The God Delusion

The God Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
28 Sep 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'm not wasting my time with you further; you are either a complete moron or totally dishonest. No one is saying good and evil can't co-exist and you know it (or maybe you can't understand this); what is being said and what you refuse to address is the relationship between your mythical being with his supposed attritributes of the 3 O's and the existence ...[text shortened]... of evil. They are fundamentally incompatible and your illogical raving doesn't change that.
You are yet to demonstrate why something which is 'all-good' in itself cannot allow evil to exist outside of itself.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 06

I always luv this particular stupidity:

Even natural evil -- involving earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, and the like -- is rooted in man's wrong use of free choice.

People like dj really and honestly believe that Man's "sin nature" causes earthquakes, et al.

Moves
28 Sep 06

Not if he is Omnipotent.

If he is omnibenevolent, he wouldn't allow evil to exist at all. And if he is omnipotent, he could choose another means to get to the supposed greater good than the existence of evil (which his allowing to exist negates any claim of omnibenevolence).
If he is omnibenevolent, he wouldn't allow evil to exist at all.

If he is all good in himself it follows logically that he can allow evil to exist outside of himself.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
You are yet to demonstrate why something which is 'all-good' in itself cannot allow evil to exist outside of itself.
Because it's not merely supposedly all-Good, it's also supposedly all-Powerful. And if it is both, than it wouldn't allow something evil because all-good means just that.

Got it yet? Or do I have to keep saying the same thing for 6 more pages?

c

Moves
28 Sep 06

Not if he is Omnipotent.

If he is omnibenevolent, he wouldn't allow evil to exist at all. And if he is omnipotent, he could choose another means to get to the supposed greater good than the existence of evil (which his allowing to exist negates any claim of omnibenevolence).
That sounds like a reasonable and logical question, dj2. Exactly my point. Why allow evil to exist? And if he somehow mistakenly created evil in the first place, then he should have corrected his mistake immediately. But after thousands of years he's failed to stop evil. One can only come to the reasonable conclusion that he is UNABLE to stop evil. Of course you would say: God works in mysterious way... or something like that...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 06

[b] If he is omnibenevolent, he wouldn't allow evil to exist at all.

If he is all good in himself it follows logically that he can allow evil to exist outside of himself.[/b]
Brainless parrot.

Moves
28 Sep 06

Because it's not merely supposedly all-Good, it's also supposedly all-Powerful. And if it is both, than it wouldn't allow something evil because all-good means just that.

Got it yet? Or do I have to keep saying the same thing for 6 more pages?
As God's existence is assumed by implication, is it not he who decides what is all good?

Moves
28 Sep 06

Originally posted by ckoh1965
That sounds like a reasonable and logical question, dj2. Exactly my point. Why allow evil to exist? And if he somehow mistakenly created evil in the first place, then he should have corrected his mistake immediately. But after thousands of years he's failed to stop evil. One can only come to the reasonable conclusion that he is UNABLE to stop evil. Of course you would say: God works in mysterious way... or something like that...
Your question evokes a moral law. God would have to be the law giver of this moral law as you are assuming his existence by implication. So actually you are proving that the moral lawgiver exists, and not disproving it as you may be trying to do.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 06

As God's existence is assumed by implication, is it not he who decides what is all good?
No. If so, stop using the term "good" or "omnibenevolent" as you are making it into a meaningless tautology. This is goalpost shifting to an infinite degree and also makes the argument totally devoid of any rational basis.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 06

Your question evokes a moral law. God would have to be the law giver of this moral law as you are assuming his existence by implication. So actually you are proving that the moral lawgiver exists, and not disproving it as you may be trying to do.
You're now simply repeating the same phrases from your cut and paste over and over again. Try thinking for yourself.

Moves
28 Sep 06

No. If so, stop using the term "good" or "omnibenevolent" as you are making it into a meaningless tautology. This is goalpost shifting to an infinite degree and also makes the argument totally devoid of any rational basis.
You you mean to say that you are not assuming the existence of God for arguments sake?

Moves
28 Sep 06

You're now simply repeating the same phrases from your cut and paste over and over again. Try thinking for yourself.
Where did I cut and paste it from?

Maybe you should try and think for yourself what it means and give a meaningful response instead of resorting to childish insults.

Moves
28 Sep 06

Brainless parrot.
Again you resort to childish insults instead of articulating a meaningful response.

Is that all you can do?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Sep 06

Again you resort to childish insults instead of articulating a meaningful response.

Is that all you can do?
For 6 pages, you've absolutely refused to respond in any meaningful way instead just parroting meaningless phrases that someone told you. I won't keep repeating myself and dealing with your idiocies.

Have the last word and be happy, you ridiculous loser.

c

Moves
28 Sep 06

dj2, I was indecisive on what to believe. I reckoned that there's God. I read with interest the debates on here for quite a while now. I weighed the pros and cons; the arguments for and against the existence of God. It is very easy to lose oneself in the sea of the abstract and confusion. People offer ideas and reasonings. But at the end of it all, looking at things from an unbiased position, one thing stands out clearly. Your so-called evidence is mainly based on the bible. Unfortunately there are inconsistencies and conflicting facts in the bibles. After all, the contents were written by humans, so the inconsistencies shouldn't be surprising.

Now I am no longer indecisive. I am convinced that there is indeed no God. In spite of the pages upon pages of your explanations, it actually boiled down to nothing, really. There is neither logic nor substance in your arguments.

I am sure you are a good person, and I am happy that you are blessed with such a strong faith. I thank you for making it clear for me. In the end, in a way all this has been constructive to me; I found what I was looking for.