1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 17:562 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    He doesn't know the NT. He knows the JW version of the NT, with all its "adding unto" and "taking away" warned about in Revelation 22.
    yeah right, you are still stuck to a translation of a translation, translated in the middle ages from a handful of Greek manuscripts, here is news for you missy, the New world translation is the most accurate English translation on the planet, primarily because we have stuck to the Greek text, independently verified.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    i'm trying to find the relevance of your question. the bible doesn't say jesus was crucified, it says jesus was staked. the stake could be an 'X' , it could be a 'T' ,it could be a 'I' beam or a tree, even a wall.

so what is the relevance of asking the meaning of a latin and/or english word that does not appear in the bible?
    Indeed it does, the correct term is impaled, another point we agree upon, at this rate we could be friends.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:31
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    i'm trying to find the relevance of your question. the bible doesn't say jesus was crucified, it says jesus was staked. the stake could be an 'X' , it could be a 'T' ,it could be a 'I' beam or a tree, even a wall.

so what is the relevance of asking the meaning of a latin and/or english word that does not appear in the bible?
    Nice.

Atheists now use the JW arguments. Not sure if that says more about the atheists or more about JWs.

You want relevance?

In twhitehead's post, he also tried to use the JW arguments. The problem is that he also used the word 'crucify' or its forms at least as often as he used the Greek words.

He used the word Crucify, I use it, you use it, even robbie uses it when he tries to explain that "IT WAS A STAKE, MORON". That is the relevance. The conversation we're having unavoidably uses the word. I'm merely pointing out that you cannot have a "crucifixion" without a "crux".

BTW, those who use the argument that "X" is "not in the Bible", are usually those whose Lord is the Bible. Not a usual argument from an atheist. I also did not know you were an expert in Greek, to the point of knowing exactly what Greek words are in the original text. I don't often give advice to atheists, but I think an exception could be made here: JW arguments are not usually the best arguments. You'd do better to find another resource for your "facts".
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:32
    Nice.

Atheists now use the JW arguments. Not sure if that says more about the atheists or more about JWs.

You want relevance?

In twhitehead's post, he also tried to use the JW arguments. The problem is that he also used the word 'crucify' or its forms at least as often as he used the Greek words.

He used the word Crucify, I use it, you use it, ...[text shortened]... e best arguments. You'd do better to find another resource for your "facts".
    EPIC FAIL!
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yeah right, you are still stuck to a translation of a translation, translated in the middle ages from a handful of Greek manuscripts, here is news for you missy, the New world translation is the most accurate English translation on the planet, primarily because we have stuck to the Greek text, independently verified.
    Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, right up to the moment when your Maker wants you to explain what your religion doesn't understand about Revelation 22.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:38
    EPIC FAIL!
    It's okay, you should have plenty of time between now and then to apologize for getting it wrong. It's still not too late to let go of the arrogance and learn to actually have respect for Christ's commandments.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:41
    Indeed it does, the correct term is impaled, another point we agree upon, at this rate we could be friends.
    So I assume that now you'll stop using the word 'crucifixion' and start using the word 'impalement' whenever you would have before used the word 'crucifixion'?
    I mean, you wouldn't want to be guilty of 'EPIC FAIL', now would you?

Good luck in getting people to understand just what you're going on about.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:46
    It's okay, you should have plenty of time between now and then to apologize for getting it wrong. It's still not too late to let go of the arrogance and learn to actually have respect for Christ's commandments.
    I apologise when i am sorry not when i have the sacred text to back up every saying.
    Its not my fault you are unaware of or ignoring the underlying text and the nuances of
    meaning, is it, why should i apologise for your lack of understanding?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:46
    Sorry, but I have to stop you right here.

Even if Christ was nailed to a stake instead of a cross, he still would have been nailed to it. Or do you really, really think that the Romans actually impaled their victims, like Vlad the Impaler, and then were so stupid that they called it a crucifixion, even though there was (supposedly) no cross involved?

Yeah, go on... "just the facts, ma'am", indeed.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:47
    I apologise when i am sorry not when i have the sacred text to back up every saying.
    Its not my fault you are unaware of or ignoring the underlying text and the nuances of
    meaning, is it, why should i apologise for your lack of understanding?
    No, as I said, the apology should be to your Maker for mangling His text.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:47
    Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, right up to the moment when your Maker wants you to explain what your religion doesn't understand about Revelation 22.
    Inspiring! 😛
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:49
    No, as I said, the apology should be to your Maker for mangling His text.
    mangling his text??? my dear, we have produced the most accurate and sublime
    translation on the planet, why would God be displeased with that, what are you going to
    tell him when he asks why your translators have removed the divine name from their
    translations where it occurs over 7,000 times, in whole or in part? its gonna be roasty
    toasty for you.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 18:522 edits
    Sorry, but I have to stop you right here.

Even if Christ was nailed to a stake instead of a cross, he still would have been nailed to it. Or do you really, really think that the Romans actually impaled their victims, like Vlad the Impaler, and then were so stupid that they called it a crucifixion, even though there was (supposedly) no cross involved?

Yeah, go on... "just the facts, ma'am", indeed.
    the term comes from an accurate rendering of the Greek text, as has been pointed out
    to you, not only from me, but others, sure you can ignore it, flick your petted lip, but it
    wont go away.

here it is again,

Ancient Greek has two verbs for crucify: ana-stauro, from stauros, "stake", and
    apo-tumpanizo "crucify on a plank." [4] together with anaskolopizo ; "impale"
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 19:24
    the term comes from an accurate rendering of the Greek text, as has been pointed out
    to you, not only from me, but others, sure you can ignore it, flick your petted lip, but it
    wont go away.

here it is again,

Ancient Greek has two verbs for crucify: ana-stauro, from stauros, "stake", and
    apo-tumpanizo "crucify on a plank." [4] together with anaskolopizo ; "impale"
    You could print out the entire Greek dictionary in your postings and it would have no relevance without knowing the actual Greek words used in the original manuscripts. I am charging that the JW organization makes their claims and then chooses word forms and meanings thereof to fit their doctrines. There are many translators who disagree with the translators who were hand-picked for their jobs on the NWT by the JW authorities based on their opinions of archaic Greek word forms and other details which "prove" their case.

I'm pretty sure that if I was offered obscene amounts of money, that I could certainly provide a translation that said anything those offering the money wanted it to say. Umm, no, on second thought *I* couldn't. I have respect for Revelation 22. But *they* could.

One wonders why the NWT translators agreed with most other translators on the vast part of the NT except for those parts which highlight the differences in JW doctrine from traditional Christianity. After all, the JW organization used the KJV for years and years and it was certainly good enough then. Yes, I understand you can pull in more people if you offer something "different" than the mainstream, but come on. I mean really. Is it really worth getting the plagues visited upon you or getting written out of the Book of Life?

robbie, you can believe whatever you want. srsly. Whatever it is, is your choice, though.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '12 19:312 edits
    In twhitehead's post, he also tried to use the JW arguments.
    No, I did not. You asked for the meaning of 'crux' so I looked it up on Wikipedia and quoted what I found.

I'm merely pointing out that you cannot have a "crucifixion" without a "crux".
    The same Wikipedia page also says:
    The English term crucifix derives from the Latin crucifixus or cruci fixus, past participle passive of crucifigere or cruci figere, meaning "to crucify" or "to fix to a cross"

So crucifixion does not in fact come from 'crux' at all.

So, you have contradicted both my quotes from Wikipedia. Must we just take your word for it, or do you have any references to back up your claims?

Edit: Wikipedia got it from here:
    http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=crucify

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree