1. R.I.P.
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 18:01
    Originally posted by Phledos
    My dad shown me the bible when I was young. He reasoned on every single scripture and shown me all the prophecies (past & present). At the start they all seemed unreal. Of course I asked him loads of questions. He gave me an answer to EVERY SINGLE one and proved from the bible, and from life, that God is the Creator and he deserves our praise.

I know ther ...[text shortened]... rtainly makes you smile and really gives you a reason for living.

What do you guys think?????
    You were only a kid, it is only natural that you believe everything you dad told you. I hoodwink my kids all the time, santa, the tooth fairy etc... Perhaps it is time that you re-evaluated his answers.

For example how did your father explain that jesus walked on water ?
  2. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 19:49
    Originally posted by Jay Peatea
    What's the problem with that? If you believe Jesus can ressurect people (Lazarus), cure the sick, blind, and crippled, turn water in wine, and most importantly ressurect Himself, walking on water does not seem that spectacular.
    Belief does not need explaination, in fact, it works better without one. The more you try to mix rational with "mystical" thinking the less succesful you are going to be. It is like trying to mix water and oil.
    Second of all religion is a conscious choice, and though Phledos may have been introduced to Christianity while he was a kid, he retained his conviction afterwards by the virtue of his own free will.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 19:50
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Perhaps he likes people being stoned or sliced to death? You don't know.

P-
    But I'd like to find out. Imagine the free entertain--..erm...interesting and thought-provoking discussion if, say, he admitted liking the story of Lot's daughters.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 19:59
    You were only a kid, it is only natural that you believe everything you dad told you. I hoodwink my kids all the time, santa, the tooth fairy etc... Perhaps it is time that you re-evaluated his answers.

buoyant feet?
  5. R.I.P.
    Moves
    07 Jul '05 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by ilywrin
    What's the problem with that? If you believe Jesus can ressurect people (Lazarus), cure the sick, blind, and crippled, turn water in wine, and most importantly ressurect Himself, walking on water does not seem that spectacular.
    ...[text shortened]... ned his conviction afterwards by the virtue of his own free will.
    Indeed I could have picked any of them.

You say religion is a conscious choice, I agree & disagree. One could take the selection of sports team for example, How many adults still blindly support the same sports team, (even if they are rubbish) as the one that their father introduced them too?. The influences that we receive as children tend to stay with us for the rest of our life, unless we make a conscious decision to examine them.

For many years people believed that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth. These were widely believed views in the middle ages and it is only via questioning such beliefs that we today know them to be false and incorrect.

In this case Phledos said that his father explained & convinced him of the bibles truth. I want to examine the root cause of his belief. I want to see how much of it is based on the "mystical" teachings in the bible, rather than the "rational" teachings.

In a way the bible is like that mixture of water & oil. One that is being continuously bradished & shaken, so that it appears to be one liquid. It is only when we put it down, and observe it objectively that we see, the two different liquids.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 04:48
    My dad shown me the bible when I was young. He reasoned on every single scripture and shown me all the prophecies (past & present). At the start they all seemed unreal. Of course I asked him loads of questions. He gave me an answer to EVERY SINGLE one and proved from the bible, and from life, that God is the Creator and he deserves our praise.

I know ther ...[text shortened]... rtainly makes you smile and really gives you a reason for living.

What do you guys think?????
    (my dad) proved from the bible, and from life, that God is the Creator and he deserves our praise.

i have a hard time believing this. what 'proof' does the bible (and life) provide?

Whether or not it is true, it certainly makes you smile and really gives you a reason for living.

exactly (except that the reason for living is only perceived). thank you for that honesty. this is IMO the major appeal of faith-based religions -- it couples as a crutch. however, you cannot have it both ways: you seem to be conceding that your beliefs may or may not be true, but simultaneously claiming that they are 'very true' and that the bible 'proves' a whole bunch of stuff.

personally i think the bible doesn't prove a thing. but as you say, it helps people get through the day and pass the time. so too do stephen king thrillers, mystery novels, science fiction magazines, and crossword puzzles.

7. Joined
    04 Jul '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 14:53
    Hi, Im back.

Wow, ive never used one of these forums before, but its a good way of getting to talk.

Anyway, I am a Christian.

Are any of u guys religious. Of course some arnt and I totally respect that. As Valdorien said we all get our own free will.

I love action films by the way. There good fun.

I have a question. You were guessing I am a Christian (which u were right) but what do you mean by saying this: (Phlabibit)
    'That might be a good guess, but I would figure a Christian to use the term Jesus rather than God.... '

If you are talking about the Trinity then I dont believe it. It states very clealry in the bible at (1 Corinthians 8:6) that there is one God and One Christ. Others scriptures back this up.

To Jay Peatea: That thought has crossed my mind many many times: How do I know that what my Dad has told me is true? I decided to find out for myself. I studied on my own and looked at eveidence from history and bible to support what I had already been taught. It fitted very well.
    He walked on water as he had the power of God. (Mathew 17:14) 'With faith you can move mountains', surely Jesus being the son of God could Walk on water with this power.

ps. Sorry if this is a bit long.
    Hi LemonJello, I will try to answer your question underneath.

8. Joined
    04 Jul '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 15:03
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b](my dad) proved from the bible, and from life, that God is the Creator and he deserves our praise.

i have a hard time believing this. what 'proof' does the bible (and life) provide?

Whether or not it is true, it certainly makes you smile and really gives you a reason for living.

exactly (except that the reason for living is only ...[text shortened]... king thrillers, mystery novels, science fiction magazines, and crossword puzzles.

[/b]
    Im sure that you would agree that the most logical reason why humans live on earth is because someone put us here. Think about it.

Evolution is litteraly impossible.
    Big bangs do not cause brilliantly designed planets and living patterns.
    Creation seems most logical as we have complex life systems why would require very clever beings to create.

Of course if you belive this then it makes understanding the bible a lot easier. The bible tells us that God created us, and is a book that is widely read and has been done so for thousands of years. As its so popular, it seems that their must be something in its teachings.

Of course I believe the bible and you have your own opinion which I fully 100% respect.

However I do agree that a good book, science fiction film and a crossword puzzle are great ways of getting you throught the day too.

Nice talking to you. 🙂
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 15:47
    Im sure that you would agree that the most logical reason why humans live on earth is because someone put us here. Think about it.
    Don't be so sure... glad you are enjoying the forums anyway.

P-
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 16:021 edit

What's the reason we were put here?

Can you prove it? So far, I find your reasons unconvincing.

Of course if you belive this then it makes understanding the bible a lot easier.

By believing before you read, you forfeit your objectivity. You will not be capable of seeing flaws and weaknesses in the book.

As its so popular, it seems that their must be something in its teachings.

Except there are other ancient religions that remain quite popular, and yet contradict christianity.

It's like saying that Britney Spears must be a great musician because she's popular.

11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 16:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 16:07
    Indeed I could have picked any of them.
    You say religion is a conscious choice, I agree & disagree. One could take the selection of sports team for example, How many adults still blindly support the same sports team, (even if they are rubbish) as the one that their father introduced them too?. The influences that we receive as children tend to stay with us for the rest of our life, unless we make a conscious decision to examine them.

I agree wholeheartedly; but while our past may predispose us to a certain type of views, behaviour, beliefs, it does not determine them completely. I for one thing was brought up a Christian (an Orthodox to be precise) but my believes have changed over the time. I still have great appreciation and respect for Christianity, however.

For many years people believed that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth. These were widely believed views in the middle ages and it is only via questioning such beliefs that we today know them to be false and incorrect.

They did not believe. They knew so. I do not know how familiar you are with the history of astronomical findings but Ptolemy's "Almagest" is a brilliant piece of scientific methods that applied logically lead to absolutely wrong from contemporary standpoint conclusions. But they were /and "are" if you can abstract yourself from what you know to be true/ so compelling and gave so perfect explaination that there was little doubt about it being right.

In this case Phledos said that his father explained & convinced him of the bibles truth. I want to examine the root cause of his belief. I want to see how much of it is based on the "mystical" teachings in the bible, rather than the "rational" teachings.

I think you misunderstand my view. It is not Bible that gives "mystical" teachings, it is the mind of the believer that thinks in "mystical" way. To doubt is the way of the rational thinker. To accept is the way of the believer.

13. Joined
    30 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 16:111 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    What's the reason we were put here?

I think it is obvious:
    To spam these forums with meaningless debates 🙄
    EDIT: spelling 🙁
  14. Joined
    26 Jun '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 16:53
    i think there's countless reasons on earth... but no one really nos 4 sure. but it's nice 2 just b here sometimes
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '05 17:27

Big bangs do not cause brilliantly designed planets and living patterns.
    Creation seems most logical as we have complex life systems why would require very clever beings to create.

Of co ...[text shortened]... crossword puzzle are great ways of getting you throught the day too.

Nice talking to you. 🙂

i have thought a lot about it, and i do not agree. creationism does not seem logical at all.

Evolution is litteraly impossible. Big bangs do not cause brilliantly designed planets and living patterns.

evolution is possible. big bangs plus evolution can possibly lead to intricate planets and living patterns.

creationism is not logical because it is faith-based and appeals to the supernatural. creationism is untenable for the same reason. this doesn't mean creationism is without doubt wrong; but it cannot be rationally defended.

Of course if you belive this then it makes understanding the bible a lot easier. The bible tells us that God created us, and is a book that is widely read and has been done so for thousands of years. As its so popular, it seems that their must be something in its teachings.

yes the bible says a lot of things. i personally think the widespread popularity of the bible demonstrates nothing. not all that long ago, nearly everyone also believed the earth was flat like a pancake -- this tasty assertion appealed to even the 'refined' palate. even widespread popular beliefs need to be challenged and thoughtfully analyzed.

Nice talking to you. 🙂

likewise. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree