1. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 08:08
    There is evidence to suggest the cross was a lot older than Jesus indeed
    it may be the case that the cross made Jesus.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 09:29
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    It may not be the case. 😏
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 12:33
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    there is also evidence that it wasn't even a cross but a simple stake.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 12:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Not likely. It says cross in the Holy Bible, not stake. That's right, I just remembered the Watchtower changed their indoctrination Bible by replacing "cross" with "stake" so they could be different. They should have changed their indoctrination Bible to read "abstain from blood transfusions" too. 😏
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 15:41
    Except that it's pretty difficult to have a crucifixion without a cross.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 15:55
    It was probalby neither; the Romans used to nail people up frequently so there was probalby scaffold of sorts with victims being nailed to a horozontal bar and hoisted up where their feet were then nailed.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 16:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It was probalby neither; the Romans used to nail people up frequently so there was probalby scaffold of sorts with victims being nailed to a horozontal bar and hoisted up where their feet were then nailed.
    Either way, I seems to me that would make a cross.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 17:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Either way, I seems to me that would make a cross.
    If it is important to you.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 17:271 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    sigh, please go away and learn what the ancients used to crucify people, there was, what is termed the crux simplex , you may find this interesting,

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/crosses/simplex.html
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 17:30
    Not likely. It says cross in the Holy Bible, not stake. That's right, I just remembered the Watchtower changed their indoctrination Bible by replacing "cross" with "stake" so they could be different. They should have changed their indoctrination Bible to read "abstain from blood transfusions" too. 😏
    you don't know anything, your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance, the
    Greek term, please note that the Bible was not written in English, a rather telling fact, is
    stauros and refers to an upright beam, please point out the biblical reference which
    states that it had any kind of crossbeam, thank you.

11. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 17:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Which is why it was probably a stakeifiction, but that doesn't sound as cool.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 23:13
    you don't know anything, your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance, the
    Greek term, please note that the Bible was not written in English, a rather telling fact, is
    stauros and refers to an upright beam, please point out the biblical reference which
    states that it had any kind of crossbeam, thank you.

FROM YOUR LINK:
    The Bible says that Jesus was hung on a tree. Whether it was an actual rooted tree or an upright wooden post set into the ground (see Broken Cross), the common consensus is that a transverse beam (patibulum) was then added. A usual crucifixion method was to bind the condemned person's wrists to a beam and then attach that beam to a tree or stipe, thereby forming a cross (crux composita or crux acuta).

The Greeks apparently used the word 'stauros' to represent a wide range of wooden structures used for executions, but Jehovah's Witnesses and a few others interpret the word to mean Jesus was executed on a post without a patibulum.

I will stay with the common consensus until it is proved otherwise. The Holy Bible records tha Pontius pilate had a sign reading "King of the Jews" nailed on the cross over the head of Jesus. If his hands were also nailed over his head, I doubt that there would be enough room for the sign. Just my opinion. However, the important thing is that Jesus was crucified as an atonement sacrifice for all our sins.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 23:164 edits
    FROM YOUR LINK:
    The Bible says that Jesus was hung on a tree. Whether it was an actual rooted tree or an upright wooden post set into the ground (see Broken Cross), the common consensus is that a transverse beam (patibulum) was then added. A usual crucifixion method was to bind the condemned person's wrists to a beam and then attach that beam to a tree or s he important thing is that Jesus was crucified as an atonement sacrifice for all our sins.
    yes that is correct its merely your opinion and has no Biblical basis and no the Bible
    states that Pilate had a sign nailed to the torture stake, Greek: stauros, an upright pole.

The Crux Simplex or Stipe, being a simple upright post, does not have the transverse
    beam found on other forms. The ancient Greek word for stake is stauros (n) and
    stauroo (v). This simple post was common for crucifixions until the Phoenicians added a
    cross beam.

The Crux Simplex evolved from a tree (an infelix lignum or an arbor infelix)
    dedicated to the gods of the nether world. Such trees are non-fruiting, unproductive,
    valueless, and therefore considered appropriate to use in crucifying criminals.

The cross is a pagan symbol, one of many adopted by apostate Christianity, FACT.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 23:30
    FROM YOUR LINK:
    The Bible says that Jesus was hung on a tree. Whether it was an actual rooted tree or an upright wooden post set into the ground (see Broken Cross), the common consensus is that a transverse beam (patibulum) was then added. A usual crucifixion method was to bind the condemned person's wrists to a beam and then attach that beam to a tree or s ...[text shortened]... he important thing is that Jesus was crucified as an atonement sacrifice for all our sins.
    However, the important thing is that Jesus was crucified as an atonement sacrifice for all our sins.

That seems to be the important thing about the story, but as I have said elsewhere, I was taught that the atonement sacrifice of Christ was for Original Sin only, not for "all our sins." This seems of greater importance than the shape of the wooden object Christ was nailed to. Do you think the free-will sins of everyone are forgiven by this sacrifice, in advance of most people even being born?

Could you and others who profess to know the NT respond on this?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 23:31
    yes that is correct its merely your opinion and has no Biblical basis and no the Bible
    states that Pilate had a sign nailed to the torture stake, Greek: stauros, an upright pole.

The Crux Simplex or Stipe, being a simple upright post, does not have the transverse
    beam found on other forms. The ancient Greek word for stake is stauros (n) and
    ...[text shortened]... g criminals.

The cross is a pagan symbol, one of many adopted by apostate Christianity, FACT.
    I repeat from your link:

The Greeks apparently used the word 'stauros' to represent a wide range of wooden structures used for executions, but Jehovah's Witnesses and a few others interpret the word to mean Jesus was executed on a post without a patibulum.

Your viewpoint is in the minority and there is no proof it is right. Logic and reason indicate it was a cross composed of a post and a patibulum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree