The eight ingredients for life

The eight ingredients for life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
That wasn't the question, though as a Christian am surprised at your lack of care for the salvation of others, even if they do reside on an alien world. If God is the sole creator, then these alien creatures also owe their origin to Him, no?
Of course, which is why I believe that this has been considered and solved by him. And naturally, I must speculate on it, but I see no reason why it's not possible.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Feb 21

Did Jesus Save the Klingons?

The discovery of life beyond Earth would be a triumph for science but might wreak havoc on certain religions. Some faiths, such as evangelical Christianity, have long held that we are God’s favorite children and would not easily accommodate the notion that we would have to share the attention; others, such as Roman Catholicism, struggle with thorny questions such as whether aliens have original sin. - Now that researchers have discovered more than 1,500 exoplanets beyond the solar system, the day when scientists detect signs of life on one of them may be near at hand.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/religion-extraterrestrials-jesus-save-klingons/

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Feb 21
1 edit

@suzianne said
Who says that his only begotten Son did not visit these "other planets"?

Furthermore, who says that he wasn't the "only begotten Son" on those planets as well? I would think that God is fully capable of a headlining run of "the greatest story ever told" on a multitude of planets, perhaps some at the same time.

I am constantly amazed that even believers in God simply do not give him enough credit.
Does Jesus have to separately visit their planet?

Right. That’s a serious theological problem. Most theologians are pretty seriously averse to the idea that the son of God will have to visit every planet and get crucified on every planet.

What if there’s another planet that’s been in existence for 100 million years before us? Do all of those creatures not get to go to heaven because the Jesus event didn’t happen until 2,000 years ago? Is that fair? It’s not for me to say.

Some Catholic theologians are wiling to wave their hands and say it’s simply not a problem; God will take care of it. Some say it’s a serious problem. But theologically it’s a pretty interesting problem. These questions have been sitting out there for several hundred years. Two hundred years ago [American revolutionary and political philosopher] Thomas Paine put these questions out there very eloquently, and theologians started to address this and decided, yeah, this is a problem.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/religion-extraterrestrials-jesus-save-klingons/

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
@sonship

If sentient intelligent life (similar to our own) was discovered on another planet, are humans still the only ones to be saved?
Nope!

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." -- John 14:2, KJV

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Feb 21

@suzianne said
Au contraire. Now I will grant you that he is supernatural, but I cannot agree that he is hypothetical. Some conflate the two, but I do not.
Sorry, I meant from my atheistic perspective.

I enter a conversation about god hypothetically, supposing such a deity exists.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Right. That’s a serious theological problem. Most theologians are pretty seriously averse to the idea that the son of God will have to visit every planet and get crucified on every planet.

What if there’s another planet that’s been in existence for 100 million years before us? Do all of those creatures not get t ...[text shortened]... oblem.

Theologians are a stodgy bunch. They're averse to a lot more than that.

I ask them: Is God omnipotent or not? Is God omniscient or not? Is God omnipresent or not?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Sorry, I meant from my atheistic perspective.

I enter a conversation about god hypothetically, supposing such a deity exists.
That's better than most can manage, on either side.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Feb 21

@suzianne said
Of course, which is why I believe that this has been considered and solved by him. And naturally, I must speculate on it, but I see no reason why it's not possible.
I think sonship's reply was less considered:

"I would not worry about the sins of something else on another planet."

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said

What if there’s another planet that’s been in existence for 100 million years before us? Do all of those creatures not get t ...[text shortened]... oblem.

Every planet with life capable of making a choice. This narrows it down some (a lot).

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Feb 21
3 edits

@suzianne said
Nope!

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." -- John 14:2, KJV
So are you tendering the proposition that the son of God had to visit every planet (with sentient self aware life) and be crucified on every such planet?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I think sonship's reply was less considered:

"I would not worry about the sins of something else on another planet."
This attitude is common among the "hardcore" religionists. Strangely enough (to my mind anyways) there is some need to be "special" among all life in the universe (that is, if they even consider for a second that there may be life on other planets). There also seems to be a common thread of being "human-centric", meaning, I guess, that anything less than human is not "worthy", regardless of its intelligence. They would consider humans to be the pinnacle. I would imagine it would depend on the world and its environment. Evolution is still a key component of creation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Feb 21

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

If God is the sole creator, then these alien creatures also owe their origin to Him, no?

What does owing origin have to do with it?

What are we told?
Through one MAN sin entered the world.

"Therefore just a through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin, death; and thus death passed on to all men because all have sinned."(Rom. 5:12)

One man - death to all [men]. Sin entered into the world. You're a man. Me too.
I have no word from the Bible about sin entering through one ?????? on Altar-4.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
So are you tendering the proposition that the son of God had to visit every planet (with sentient self aware life) and be crucified on every such planet?
Perhaps not crucified, per se. The manner of sacrifice would be conditional on factors such as the culture on the planet, its social advancement, core customs of that society, etc. I imagine it would have to be a blood-payment of sin debt, though, in whatever form that would take, given the other factors.

My short answer would be yes. Does this not amplify the immensity of the sacrifice made for God's creation?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Feb 21

@suzianne said
This attitude is common among the "hardcore" religionists. Strangely enough (to my mind anyways) there is some need to be "special" among all life in the universe (that is, if they even consider for a second that there may be life on other planets). There also seems to be a common thread of being "human-centric", meaning, I guess, that anything less than human is not "wort ...[text shortened]... e it would depend on the world and its environment. Evolution is still a key component of creation.
Agreed and I think it is such hardcore religionists who will struggle to adapt if and when intelligent life is discovered on another world.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Feb 21

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke
If God is the sole creator, then these alien creatures also owe their origin to Him, no?

What does owing origin have to do with it?

What are we told?
Through one MAN sin entered the world.

[b]"Therefore just a through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin, death; and thus death passed on to all men because all ...[text shortened]... 're a man. Me too.
I have no word from the Bible about sin entering through one ?????? on Altar-4.
I suspect that the Altarians would have their own Bible, with their own story.