1. Wat?
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 14:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    An icon, I believe, is a visual object used as a symbol to represent a person, place, thing, or idea. Icons ae not something to be worshipped. Icons are used to remnd us of smething else.

The bread and wine are special knds of icons used in "the Lord's supper" to remind us of the body and blood of Christ that He sacrificed for us so tha we may accept H ...[text shortened]... rosoft Windows to represent actions on a computer. None of these are meant to be worshipped.
    None of these are meant to be worshipped.

The bread and wine are special knds of icons used in "the Lord's supper" to remind us of the body and blood of Christ that He sacrificed for us so tha we may accept His gift of salvation of our own bodies and eternal life that He shall give us at His return.

--------

I'm slightly confused. Are you saying you don't worship salvation and eternal life then?

-m. 🙄
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 14:56
    Originally posted by Taoman
    The collection of historical writings of the Middle East over some thousands of years, known as "the Bible" has been turned into an idol.
    What is an idol? Something physical made to be the equivalent of a god, that has powers of that god and is worshipped just like the god. It is unquestionable like the god. Anyone dealing with that physical object poorly, ...[text shortened]... f context and saying its "God's Word", so bow down and obey the idol folks - or else!
    NICE TRY!

is this where you got this from? it's not about the holy bible quite the opposite in fact the bible is not to do with money

YouTube
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 15:17
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I'm slightly confused. Are you saying you don't worship salvation and eternal life then?

-m. 🙄
    Well... duh.

If this is really what you think, then yeah, you're confused. Get educated, man.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 17:09
    An icon, I believe, is a visual object used as a symbol to represent a person, place, thing, or idea. Icons ae not something meant to be worshipped. Icons are used to remnd us of smething else.

The bread and wine are special knds of icons used in "the Lord's supper" to remind us of the body and blood of Christ that He sacrificed for us so tha we may ac ...[text shortened]... rosoft Windows to represent actions on a computer. None of these are meant to be worshipped.
    an idol is an icon.

icons are never worshiped, what is worshiped are what is represented by the icons, though the icons are venerated and respected.

biblegod demands that no idols be used to represent him in any way. that would include pictures, crucifixes, etc. etc, what normally is defined as icons.

look up byzantine iconoclasm for the problem that plagued the christian church in the past and still does in some respect to this day.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 19:30
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    an idol is an icon.

icons are never worshiped, what is worshiped are what is represented by the icons, though the icons are venerated and respected.

biblegod demands that no idols be used to represent him in any way. that would include pictures, crucifixes, etc. etc, what normally is defined as icons.

look up byzantine iconoclasm for the problem that plagued the christian church in the past and still does in some respect to this day.
    Do you worship any idols or icons?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 19:481 edit
    an idol is an icon.

The iconodule response to iconoclasm included:

1. Assertion that the biblical commandment forbidding images of God had been superseded by the incarnation of Jesus, who, being the second person of the Trinity, is God incarnate in visible matter. Therefore, they were not depicting the invisible God, but God as He appeared in the flesh. They were able to adduce the issue of the incarnation in their favour, whereas the iconoclasts had used the issue of the incarnation against them. They also pointed to other Old testament evidence: God instructed Moses to make two golden statues of cherubim on the lid of the Ark of the Covenant according to Exodus 25:18–22, and God also told Moses to embroider the curtain which separated the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle tent with cherubim Exodus 26:31.
    2. Further, in their view idols depicted persons without substance or reality while icons depicted real persons. Essentially the argument was "all religious images not of our faith are idols; all images of our faith are icons to be venerated." This was considered comparable to the Old Testament practice of only offering burnt sacrifices to God, and not to any other gods.
    3. Regarding the written tradition opposing the making and veneration of images, they asserted that icons were part of unrecorded oral tradition (parádosis, sanctioned in Orthodoxy as authoritative in doctrine by reference to Basil the Great, etc.), and pointed to patristic writings approving of icons, such as those of Asterius of Amasia, who was quoted twice in the record of the Second Council of Nicaea. What would have been useful evidence from modern art history as to the use of images in Early Christian art was unavailable to iconodules at the time.
    4. Much was made of acheiropoieta, icons believed to be of divine origin, and miracles associated with icons. Both Christ and the Theotokos were believed in strong traditions to have sat on different occasions for their portraits to be painted.
    5. Iconodules further argued that decisions such as whether icons ought to be venerated were properly made by the church assembled in council, not imposed on the church by an emperor. Thus the argument also involved the issue of the proper relationship between church and state. Related to this was the observation that it was foolish to deny to God the same honor that was freely given to the human emperor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Iconoclasm

So we see that images made to represent false gods is what the Old Testament is really forbidding.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 20:312 edits
    "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me;..."
    (John 16:7-9 NASB)

12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth;..."
    (John 16:12-13 NASB)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 23:36
    The iconodule response to iconoclasm included:

1. [b]Assertion that the biblical commandment forbidding images of God had been superseded by the incarnation of Jesus, who, being the second person of the Trinity, is God incarnate in visible matter. Therefore, they were not depicting the invisible God, but God as He appeared in the flesh.
    They were abl ...[text shortened]... e Old Testament is really forbidding.[/b]

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy![/b]
    no, you don't see at all, but that's not the issue. the problem i highlighted is in reference to struggles within christendom and which still continues in some respect to this day.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 23:37
    Do you worship any idols or icons?
    go back and read the second sentence in the post to which you are responding.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 00:191 edit
    no, you don't see at all, but that's not the issue. the problem i highlighted is in reference to struggles within christendom and which still continues in some respect to this day.
    The problem is lack of understanding, like in your case. There is no problem in making icons which are not idols, as I pointed out by highlighting the information you requested me to look up.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 00:331 edit
    go back and read the second sentence in the post to which you are responding.
    You said, "An idol is an icon." But as I pointed out in the reference that you told me to look up, an icon is not an idol. See the bold typed information.

"icons are never worshiped" you say. So I suppose this means you do not worship any idol, too. But don't confuse pictures, crucifixes, crosses, and other icons as idols. Idols refers to images used in the worship of false gods. Icons in religion are used to remind blievers on matters of the True God.
  12. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 00:38
    Originally posted by tim88
    NICE TRY!

is this where you got this from? it's not about the holy bible quite the opposite in fact the bible is not to do with money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IvB8TvOIns
    Not sure where you are coming from on that link, its quite long, so sorry didn't plough through it.

Michael Jackson/Illluminati/Bible verses?

If you cannot say the Bible has very human aspects, bound to history and be able to rationally criticize them you are treating the Bible as an idol, rather than a source for your faith. There is a difference. It is not the equivalent to God, or the infallible word of God, it is a collection of historical documents.

The first part the Old Testament collected over many hundreds of years tells the story of the rise of Israel, portraying a primitive God who acts just like a king of the time, just more powerful, and using the same tactics of wiping out people who were against his team. Quite a slaughterer, really.

Now that's ok, every religion has its early bits. Can't you simply regard those segments as very human in origin, telling the early history of the rise of Israel from where Jesus came forth, see it as and reflective of an earlier ancient era and feel free to say so? Just promote the fine passages of the rest of the Bible and say that you are inspired and guided by them by them and Jesus of Nazareth and his message.

You are free to believe all that and are still free as an individual and still be a fine follower of your Christ.

But equating every verse and chapter with God as his direct "Word" is idolatry of a book and you are unable to sincerely question parts of it for fear of offending someone, or believing wrongly you are "losing your faith" or "failing God" or some other heavy guilt-ridden indoctrination. Its ok to offer literary criticism of any book including the collection of ancient Near Eastern literature you revere and use as your source of your faith. Just don't make it an superstitious idol, where to utter any of its words is the equivalent of God speaking. It's not.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 00:45
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Not sure where you are coming from on that link, its quite long, so sorry didn't plough through it.

Michael Jackson/Illluminati/Bible verses?

If you cannot say the Bible has very human aspects, bound to history and be able to rationally criticize them you are treating the Bible as an idol, rather than a source for your faith. There is a difference. It ...[text shortened]... us idol, where to utter any of its words is the equivalent of God speaking. It's not.
    True followers of Christ do not do that. Only those claiming to be Christians, such as the JWs, do that.
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 02:101 edit
    You said, "An idol is an icon." But as I pointed out in the reference that you told me to look up, an icon is not an idol. See the bold typed information.
    the iconodule source is apologetic, it's also wrong. you'll need to do more research. i told you to look up the history of the byzantine iconoclast movement, not a two-bit apology of why someone thinks they were wrong.

"icons are never worshiped" you say. So I suppose this means you do not worship any idol, too. But don't confuse pictures, crucifixes, crosses, and other icons as idols. Idols refers to images used in the worship of false gods. Icons in religion are used to remind blievers on matters of the True God.

all idols are icons, all icons aren't idols. however, you should realize that biblegod doesn't just condemn idols, he condemns all icons that are used to venerate anything in heaven or anywhere else. pictures (of god), crucifixes, crosses... these are all icons.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Sep '12 04:462 edits
    the iconodule source is apologetic, it's also wrong. you'll need to do more research. i told you to look up the history of the byzantine iconoclast movement, not a two-bit apology of why someone thinks they were wrong.

[quote]"icons are never worshiped" you say. So I suppose this means you do not worship any idol, too. But don't confuse pictures, c heaven or anywhere else. pictures (of god), crucifixes, crosses... these are all icons.
    My source was not from an apologist's website it was form wikipedia and I posted the link to the article. You atheists use wikipedia a lot when it suits your purpose. Here is the link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Iconoclasm

😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree