06 Jul '17 17:08
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire
    Any worldview is a person's religion.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 17:30
    It used to be that collectivists made us think that they were a god, but when that fell out of favor, then they made us think that they spoke for God, but when that fell out of favor, they said that there is no God, as they filled the void of God and savoir to mankind once again.

Yes, it was these same voices that put Christ on a cross.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 18:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Any worldview is a person's religion.
    Every dictionary I can find seems to disagree with you.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 18:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Every dictionary I can find seems to disagree with you.
    Of course not, you want to believe I am wrong. Look for a definition that has to do with personal belief or conscience since these are based on one's worldview.

All beliefs are based on unprovable assumptions.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 18:44
    Of course not, you want to believe I am wrong. Look for a definition that has to do with personal belief or conscience since these are based on one's worldview.

All beliefs are based on unprovable assumptions.
    My belief, that you don't know what you're talking about, is very much a provable assumption.
  7. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 19:32
    Millions of young Americans are following a new, anti-religion. It has one Commandment: "Please thyself." It has no beliefs, because it is based on rejection of others' beliefs. Without beliefs, the brain contains a vacuum, which is filled by social and political opportunists who know an easy mark when they see one.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 20:013 edits
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    Millions of young Americans are following a new, anti-religion. It has one Commandment: "Please thyself." It has no beliefs, because it is based on rejection of others' beliefs. Without beliefs, the brain contains a vacuum, which is filled by social and political opportunists who know an easy mark when they see one.
    Of course they still have beliefs. Many of them have traditional religious beliefs.

What religions do you think don't have beliefs that are self-serving?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 22:15
    Originally posted by John Osmar
    The vacuum is filled with other religious beliefs that people claim are not religious.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jul '17 23:04
    Don't get excited - I was just challenging your definition of religion.
    Why do you think it not in dictionaries?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 00:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Don't get excited - I was just challenging your definition of religion.
    Why do you think it not in dictionaries?
    As I pointed out, it is in the dictionary. I found it in dictionary.com

I didn't bother looking at other sites.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 02:27
    The inventor of the world's first religion was Cain (Genesis 4:1-9)
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 10:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    It used to be that collectivists made us think that they were a god, but when that fell out of favor, then they made us think that they spoke for God, but when that fell out of favor, they said that there is no God, as they filled the void of God and savoir to mankind once again.

Yes, it was these same voices that put Christ on a cross.
    You DO know that Christianity and Libertarianism aren't the best roommates, yes?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 10:52
    Originally posted by sonship
    The inventor of the world's first religion was Cain [b](Genesis 4:1-9)[/b]
    Hebrews 11:4 says that "By faith Abel offered up a more excellent sacrifice than Cain". So presumably, Cain's offering was not made "by faith". Some Bible commentary says that Cain's offering was the effort of "dead religion", but I'm not sure what this means.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 10:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You DO know that Christianity and Libertarianism aren't the best roommates, yes?
    What would be the problem with someone being a politically Libertarian Christian who, say, did good works, helped the poor, and generally followed Jesus' commandments?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree