"The Bible" is an idol used to control people.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
09 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
True followers of Christ do not do that. Only those claiming to be Christians, such as the JWs, do that.
Oh?, what about the many fundamentalists here who argue incessantly by simply quoting Bible verses solely, as if that settles it.?

T

Moves
09 Sep 12

Originally posted by Taoman
Oh?, what about the many fundamentalists here who argue incessantly by simply quoting Bible verses solely, as if that settles it.?
And that is a manifestation of idolatry !!!

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
09 Sep 12
1 edit

My source was not from an apologist's website it was form wikipedia and I posted the link to the article. You atheists use wikipedia a lot when it suits your purpose. Here is the link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Iconoclasm

🙄
wikipedia is not the source, it's an encyclopedia accurately reporting the iconodule source. you need to understand that wikipedia is only an introduction to a topic and its usefulness ends there.

you still haven't learned anything about the history of the byzantine iconoclasm and the struggle that went on in christendom. do you see near the end of the article where it says "sources?" and "further reading?"

get busy.

T

Moves
09 Sep 12
1 edit

Iconoclasm can be a very powerful and positive force. It REALLY changes things.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Sep 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
wikipedia is not the source, it's an encyclopedia accurately reporting the iconodule source. you need to understand that wikipedia is only an introduction to a topic and its usefulness ends there.

you still haven't learned anything about the history of the byzantine iconoclasm and the struggle that went on in christendom. do you see near the end of the article where it says "sources?" and "further reading?"

get busy.
No thank you. I have read enough and it hasn't changed my opinion. 😏

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
10 Sep 12

No thank you. I have read enough and it hasn't changed my opinion. 🙄
you haven't presented a valid opinion. you responded in ignorance to the topic and you have stated your desire to remain ignorant.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Sep 12

The collection of historical writings of the Middle East over some thousands of years, known as "the Bible" has been turned into an idol.
What is an idol? Something physical made to be the equivalent of a god, that has powers of that god and is worshipped just like the god. It is unquestionable like the god. Anyone dealing with that physical object poorly, ...[text shortened]... f context and saying its "God's Word", so bow down and obey the idol folks - or else!
The Bible is not an idol to me at all. I don't worship it in anyway. But this is God's words to us and it is him alone we are to worship...

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Sep 12

Originally posted by galveston75
The Bible is not an idol to me at all. I don't worship it in anyway. But this is God's words to us and it is him alone we are to worship...
You believe what the Watchtower says over what the Holy Bible says in my humble opinion.

T

Moves
10 Sep 12

Originally posted by galveston75
I know most Christians do not actually "worship" the Bible. (Btw I have apologised for using an "is" in this post, rather than "can be". I was too definite in the heading. I do not wish to cause offence but reflection.

It is the equating of human words, sacred and revered and guiding as they may be, with the direct "word of god" , that can be a form of idolatry and a spiritual obstacle, as I have stated.

Your "this is God's words to us", to me would be best approached in the following manner,

"Through this book, which I hold special and contains the collected stories of our faith and history, I receive guidance and inspiration. I may question some of its parts from a human perspective and from history and still hold it in high and central esteem and be guided by it."

The sacred book is not the "direct words out of the mouth of God". That is a form of idolatry and can close off other ways of spiritual inspiration and ways of seeing. It can also be used to manipulate you by not allowing you to question and explore except where some other human person gives you approval to do so.

Thank you galveston.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
11 Sep 12

That is a form of idolatry and can close off other ways of spiritual inspiration and ways of seeing.
Sticking with what you know is true, to the exclusion of any and all other things which stand in contradiction to it, is wisdom. Not "idolatry."

T

Moves
11 Sep 12

Originally posted by sumydid
Sticking with what you know is true, to the exclusion of any and all other things which stand in contradiction to it, is wisdom. Not "idolatry."
I am not calling conviction of belief idolatry at all, or reverance for the Christian Bible, or the Torah, or The Koran. They are to be respected and never defouled.

Directly equating a collection of Near Eastern literature as the infallible and actual "Word of God" is idolatry. The Most High is NEVER boxed in a book, any book!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Sep 12

I am not calling conviction of belief idolatry at all, or reverance for the Christian Bible, or the Torah, or The Koran. They are to be respected and never defouled.

Directly equating a collection of Near Eastern literature as the infallible and actual "Word of God" is idolatry. The Most High is NEVER boxed in a book, any book!
No one is claiming that the Holy Bible is the same Word that is spoken of in John 1:1 and was made flesh and dwelled among mankind. As I have already explained, the Holy Bible contains wriiten instructions by holy men that were inspired of God. This is why many people refer to it as the word of God. We Christians do not think of the Holy Bible as being God or anything that should be worshipped like God.

T

Moves
11 Sep 12

No one is claiming that the Holy Bible is the same Word that is spoken of in John 1:1 and was made flesh and dwelled among mankind. As I have already explained, the Holy Bible contains wriiten instructions by holy men that were inspired of God. This is why many people refer to it as the word of God. We Christians do not think of the Holy Bible as being God or anything that should be worshipped like God.
I will be repeating what I have said earlier, so I will let it rest.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Sep 12
1 edit

I know most Christians do not actually "worship" the Bible. (Btw I have apologised for using an "is" in this post, rather than "can be". I was too definite in the heading. I do not wish to cause offence but reflection.

It is the equating of human words, sacred and revered and guiding as they may be, with the direct "word of god" , that can be a form of ido ere some other human person gives you approval to do so.

Thank you galveston.
It's only idolatry if God does not exist. Ergo....

I'm sure you can finish the sentence.

I did not say you could finish the sentence correctly.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
11 Sep 12

you cannot use a blanket statement like "we christians" to describe the standard of not worshiping the bible. first, you're not a christian, but even if you were, there certainly exist christian groups who do idolize particular translations (kjv for instance) of the bible.