1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Joined
    29 Sep '03
    Moves
    25914
    19 Apr '08 23:111 edit
    The bible was written by man, man can be influenced by the devil.
    How do we know that the word of bible is pure?
  2. weedhopper
    Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    8075
    20 Apr '08 00:15
    Because God promised to protect His word.
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Joined
    29 Sep '03
    Moves
    25914
    20 Apr '08 06:04
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Because God promised to protect His word.
    And who wrote that?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148578
    20 Apr '08 13:52
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    And who wrote that?
    That is the point, you either accept God is true and watches over His
    Word or you don't. Which again is still is God true. God does watch
    over His Word He does not watch over ours or the devils to preform
    those, if you see a lie so be it, note it and move on.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Joined
    29 Sep '03
    Moves
    25914
    20 Apr '08 13:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    That is the point, you either accept God is true and watches over His
    Word or you don't. Which again is still is God true. God does watch
    over His Word He does not watch over ours or the devils to preform
    those, if you see a lie so be it, note it and move on.
    Kelly
    That made very little sense to my KellyJay.
    Are you saying that everyword in the bible is God's word
    and true? Or are you saying that there are some lies
    in the bible that have been influenced by man and/or the devil?

    Please clarify.
  6. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Joined
    29 Sep '03
    Moves
    25914
    21 Apr '08 06:50
    Also, can somebody please help me understand the paradox of the bible
    in that we are told in the bible that what is written is true but how do we
    know that this in itself is a truth?
  7. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    21 Apr '08 10:26
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    The bible was written by man, man can be influenced by the devil.
    How do we know that the word of bible is pure?
    The current English translations are not pure and provably so. I can produce a translation with clear definite indisputable lies.
  8. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    11845
    21 Apr '08 13:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The current English translations are not pure and provably so. I can produce a translation with clear definite indisputable lies.
    How would you prove that they aren't lies?
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    21 Apr '08 13:161 edit
    Originally posted by brobluto
    How would you prove that they aren't lies?
    Maybe I should have said indisputably lies?
  10. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    21 Apr '08 14:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I can produce a translation with clear definite indisputable lies.[/b]
    your going to write the bible??? what post will u use
  11. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Joined
    29 Sep '03
    Moves
    25914
    22 Apr '08 06:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Maybe I should have said indisputably lies?
    It's amazing that the bible is at the core to Christian religion but
    not a single person is able to explain to me how its word can be
    trusted.

    The bible says that it is a reflection of the word of God but how
    do we know this statement to be true when it was written by man?
  12. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    22 Apr '08 06:47
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    It's amazing that the bible is at the core to Christian religion but
    not a single person is able to explain to me how its word can be
    trusted.
    They may not have done so, but I am sure they can. The answer is faith. Some Christians are skeptical about it to varying degrees but to be a Christian one must at least have some faith that at least certain parts are either factual or spiritually meaningful. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian believes in the resurrection being factual for example.

    The bible says that it is a reflection of the word of God but how
    do we know this statement to be true when it was written by man?

    The Bible cannot possibly say that. The Bible did not exist at the time it was written. It says 'scripture' is the word of God. It is up to the reader to decide what 'scripture' is. The writer probably meant the Jewish scriptures (and I doubt that even those are a fixed set) and almost certainly would not have included letters by the saints etc.
    But nobody is stupid enough (I hope) to base their belief in the Bible being the word of God on that one verse. They believe it first then use that verse to justify their belief.
  13. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Joined
    29 Sep '03
    Moves
    25914
    22 Apr '08 06:581 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    They may not have done so, but I am sure they can. The answer is faith. Some Christians are skeptical about it to varying degrees but to be a Christian one must at least have some faith that at least certain parts are either factual or spiritually meaningful. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian believes in the resurrection being factual for example. of God on that one verse. They believe it first then use that verse to justify their belief.
    Thanks Twitehead, that makes some kind of sense in a weird way.

    So it could be said that a new Christian requires 'faith' before he/she
    is indoctrined into Christianity? Otherwise their faith is based on the word
    of scripture and/or the faith of others, which is not true faith.
    How often does this happen I wonder.

    What is that emotion called when somebody has faith without knowledge
    of religion?
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    22 Apr '08 08:101 edit
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Thanks Twitehead, that makes some kind of sense in a weird way.

    So it could be said that a new Christian requires 'faith' before he/she
    is indoctrined into Christianity? Otherwise their faith is based on the word
    of scripture and/or the faith of others, which is not true faith.
    How often does this happen I wonder.

    What is that emotion called when somebody has faith without knowledge
    of religion?
    A significant proportion of Christians - or infact members of any religion - are the children of parents who are members of that religion. They start by believing what their parents tell them which in the case of Christians often includes the claim that the Bible is to be trusted at least in part. Only as the child grows older does he/she begin to question such things.
    I think that for those who become Christian later in life (as well as when children grow up and start to question their parents) there is always far more important reasons for their belief than claims made by the Bible.
    I can list a few, but they are hardly exhaustive:
    1. Emotional experiences - especially when praying either alone or in groups. These experiences must not be underestimated and have a profound impact on a lot of people.
    2. Desire to find meaning in life.
    3. Pascals wager or doomsday paranoia as I like to call it. The mistaken belief that if something might be true and the consequences of not believing it or preparing for it are extreme even if the chance of it being true is minuscule then the best bet is to bet on it being true. It is enhanced by the (again mistaken) belief that the consequences of believing it even when it is not true are insignificant.

    What is that emotion called when somebody has faith without knowledge of religion?
    The vast majority of theists have a remarkable lack of theological knowledge. In fact I often find that although they claim to believe a vast array of things that is stated in their religion or by their church leaders, they are actually agnostic on a lot of issues - even seemingly very important ones.
    Also there is remarkable ignorance about the origin of the Bible and events surrounding it. You would probably be shocked to find out how many people believe that the Bible was written by King James himself and all other copies are 'fakes'.
  15. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Joined
    08 Mar '04
    Moves
    615623
    22 Apr '08 08:17
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    The bible was written by man, man can be influenced by the devil.
    How do we know that the word of bible is pure?
    It is pure all right, pure fantasy.
    The book of Exodus has no archaelogical evidence. The pyramids were completed centuries before the Hebrews even arrived.
    It contains many mistranslations, some deliberate.
    Oh yes, Jonah really lived in the belly of a whale for several days.
    And that Job fairy tale is a hoot.
Back to Top