1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:02
    Originally posted by @secondson
    So you have no 'notions' of there being anything beyond death?

Does that mean you know there's nothing after death?
    I have no reason to believe there is 'everlasting life' or afterlife. I do not subscribe to the ideas of any of the religions that assert that there is.

Speculating about it has no effect on me being alive or how I live my life aside from the fact that I interact with people who do believe in it.

Even if a creator being or entity revealed itself to us, it seems an awfully peculiar leap from that to the idea that our lives are not inescapably finite, a like-it-or-not 'fact of life' for which there are 100 billion or more pieces of evidence [or whatever the estimate is] and not a single jot to the contrary ~ at least to my way of thinking.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:11
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Loosing your cool before the end of the first page ...lol 😀
    Tell your wife to calm you down ...
    Another meaningless misperception.

I'm quite relaxed thank you.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:16
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Who here is afraid of dying and if so why?
    If not, why?
    Walter Payton, the great running back for the Chicago Bears, had an interesting comment about death. I believe Walter was a Christian and, after he became ill, a teammate asked him if he was afraid of dying. Walter said he was because he had never done it before. I think that is true of a lot of things - the fear of the unknown.

Even though hundreds of billions (trillions?) of people have died throughout history, no one knows what will happen because once someone has died, they can’t tell us and once we have died, we can’t tell anyone. I don’t put much stock in people who have had religious experiences in near-death experiences because I wonder how much of that was manufactured in their minds (like hallucinations.) The brain’s incredibly complex and there’s a lot we don’t know about it.

I’ve had/felt/experienced glimpses of God’s love in a spiritual, non-material sense in my life, even before I became a Christian, and think I’ll be all right after I die. I can’t imagine the reality of going through it and would rather be alive on earth still when the Rapture happens.

The thing is, we really have no control over when our number’s up and what happens after it’s up, so why worry about it or fear it? If you’ve put your faith in Christ via John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 and try to live in the Spirit and not the flesh, you’ve done all you can. You just have to trust that God is holy, merciful and just.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:18
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I have no reason to believe there is 'everlasting life' or afterlife. I do not subscribe to the ideas of any of the religions that assert that there is.

Speculating about it has no effect on me being alive or how I live my life aside from the fact that I interact with people who do believe in it.

Even if a creator being or entity revealed itself to us, ...[text shortened]... whatever the estimate is] and not a single jot to the contrary ~ at least to my way of thinking.
    Well, I guess this thread has run its course.

To each his own.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:26
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Well, I guess this thread has run its course.

To each his own.
    On the contrary, I think this thread will have legs. The fact that we all die is something clear-cut that every poster here definitely will experience.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:30
    On the contrary, I think this thread will have legs. The fact that we all die is something clear-cut that every poster here definitely will experience.
    Maybe not. If you’re a Bible-believing Christian and the Rapture comes prior to your death, I think your fate will be like Elijah and Enoch.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:35

Even if a creator being or entity revealed itself to us, ...[text shortened]... whatever the estimate is] and not a single jot to the contrary ~ at least to my way of thinking.
    What a man believes is not going to count in the end.
    Many believe and will say Lord Lord but will be cast out
    Many do the will of God without knowing it
    In the end there will be many surprises.
    Some pleasant and some less so.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:37
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Maybe not. If you’re a Bible-believing Christian and the Rapture comes prior to your death, I think your fate will be like Elijah and Enoch.
    Well then, it's a bit silly - isn't it - to say the thread has run its course in the thread's 19th post.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:40
    What you are saying could well be, then, the 'Atheists Get Out Of Gaol Free' scenario [for me and those like me] that Suzianne hyperventilates disapprovingly about, perhaps! 😀
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:581 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Who here is afraid of dying and if so why?
    If not, why?
    One of the fundamental 'purposes of life', to my way of thinking, is learning and teaching, and therefore transmitting culture - on the broadest scale - and sharing personal narratives - on the most individual and intimate interpersonal scale - are the kind of thing that humans do that basically define us.

I have lived through or witnessed the dying process of quite a lot of people during my lifetime and there has often been a period of adding to or explaining family history or personal experiences or messages and perspectives.

I once interviewed an 'Old Contemptible' for many hours spread over a few meetings and wrote about the things he testified to - some of which were things he'd never been able to bring himself to talk about before that point in his life.

He died a couple of years later. Some of the things he told me found their way into his eulogy because they helped to define who he was..

I think one of the reasons I sometimes fear the premature or unexpected death of someone is that the process of passing on 'knowledge' is invariably left unfinished and this then cannot be rectified, of course.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '18 00:59
    Well then, it's a bit silly - isn't it - to say the thread has run its course in the thread's 19th post.
    I didn’t say that
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '18 01:00
    You’re about as wrong as someone could possibly be and about the most important thing on earth.

But there’s no educating you because your pride is like earmuffs and a blindfold.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '18 01:01
    I didn’t say that
    Oh well then, if all you had to say to me was about how if the supposed "Rapture" comes prior to my death, you think my "fate will be like Elijah and Enoch", then OK, thanks for telling me you think that. This is certainly the right thread for you to post it on.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 May '18 01:142 edits
    You’re about as wrong as someone could possibly be and about the most important thing on earth.

But there’s no educating you because your pride is like earmuffs and a blindfold.
    That is what Jesus said, but I know you church Christians dont believe in what Jesus said.. its all about what the pastor said.. so good luck with that. In many cases the pastor will himself be cast out so be careful. Oh and goats dont educate sheep so stop wasting your time
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '18 02:28
    Oh well then, if all you had to say to me was about how if the supposed "Rapture" comes prior to my death, you think my "fate will be like Elijah and Enoch", then OK, thanks for telling me you think that. This is certainly the right thread for you to post it on.
    You totally misunderstood what I said. You said everyone here will experience death. I pointed out that was not the case if the Rapture comes in our lifetimes. Instead, believers will be taken to heaven without tasting death, just like Enoch and Elijah.

My comment had nothing to do with you, beyond countering your claim that everyone here will die. That very well may not be true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree