1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 23:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    forbidden, where were they forbidden to write or utter it????

(John 17:25, 26) . . .Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you;
    but I have come to know you, and these have come to know that you sent me forth.
    [b]And I have made your name known to them and will make it known
    , in order
    that the love with which you loved ...[text shortened]... ry
    time.

we have a reference for all but one of the times we have restored the divine name.[/b]
    In short, probably because 'Jehovah' is most likely NOT the 'name of God'.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 23:52
    what about it, there is nothing there i have not read a thousand times before.
    Then why ask me about something you already had knowledge of (supposedly)?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    In short, probably because 'Jehovah' is most likely NOT the 'name of God'.
    whether it is or isn't is irrelevant, Jesus is not the correct pronunciation either yet the
    name is accepted and is in common usage, you dont see nominal christians objecting to
    that, do you. The name Jehovah has come down to us through antiquity, is preserved
    in literally hundreds of places throughout the christian world and you have no way of
    knowing whether its the correct pronunciation or not.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 23:56
    because the scriptures indicate that Jesus not only knew but made known Gods name
    in complete contrast to your assertion that the Jews were forbidden to write or speak it,
    that is why.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 23:57
    supposedly, your cynicism has no place here, christians are supposed to 'believe all
    things', that is, impute pure motives to others.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '12 23:58
    If god wanted people to spell his name right he would have written it on the sky where
    everyone could see it.

If god does exist, the fact that there is no clear indication of what 'his' name is probably
    means it doesn't actually matter...

Unless your supposed to just guess gods name and how to pronounce it using 'faith'...

Kind of like gods existence really...
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:00
    supposedly, your cynicism has no place here, christians are supposed to 'believe all
    things', that is, impute pure motives to others.
    Yet Christians never cease to attribute false reasons for why people don't believe their
    faith (or any faith) rather than take peoples word for why it is they don't believe.

All those claiming that atheists don't believe because they don't like god and don't
    want it to be true for example.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:041 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    If god wanted people to spell his name right he would have written it on the sky where
    everyone could see it.

If god does exist, the fact that there is no clear indication of what 'his' name is probably
    means it doesn't actually matter...

Unless your supposed to just guess gods name and how to pronounce it using 'faith'...

Kind of like gods existence really...
    no his purposes are tied up with the sanctification of that name, to state that it has no
    relevance is to completely misunderstand the entire Biblical narrative.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:05
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yet Christians never cease to attribute false reasons for why people don't believe their
    faith (or any faith) rather than take peoples word for why it is they don't believe.

All those claiming that atheists don't believe because they don't like god and don't
    want it to be true for example.
    the point was that Christians are meant to impute pure motives to each other, whether
    this extends to atheists i dont know, i dont see why not.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:19
    the point was that Christians are meant to impute pure motives to each other, whether
    this extends to atheists i dont know, i dont see why not.
    funny how you speak to me about what constitutes proper Christian behavior when countless times in this very forum you refuse to show love to your Christian brothers (going so far as to cal them 'nominal Christians' and such) which was a direct commandment of Christ. You still haven't explained that one away. It kind of makes me want to ignore you and your opinion when you try to tell others just what sorts of behavior are expected of them.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:23
    because the scriptures indicate that Jesus not only knew but made known Gods name
    in complete contrast to your assertion that the Jews were forbidden to write or speak it,
    that is why.
    perhaps 'forbidden' was a bit strong. It is definitely not a common practice for them to do so.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:27
    funny how you speak to me about what constitutes proper Christian behavior when countless times in this very forum you refuse to show love to your Christian brothers (going so far as to cal them 'nominal Christians' and such) which was a direct commandment of Christ. You still haven't explained that one away. It kind of makes me want to ignore you and your opinion when you try to tell others just what sorts of behavior are expected of them.
    who really are my brothers and sisters, stated the Christ, the ones DOING the will of
    God are. Many times i have asked the question of nominal christians, what is the will of
    God, not once have i received a satisfactory answer, if we do not know what the will of
    God is, how can we possibly be doing it and if we are not doing how can we say we are
    brothers and sisters, for as the Christ himself stated, the ones DOING the will of the
    father are my brothers and sisters. Don't shoot the messenger Suzianne just because
    you dont like the message.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:27
    perhaps 'forbidden' was a bit strong. It is definitely not a common practice for them to do so.
    yes it was, it became a superstition, but there was nothing in scripture which forbade it.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:37
    who really are my brothers and sisters, stated the Christ, the ones DOING the will of
    God are. Many times i have asked the question of nominal christians, what is the will of
    God, not once have i received a satisfactory answer, if we do not know what the will of
    God is, how can we possibly be doing it and if we are not doing how can we say we ...[text shortened]... hers and sisters. Don't shoot the messenger Suzianne just because
    you dont like the message.
    How can you possibly set yourself up to be the ultimate arbiter of exactly WHO is doing the "will of God"?

The answer is: you can't.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '12 00:40
    How can you possibly set yourself up to be the ultimate arbiter of exactly WHO is doing the "will of God"?

The answer is: you can't.
    why would Jesus give the defining criteria if we were not supposed to understand it, the
    Bible is quite clear on what the will of the father is, this means that i have not set
    myself up as the chief arbiter, the Bible itself is the chief arbiter.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree