Thank You

Thank You

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Merely adding in the magical word "metaphorical" to that insulting lie makes it okay??
I rather think that the word "metaphorical" in the expression "centre of the metaphorical universe" reminds us that he doesn't actually think the world is the universe.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16

My counterargument is obviously that America is not the moral cesspool that you portray it to be, your "principles" notwithstanding.
This simply does not address the specific argument I have raised in opposition to a thread like this with its highly partisan commemoration of war on a Spirituality Forum on an international web site.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
I rather think that the word "metaphorical" in the expression "centre of the metaphorical universe" reminds us that he doesn't actually think the world is the universe.
So it's a deflection, then. That was my point. It doesn't make the insulting lie any easier to swallow, no matter what you want to call it.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16
1 edit

That's as may be. My comment stands.
So you would - or you wouldn't - object to a thread started by a Russian that asked the community to thank and remember the people who died while serving the Soviet Union's and Russian armed forces since WW2? Which? I certainly would.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16

So it's a deflection, then. That was my point. It doesn't make the insulting lie any easier to swallow, no matter what you want to call it.
You believe divegeester uttered an "insulting lie"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
This simply does not address the specific argument I have raised in opposition to a thread like this with its highly partisan commemoration of war on a Spirituality Forum on an international web site.
In case you missed what I wrote (or completely skipped over it in your zeal to land your "blow" ), it is a commemoration of those who died to secure our freedoms, and the freedoms of others, including your beloved UK, despite your partisan implications. Nothing about it "commemorates" war. You're misrepresenting Americans, as usual.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16
1 edit

In case you missed what I wrote (or completely skipped over it in your zeal to land your "blow" ), it is a commemoration of those who died to secure our freedoms, despite your partisan implications. Nothing about it "commemorates" war. You're misrepresenting Americans, as usual.
This isn't an American web site populated solely by Americans. There could be victims of post WW2 American militarism or their relatives reading these threads. The thread belongs on a message board on a web site with a different demographic and purpose.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
You believe divegeester uttered an "insulting lie"?
Obviously.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16

...it is a commemoration of those who died to secure our freedoms, and the freedoms of others, including your beloved UK, despite your partisan implications.
I am not partisan. I would object to a UK citizen seeking to use this forum to commemorate only UK war dead. This is an international site with people from all over the world.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16

Obviously.
Is it more "insulting" or less "insulting" than your recent unfounded claim about my supposed "hatred of America and Americans"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
This isn't an American web site populated solely by Americans. There could be victims of post WW2 American militarism or their relatives reading these threads. The thread belongs on a message board on a web site with a different demographic and purpose.
No, it doesn't. There may be unfortunate "victims" of wars America has participated in, but I'd lay odds that there are far more who owe their very existence to the lives Americans gave in their sacrifice to secure liberty for those who were oppressed.

You don't have to thank them. Just don't dare to insult them for their efforts.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Is it more "insulting" or less "insulting" than your recent unfounded claim about my supposed "hatred of America and Americans"?
Clearly, you think Americans are some scourge on mankind. You don't even think we have the right to honor our dead.

That doesn't exactly translate to "love". I wouldn't call my claim exactly "unfounded", either.

F

Moves
02 Jun 16
1 edit

Clearly, you think Americans are some scourge on mankind. You don't even think we have the right to honor our dead.
I most certainly do think that American have the right to honour their dead. You are making stuff up, Suzianne.

I think Americans are "some scourge on mankind"? You've just made this up too.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
I am not partisan. I would object to a UK citizen seeking to use this forum to commemorate only UK war dead. This is an international site with people from all over the world.
So what? It's an American holiday, and the post was clearly written for Americans, and yet you took the time to deride it. Don't try to fool me. If you'd jump on this well-meaning post, you'd really jump on a post written by an American celebrating the dead of other countries we've fought in past wars. Your "protests" (if you can call just bitching about Americans a protest) are hollow. In fact, I have never seen ANY posts, by you or anyone else, honoring their own countries' war dead. Clearly, it's not as important for you. But still you have to piss on our parade. Simply because we're Americans. And tell me, what is that called?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
I most certainly do think that American have the right to honour their dead. You are making stuff up, Suzianne.

I think Americans are "some scourge on mankind"? You've just made this up too.
I see no other reason to give grief to Americans simply for participating in our own holiday.