1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 17:48
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Yes, archaeological fact. The Vedas tell of the great city of Krishna existing some 9000 years ago along a river in India. Rising sea levels engulfed the city and the people moved north according to the Vedas. This was believed to be a myth until a series of buildings were found under sea along an ancient riverbed. The numerous structures stretch 6km (that ...[text shortened]... dated over 8500 years old. There is archaeological evidence of the movement of the people north.
    Our views of facts must differ, mine are that if its a fact nothing could enter the picture and
    change how we view it. A fact doesn't change with additional information, it would simply
    be validated, and dating methods as near as I can tell have never fallen in to that category
    when we start speaking about the distant past.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 18:08
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Our views of facts must differ, mine are that if its a fact nothing could enter the picture and
    change how we view it. A fact doesn't change with additional information, it would simply
    be validated, and dating methods as near as I can tell have never fallen in to that category
    when we start speaking about the distant past.
    "A fact doesn't change with additional information..."

Indeed, though additional information may reveal that what you thought to be a fact was not so factual after all.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 18:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    "A fact doesn't change with additional information..."

Indeed, though additional information may reveal that what you thought to be a fact was not so factual after all.
    In which case additional information showed the error of calling something a fact that
    wasn't really one. So I agree with you completely here!
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 19:32
    In which case additional information showed the error of calling something a fact that
    wasn't really one. So I agree with you completely here!
    Please make a habit of it.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 19:43
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Please make a habit of it.
    🙂 I'm working on it, but sometimes you do say things that .... well I'm not supposed to use
    that type of language. LOL
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 21:261 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    I think I meant "religion" in a negative sense, an attempt to reach unto God not according to revelation. Cain initiated that matter.

God had revealed to Adam and Eve a way that He could be approached, I believe. It is not explicitly told us in the Bible. I think Adam and Eve approached God through the sacrifice of an animal with blood.

Abel received ...[text shortened]... .

1.) Cain invented the first religion of man.
    2.) Cain invented the first "dead" religion.
    Thanks for your insight. 🙂

Even though I do not agree that all of what falls under the umbrella term of "religion" is all bad. Christianity is a religion. It's the details of a religion, its underlying philosophy, that makes or breaks it.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 22:43
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You base your belief on what you believe is probable not what is a proven fact. Is this what you are saying?
    You asked of my beliefs and I answered.
    You then asked what I based that on and I answered.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '17 22:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You asked of my beliefs and I answered.
    You then asked what I based that on and I answered.
    So you have no problem accepting beliefs that you can't ever demonstrate are true or untrue. You simply have faith.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 01:44
    So you have no problem accepting beliefs that you can't ever demonstrate are true or untrue. You simply have faith.
    No and no.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 02:01
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    No and no.
    Yes and yes. You believe that the world was not created by a magical teapot without knowing for a fact it wasn't. You simply believe it to be improbable.

Your belief without knowing is faith.
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 05:42
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire
    The beginning of religion was when the first person said "I have no idea what there is beyond myself. There surely must be something greater than myself."
    Sounds like Agnosticism was the first (if you can call it a religion).
    Not satisfied with not knowing man began inventing all sorts of belief systems and killing those who disagreed.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 11:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Even though I do not agree that all of what falls under the umbrella term of "religion" is all bad.

James uses the term positively. There is only one place in his epistle that I can think of where the translation "religion" is given a positive connotation. Since there is this one occurrence I would not feel comfortable dismissing the word completely.

I think you get in English piety as a synonym somewhere in the Gospels.

Christianity is a religion. It's the details of a religion, its underlying philosophy, that makes or breaks it.

With any "Christianity" the living Christ has to be the details. He has to be.
    Am I right ? If Christ is not lived out and daily and step by step you have a something only of natural and human creation.

Is this too harsh ?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 12:44
    Originally posted by sonship
    Even though I do not agree that all of what falls under the umbrella term of "religion" is all bad.

[b]James
    uses the term positively. There is only one place in his epistle that I can think of where the translation "religion" is given a positive connotation. Since there is this one occurrence I would not feel comfortable dismissing ...[text shortened]... step by step you have a something only of natural and human creation.

Is this too harsh ?[/b]
    I think Jesus is all that matters, we can live according to rules, we can put all of our human
    effort into doing right it will not matter. Scripture teaches us even if we even have faith to
    move mountains and have not love it is nothing. God is love, Jesus is the Word of God
    that became flesh, He enters His own, He gives Himself, HIs Spirit and walks out our lives
    with us. He is the BEST part of life, the very best part, He promises to never leave us or
    forsake us, He is our sure foundation. This isn't a religion where we just look at the letters
    in a book, but actually have the Spirit of God in us, making those letters so real to us.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 12:55
    I think Jesus is all that matters, we can live according to rules, we can put all of our human
    effort into doing right it will not matter. Scripture teaches us even if we even have faith to
    move mountains and have not love it is nothing. God is love, Jesus is the Word of God
    that became flesh, He enters His own, He gives Himself, HIs Spirit and walks out ...[text shortened]... tters
    in a book, but actually have the Spirit of God in us, making those letters so real to us.
    If Jesus is all that matters then all who call Jesus lord would enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus would not have warned us to judge hearts by fruit if what we do is unimportant.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jul '17 13:50
    If Jesus is all that matters then all who call Jesus lord would enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus would not have warned us to judge hearts by fruit if what we do is unimportant.
    Jesus is all that matters, no one is to righteous enough without Him. Very true that there are going to be those who claim His name and die in there sins, He will say depart from me I never knew you. Again making Jesus all that matters for without His blood we are in our sins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree