1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 21:521 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    'his' ??

I originally was asking Nicksten but then Galveston75 picked it up.

I'd like to hear from them

but also Robbie - what is your take on THE END ????
    you mean Biblically or my own thoughts, for the two sometimes overlap, but not always, by that i mean, it would be difficult for me to successfully substantiate my own thought's biblically, although, in a way, it could be done?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 21:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you mean Biblically or my own thoughts, for the two sometimes overlap, but not always, by that i mean, it would be difficult for me to successfully substantiate my own thought's biblically, although, in a way, it could be done?
    but also Robbie - what is your take on THE END ????
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 22:042 edits
    but also Robbie - what is [b]your take on THE END ????[/b]
    when i was interested in ecology, about fifteen years ago, i came to the conclusion that the earth could not viably sustain the amount of pollutants that were being poured into the rivers, atmosphere and other eco systems. It seemed to me that the balance of nature was being heavily tipped towards an unprecedented environmental catastrophe. This is a view i still hold. My only solace is that biblically it is stated that God shall bring to ruin those who are destroying the earth and that it will not be destroyed beyond repletion. Thus it seems to me that if this is the case, it must be pretty soon, for the environment is suffering severely.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 22:40
    when i was interested in ecology, about fifteen years ago, i came to the conclusion that the earth could not viably sustain the amount of pollutants that were being poured into the rivers, atmosphere and other eco systems. It seemed to me that the balance of nature was being heavily tipped towards an unprecedented environmental catastrophe. This is ...[text shortened]... me that if this is the case, it must be pretty soon, for the environment is suffering severely.
    I agree with you Robbie about the way we are defiling the planet
    BUT
    what do you mean by 'pretty soon' ?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 22:58
    BUT
    Sorry for being gone. Health problems with Dad.

Jesus preached about the Kingdom of God. He spoke of a time for judging the nations and peoples. He warned of a tribulation that would be greater than any that had yet occurred. And he gave a composite sign to indicate when the end of the world as we know it would be at hand.—Matthew 9:35; Mark 13:19; Luke 21:7-11; John 12:31.
    Jesus said to his disciples: “It does not belong to you to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction.” (Acts 1:7) And when giving “the sign of [his] presence and of the conclusion of the system of things,” Jesus noted: “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Matthew 24:3, 36) Then, after making a comparison between the destruction of the wicked world of mankind in Noah’s day and the destruction that would take place during “the presence of the Son of man,” Jesus stated: “Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.”—Matthew 24:39, 42.
    So while the exact time of the coming end of this “system of things” has not been revealed to us, “the sign” that Jesus gave would let us know when we are in the time period known as “the last days.” (2 Timothy 3:1) It would be a time to “keep awake” so that we “may succeed in escaping all these things that are destined to occur.”—Luke 21:36.
    Before giving the actual sign, Jesus warned: “Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them. Furthermore, when you hear of wars and disorders, do not be terrified. For these things must occur first, but the end does not occur immediately.”—Luke 21:8, 9.
    Ask yourself, ‘When have all the facets mentioned in the Gospels occurred in the same era?’ Since the year 1914, man has witnessed devastating world wars; great earthquakes with their tragic consequences, such as tsunamis; widespread deadly diseases such as malaria, flu, and AIDS; millions of people wasting away for lack of food; a global climate of fear because of threats from terrorism and weapons of mass destruction; and the preaching of the good news of God’s heavenly Kingdom worldwide by Jehovah’s Witnesses. These events have occurred just as Jesus foretold.
    Keep in mind, too, what the apostle Paul wrote: “Know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power.” (2 Timothy 3:1-5) Yes, “critical times” marked by rampant lawlessness, godlessness, cruelty, and self-seeking aggressiveness would become evident throughout the earth.
    After he received a preview of events that would occur far in the future, the prophet Daniel was told: “During that time [“the time of the end” mentioned at Daniel 11:40] Michael [Jesus Christ] will stand up, the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of your people.” (Daniel 12:1) What would Michael do?
    The book of Revelation speaks of the time when Michael would be active as King. It states: “War broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled but it did not prevail, neither was a place found for them any longer in heaven. So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him. On this account be glad, you heavens and you who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.”—Revelation 12:7-9, 12.
    Bible chronology indicates that this battle, cleansing the heavens of Satan and his demons, would result in great woe for the earth because of the Devil’s anger at knowing that his time left for ruling the earth was short. His anger would increase during the last days until his total defeat at the war of Armageddon.—Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:11, 15; 20:1-3.
    After mentioning the outcome of that heavenly battle, the apostle John declared: “I heard a loud voice in heaven say: ‘Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down, who accuses them day and night before our God!’” (Revelation 12:10) Did you note the announcement of the Kingdom’s establishment under Christ? Yes, that heavenly Kingdom was installed in 1914.# However, as Psalm 110:2 indicates, Jesus would be ruling “in the midst of [his] enemies” until the time when Kingdom rule would exercise dominion over the earth as it has done in heaven.—Matthew 6:10.
    Interestingly, the angel who told the prophet Daniel of the events to come also stated: “As for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of the end. Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant.” (Daniel 12:4) This provides additional evidence that we are now in “the time of the end.” Knowledge of the meaning of these prophecies has already been made clear and is now being proclaimed worldwide.
    Exactly how long the last days will be is not mentioned in the Bible. But in the last days, the earthly situation is bound to get worse as Satan’s time gets shorter. The apostle Paul forewarned that “wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse, misleading and being misled.” (2 Timothy 3:13) And in speaking of things yet to come, Jesus stated: “Those days will be days of a tribulation such as has not occurred from the beginning of the creation which God created until that time, and will not occur again. In fact, unless Jehovah had cut short the days, no flesh would be saved. But on account of the chosen ones whom he has chosen he has cut short the days.”—Mark 13:19, 20.
    Some of the events yet to come are the “great tribulation,” including the war of Armageddon, and the restricting of Satan and his demons so that they cannot affect the earth. (Matthew 24:21) “God, who cannot lie,” has assured us that these things will take place. (Titus 1:2) Armageddon and the abyssing of Satan will be the result of divine intervention.
    The apostle Paul was inspired to tell us just what would precede the coming destruction at God’s hands. In regard to “the times and the seasons,” he wrote: “Jehovah’s day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. Whenever it is that they are saying: ‘Peace and security!’ then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman; and they will by no means escape.” (1 Thessalonians 5:1-3) Just what causes that false cry of “peace and security” is not stated, and only time will tell; but it will not forestall the coming of Jehovah’s day of judgment.
    If we are convinced of the reality of these prophecies, knowledge of the facts should move us to act. In what way? Peter answers: “Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah!” (2 Peter 3:11, 12)
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 23:29
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sorry for being gone. Health problems with Dad.

Jesus preached about the Kingdom of God. He spoke of a time for judging the nations and peoples. He warned of a tribulation that would be greater than any that had yet occurred. And he gave a composite sign to indicate when the end of the world as we know it would be at hand.—Matthew 9:35; Mark 13:19; L ...[text shortened]... tion, awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah!” (2 Peter 3:11, 12)
    Hope your dad is OK soon.

But "cut n paste" from I dont know where doesnt answer the question!

Your thoughts please.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 23:55

Your thoughts please.
    Let me put you out of your misery. 21/12/2012
    If the world is still the same the next day then I,for one will be releaved in one way. It will make me change my world view somewhat.

But doesn't matter whent the world or your world or my world is ending. You should treat each day as if it was your last. And live in the moment. That way you cant really entertain any notions about any future prophecies. The 'big long now' is bliss.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 00:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Let me put you out of your misery. 21/12/2012
    If the world is still the same the next day then I,for one will be releaved in one way. It will make me change my world view somewhat.

But doesn't matter whent the world or your world or my world is ending. You should treat each day as if it was your last. And live in the moment. That way you cant really entertain any notions about any future prophecies. The 'big long now' is bliss.
    "Seize the day" is all well and good but when you know (statistically) that there will be a tomorrow it is prudent to plan. (I think most religions have a parable/story about future planning)

what I am interested in in this thread is waht time-scale the doom-sayers are talking about. .... 10 years, 100 years, 1,000 years ... I dont neede a date!
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 00:33
    "Seize the day" is all well and good but when you know (statistically) that there will be a tomorrow it is prudent to plan. (I think most religions have a parable/story about future planning)

what I am interested in in this thread is waht time-scale the doom-sayers are talking about. .... 10 years, 100 years, 1,000 years ... I dont neede a date!
    The JW's used to be quite specific with regard to their predictions of when the world would end, a quick google search brings up a few articles. Now they're just more vague.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 00:411 edit

Your thoughts please.
    Thanks. He's having some mental problems but I think we can work him thru them. I don't normally like to cut and past but my time is being taken up with him alot.
    But Matt 24:34 says that "this generation would not pass away" until all these things occur and then the end would come. So if the 1914 year is a key year in all these things beginning that Jesus spoke of, then you would be getting up in age quite a bit now.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 00:46
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The JW's used to be quite specific with regard to their predictions of when the world would end, a quick google search brings up a few articles. Now they're just more vague.
    Hey Buddy. Yes when the Witnesses were young and starting out and by no means knowing all the answers, just as an archeologist would not know all the answers at a dig of historical value at first but would know more later, it has gotten dates and time periods wrong. But as time has gone by and more study we are learning more and more. Not to hard to reason on that. Have you always been right on a subject but learned the correct answers later thru more research?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 03:59
    BUT
    well, how much depletion can the planet take before there is a point of no return? God cannot let this happen, he has stated it, therefore it is simply a very general estimation, no one knows for sure Wolfgang, all we can state is that there are indications that it must be close, wars, reports of wars, famines and earthquakes, these things are well documented in Christ's words found in Matthew chapters 24 and 25.

(Matthew 24:36) . . .“Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . .
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 10:56
    well, how much depletion can the planet take before there is a point of no return? God cannot let this happen, he has stated it, therefore it is simply a very general estimation, no one knows for sure Wolfgang, all we can state is that there are indications that it must be close, wars, reports of wars, famines and earthquakes, these things are well ...[text shortened]... and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . .
    Again you use the word 'close' Robbie - what do you mean?

If a friend tells me their hotel was 'close' to the beach I dont expect the exact yards and inches but when asked they will say something like "less than 400 yds"

If a friend tells me that they are leaving the pub 'soon' they can elaborate and say something like "within half an hour"

Just want to know what close means to you in this context.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 11:37

Now you are leaving too much to chance. I went out on a limb there,as usual.
    You do have options in life you know...
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 11:55
    Again you use the word 'close' Robbie - what do you mean?

If a friend tells me their hotel was 'close' to the beach I dont expect the exact yards and inches but when asked they will say something like "less than 400 yds"

If a friend tells me that they are leaving the pub 'soon' they can elaborate and say something like "within half an hour"

Just want to know what close means to you in this context.
    its impossible to quantify in terms of time, could be tomorrow, could be a decade, could be several decades, i cannot be any more explicit than that Wolfgang, sorry. There are only indications, anything that goes beyond that, i dont think can be substantiated.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree