31 May '16 22:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '16 22:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It is a holiday for Americans to remember OUR country's war dead, not yours, like it or not. Feel free to begin a movement to get YOUR country to create a holiday to honor YOUR war dead. In the meantime, leave Americans to grieve and honor our war dead as we see fit.
    Perhaps you should take it to an American web site then. This is an international site. You should not be surprised that some people - non-Americans - will be, at the very least, circumspect - or even a bit forthright, as I am - about what can sometimes seem like a sentimental, self-congratulatory or jingoistic - or even self-deceiving - attitude to your own country's military adventures and diametrically opposite attitudes to the deaths of innocent citizens of other countries at the hands of yours. I suggest you take it to a more appropriate place. There may be victims - both direct or indirect - of American militarism who are members of this site.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '16 23:06
    Another disgusting example of your endless quest to denigrate and deride other posters, especially Americans.
    I'd be raising exactly the same objection if this thread had been started by a Russian and was asking the community to thank and remember the people who died while serving in their country's (and or the Soviet Union's) armed forces since 1945.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 06:44
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No that doesn't help.

That entire sentence would have to be stricken.
    As you wish. In an alternate universe, where politicians don't have their usual motives, offensive military invasions could have been motivated by a quest to "defend freedom," but in practice it hasn't been.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 23:06
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Im not referring to soldiers doing their duty and following the orders of their superiors by going to war and thereby benefiting their countrymen... not that.

When they are out fighting many soliders dont know, neither care what the reason is why they are there. Their aim is to survive. Some think of personal survival and some of group survival. Some are ...[text shortened]... hristians believe.

.. he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. (Romans 13:8 KJV)
    Okay. My mistake.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '16 23:234 edits
    If what you and Rajk push here reflected Jesus' commandment to show love for your brothers in Christ, then you might have a point, but it doesn't and you don't.
    C'mon Suzianne, this not only doesn't make any logical sense, but shows your hypocrisy given your long, irrational, untruthful and ongoing smear campaign against rajk999.

My point stands regardless of your irrational feelings about rajk999 and me.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 01:283 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It was the last time the United States was attacked by a foreign army so also the last time one could conceivably state any kind of "freedom" was defended through military operations. Of course, many war crimes and atrocities were committed by both major alliances in WW2, so perhaps a less unquestioningly positive approach to military operations might b ...[text shortened]... Christians in particular, who often claim killing to be wrong, seem to glorify warfare so often.
    It was the last time the United States was attacked by a foreign army so also the last time one could conceivably state any kind of "freedom" was defended through military operations.

One might think that, but lookup "Operation Enduring Freedom" for one.

I find it odd that American Christians in particular, who often claim killing to be wrong, seem to glorify warfare so often.

They also call Jesus "Lord", but often have views that are contrary to what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth - such as the verses I cited from Matthew 5 vs. views espoused on the OP and elsewhere on this thread for example.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 11:48
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Giving their lives for others is a demonstration of the fulfilling of the law. Yet acording to you these people will be condemned if they never 'knew' Christ.
    Incorrect; Jesus said "unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins"
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 11:501 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you should take it to an American web site then. This is an international site. You should not be surprised that some people - non-Americans - will be, at the very least, circumspect - or even a bit forthright, as I am - about what can sometimes seem like a sentimental, self-congratulatory or jingoistic - or even self-deceiving - attitude to your own cou ...[text shortened]... may be victims - both direct or indirect - of American militarism who are members of this site.
    One problem with America and Americans is that they think they and their country is the center of the metaphorical universe.

For example, they have a "World Series" in Baseball and yet are the only country in it!
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 12:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you should take it to an American web site then. This is an international site. You should not be surprised that some people - non-Americans - will be, at the very least, circumspect - or even a bit forthright, as I am - about what can sometimes seem like a sentimental, self-congratulatory or jingoistic - or even self-deceiving - attitude to your own cou ...[text shortened]... may be victims - both direct or indirect - of American militarism who are members of this site.
    I suggest you take your hatred of America and Americans to a more appropriate place. There may be victims - both direct and indirect - of your anti-Americanism who are members of this site.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 12:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    One problem with America and Americans is that they think they and their country is the center of the metaphorical universe.

For example, they have a "World Series" in Baseball and yet are the only country in it!
    Merely adding in the magical word "metaphorical" to that insulting lie makes it okay??
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 12:12
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    C'mon Suzianne, this not only doesn't make any logical sense, but shows your hypocrisy given your long, irrational, untruthful and ongoing smear campaign against rajk999.

My point stands regardless of your irrational feelings about rajk999 and me.
    I feel more than justified in standing up to Rajk's hypocrisy.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 12:13
    I suggest you take your hatred of America and Americans to a more appropriate place. There may be victims - both direct and indirect - of your anti-Americanism who are members of this site.
    My objection is a principled one, and one that I have explained carefully and in measured tones. You are simply trying to deflect (and denounce) by seeking to dismiss my argument by attributing it to a "hatred of America and Americans" that I just do not feel. It's a highly personalized and untrue accusation. You are stooping here, Suzianne, and you are doing so because you disagree with me and yet don't have a reasonable counterargument..
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 12:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd be raising exactly the same objection if this thread had been started by a Russian and was asking the community to thank and remember the people who died while serving in their country's (and or the Soviet Union's) armed forces since 1945.
    That's as may be. My comment stands.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 12:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    My objection is a principled one, and one that I have explained carefully and in measured tones. You are simply trying to deflect (and denounce) by seeking to dismiss my argument by attributing it to a "hatred of America and Americans" that I just do not feel. It's a highly personalized and untrue accusation. You are stooping here, Suzianne, and you are doing so because you disagree with me and yet don't have a reasonable counterargument..
    My counterargument is obviously that America is not the moral cesspool that you portray it to be, your "principles" notwithstanding.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree