fee women and children from sex trafficking, and so on. That isn’t taking care of the poor and needy?

Poverty is more complex, it must be dealt with by everyone involved, if it isn't a joint effort by the poor and those trying to help, no one can make another less poor than they are. Some are poor by circumstance which they can have no control over, but things can change again, others by choice which will not change until they start making efforts.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:40
    @fmf said
    Don't answer my question with a question. Just answer the question. I am answering yours.
    Answer me how you like I'll do the same with you.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:40
    @fmf said
    I told you why without a question, you read responses to you?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:44
    @kellyjay said
    It was to that guy!
    Mark 10:17-23 was "to that guy"? Nothing for Christians generally? It was "to that guy" who died 2,000 years ago?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:47
    @kellyjay said
    You want to take it on as life commandment go for it. Christianity has built schools, universities, hospitals, orphanages, sets up temporary shelters, food drives, there are Christian organizations attempting to fee women and children from sex trafficking, and so on. That isn’t taking care of the poor and needy?

Poverty is more complex, it must be dealt with by everyone i ...[text shortened]... but things can change again, others by choice which will not change until they start making efforts.
    I am not interested in your take on retail politics. I am interested in this question for you: Is not the idea that "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" at the very core of Christianity? If it is, why is not afforded a Commandment of its own?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:49
    @kellyjay said
    Poverty is more complex, it must be dealt with by everyone involved, if it isn't a joint effort by the poor and those trying to help, no one can make another less poor than they are.
    You say "...it must be dealt with by everyone involved". More's the reason for "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" to be a Christian imperative, for all Christians. Don't you agree?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:50
    @kellyjay said
    Why isn't it an imperative for ALL Christians?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:55
    @fmf said
    Mark 10:17-23 was "to that guy"? Nothing for Christians generally? It was "to that guy" who died 2,000 years ago?
    He asked Jesus, and He answered him. You can make of it what you will, I get something out of it even though it wasn't said to me. The things in this life should not be the goals as in acquiring more and more. So order you life in such away that you can do what you can with what you have. There are many people who say they would be generous if they had more, but that isn't the lesson in what you are quoting in Mark. If all we have belongs to God including ourselves, because we are following Jesus we need to be free from our possessions, to always be able to give what we have now to meet needs, not waiting until we have more where we think then we can be more generous.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 11:57
    @fmf said
    Why isn't it an imperative for ALL Christians?
    It isn't a group think society, people are at various levels of dedication, some are more driven than others. Their history maybe something they have to work though, who knows. I'm called to follow Christ, not do it because of what others are doing or not doing, but because He calls and He is worthy.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 12:00
    @kellyjay said
    It isn't a group think society, people are at various levels of dedication, some are more driven than others. Their history maybe something they have to work though, who knows. I'm called to follow Christ, not do it because of what others are doing or not doing, but because He calls and He is worthy.
    I don't think being "driven" by "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" creates a "group think society". Are not Christians "driven" by Commandments. Why would "You shall be charitable and fight poverty" cause there to be a "group think society"?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Feb '19 12:01
    @kellyjay said
    He asked Jesus, and He answered him. You can make of it what you will, I get something out of it even though it wasn't said to me. The things in this life should not be the goals as in acquiring more and more. So order you life in such away that you can do what you can with what you have. There are many people who say they would be generous if they had more, but that isn't t ...[text shortened]... have now to meet needs, not waiting until we have more where we think then we can be more generous.
    How has Mark 10:17-23 impacted your life? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree