1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 21:40
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    take it as a good critic - but to receive a lecture when you need it too (from my perspective) is a bit odd. Anyway, no, English is not my first language and yes I get the proof/prove mixed up sometimes. I clearly know the difference and try and re-read my post before posting. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    I did wonder if English was your first language, speaking as someone who only knows one I think your English is pretty good.
    But you do still make errors that leave your meaning ambiguous at best on occasions.

I would read more than the bit about proof/prove since that was the least of the problems I had with that sentence.
    And while wrong, it's obviously wrong and doesn't impair peoples ability to understand your meaning.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 21:441 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I don't know witch to use in this instance
    So, Mr. Grammar Nazi, what is this sentence supposed to mean?

Witch? Really?

Do you possibly mean Which? Hmmmm?

Or maybe Which Witch? 😛
  3. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 21:511 edit
    I did wonder if English was your first language, speaking as someone who only knows one I think your English is pretty good.
    But you do still make errors that leave your meaning ambiguous at best on occasions.

I would read more than the bit about proof/prove since that was the least of the problems I had with that sentence.
    And while wrong, it's obviously wrong and doesn't impair peoples ability to understand your meaning.
    😉 Thank you. Yes I make A LOT of English errors but will get better i hope.
  4. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 21:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Witch? Really?

Or maybe Which Witch? 😛
    Good catching that one. Well, at least he did say he makes mistakes 🙂
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:01
    Predictions that the end of the world is coming is closer than we think.

Clues in the Bible tells us that before the end comes we will experience wars and hear rumours of wars, poverty, earthquakes and much more. The world has become a total indulgence and we (mandkind) are left to ourselfs. There is no self-discipline. It's total mess. People are corru ...[text shortened]... g a poor example of a Christian will make me want to kill myself.
    This is my honest answer.
    "Brothers will battle to bloody end,
    and sister's son their sib betray;
    woe's in the world, much wantonness;
    axe-age, sword-age sundered are shields
    wind-age, wolf-age ere the world crumbles;
    will the spear of no man spare the other."

Care to guess where this verse comes from? I'll give you some hints. It pre-dates Christianity in Europe. It tells of the conditions in the world before the world is destroyed.

The point is that the idea of the world ending is nothing new nor unique to Christianity. It's been a part of human psychology for a lot longer than the widespread adoption of Christianity.

My suggestion is don't worry about it, just focus on living as well as you can and be as decent a human being as you can. The cosmos will take care of itself.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:03
    Your reply yet again is childlike.
    And not even to mention that there was nothing insulting in my openings post also just shows your attitude as that of a child. Come on LemonJello, what was my attitude in the openings post? Proof your intellect is not that of a baboon?
    Actually, there is a lot that is insulting in your opening post. But, this is precisely what you do not understand, because you are so conditioned in your negative and bigoted attitudes. I do not know what to tell you and your ilk. I feel sorry for you. But I do not know how to help you.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:111 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Witch? Really?

Or maybe Which Witch? 😛
    Excuse me but I am far from a grammar Nazi thank you very much.

I make my own fair share of mistakes despite my best efforts not to.

However there is a big difference between making the odd slip up, (which I ignore totally in other people)
    and making so many errors that your meaning becomes indecipherable.

You are far too intelligent to not be able to tell the difference.

I am dyslexic and have to work very hard to make my spelling and grammar as good as they are.
    And while I will never be good enough to pass muster before a real spelling or grammar Nazi, I
    am good enough to be able to make my meaning clear while debating on an internet forum,
    at least most of the time.

I also take some time and effort to ensure that this is so.

I am not poking fun at or insulting Nicksten for having a hard time with his English (And I admire how good it
    is considering he is debating complex issues in his second language) I am trying to help him make it more intelligible.

I may not be the best person in the world to give advice on grammar and sentence structure, however nobody else
    seems to be doing it.

Perhaps if you are so good you could proffer your services to help improve everyone's English so that we don't talk
    past each other at cross purposes.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:26
    Well if imagined correctly, millions of people would have vanished and surely the news would be full of this. This does proof the rapture has taken place, thus this must cross your mind wouldn't it?
    It would cross my mind, now that I know some people think the rapture involves millions of people vanishing. Of course, raised as a Catholic, I was taught not to believe this would happen. For now I will adopt a wait and see attitude.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:271 edit
    I think he just reads the tabloids, and has selection bias.
    And then gets this reinforced by his preacher doing exactly the same thing.

The trouble is without rational thinking and analysis to sort information and put it in context,
    and weed out selection biases and such, you really are left all at sea and not knowing what to think.

We are nowad e, it would have nothing to do
    with the inane ramblings of an ancient book of fairy tales.
    Totally agree with most of that. Good post expect for the part about the fairy tales. Religious people tend to overeact and hope for the worst so that they can convince themselves that its time for Christ to return. They are like kids anxious for Christmas Day to arrive.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:29
    It is quite hard to believe that a third world war is possible, I think it will be Russia that will start it.
    Do you have reason to think that Russia has some axe to grind with any nation?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:311 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Totally agree with most of that. Good post expect for the part about the fairy tales. Religious people tend to overact and hope for the worst so that they can convince themselves that its time for Christ to return. They are like kids anxious for Christmas Day to arrive.
    Sorry but I am contractually obligated to always refer to the bible (or any holy book) as a
    book of fairy tales or I lose my Atheistic street-cred ;-p

No you're right, it's a cheep shot, but I do like to emphasise the total absence of any evidence
    for the stories being true.
    I might sometimes however go too far on that front.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '12 22:41
    Predictions that the end of the world is coming is closer than we think.

Clues in the Bible tells us that before the end comes we will experience wars and hear rumours of wars, poverty, earthquakes and much more. The world has become a total indulgence and we (mandkind) are left to ourselfs. There is no self-discipline. It's total mess. People are corru ...[text shortened]... g a poor example of a Christian will make me want to kill myself.
    This is my honest answer.
    You realise that the interpretation of scripture that suggests an intermediary situation between death and judgement (i.e. rapture), is a denominational mechanic don't you?
  13. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 06:26
    Originally posted by Ullr

Care to guess where this verse comes from? I'll give you some hints. It pre-dates Christianity in Eur ...[text shortened]... you can and be as decent a human being as you can. The cosmos will take care of itself.
    I have no idea where that verse comes from.
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 06:31
    Originally posted by Ullr

Care to guess where this verse comes from? I'll give you some hints. It pre-dates Christianity in Eur ...[text shortened]... you can and be as decent a human being as you can. The cosmos will take care of itself.
    sounds nord. am i close?
  15. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 06:33
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Actually, there is a lot that is insulting in your opening post. But, this is precisely what you do not understand, because you are so conditioned in your negative and bigoted attitudes. I do not know what to tell you and your ilk. I feel sorry for you. But I do not know how to help you.
    Oh please child! Oh now you also mentioned negativity. So tell me child, what was negative about my openings post. You are failing to provide me with an answer cause there is none. You are the one that has an attitude of a young teenager whom in my opinion needs a proper beating. Now go ask daddy and mommy to teach you "manners for minors".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree