the great flood

the great flood

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Apr 18

Originally posted by @apathist
I think you know how stupid you sound.
“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”

(1 Corinthians 2:14)

“God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?”

(Numbers 23:19)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Apr 18

Originally posted by @js357
Assuming that these scientists of your unsubstantiated ad numerum argument “treat” those who challenge their theories with distain, you may be confusing science, which is a discipline, with scientists, who, being humans, do not always adhere to their discipline, nor is it to be expected outside their laboratories.
The problem is, it’s not always adhered to “in their laboratories.”

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Apr 18

Are you deaf?
Who do you think is a prophet nowadays?

S. Korea

Moves
19 Apr 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
No answer so forget the problem?

Good job Galileo, Newton and Einstein didn't think like that.
It's actually more like there is no answer because there is a plurality of possible interpretations of this story and a whole bunch of them do not hinge on the idea that the entire world was flooded.

So the characterization of events in the OP is not actually a proper starting point to dealing with this problem.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
19 Apr 18

i agree it’s not scientific to disagree with God since science is silent on the very existence or nonexistence of God and all other supernatural things. It deals only with natural explanations.
Well, let's see if I can come up with something coherent to contribute to this discussion.

Was there a universal flood as the Bible says, or is there irrefutable scientific evidence that shows that no such thing ever happened?

That's where I get stuck.

I have a thought. If that much water came down from the sky, and erupted from under the earths surface, enough water to cover the tops of the mountains, and didn't subside for over a year, how much evidence would remain after 4500 years to facilitate scientific investigation?

I've seen, but mostly heard, given that I'm not a scientist, that there is in fact verifiable evidence to support the biblical account.

To be honest, I can't speak to the question of the validity of either position, except to say I default to the biblical account since I've never seen the Bible fail in any of its claims.

Moves
19 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
The problem is, it’s not always adhered to “in their laboratories.”
Well, we should expect the sinful nature of man to be expressed everywhere, no?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Apr 18

Originally posted by @secondson
I default to the biblical account since I've never seen the Bible fail in any of its claims.
Have you ever seen the Bible succeed in any of its claims?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Apr 18

Who do you think is a prophet nowadays?
I think if a person were clued in to god speak, there would be no mystery. I just said no one.

Prophets are liars, obviously with agendas.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Apr 18

...science is silent on the very existence or nonexistence of God and all other supernatural things. It deals only with natural explanations.
I wish intelligent people would advocate holistic thinking. We're bogged down until then.

Rocket science is easy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Apr 18

I think if a person were clued in to god speak, there would be no mystery. I just said no one.

Prophets are liars, obviously with agendas.
<<Prophets are liars, obviously with agendas.[/b]>>

Not so in Biblical times. The prophets in the Old Testament spoke the truth.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Apr 18

<<Prophets are liars, obviously with agendas.>>

Not so in Biblical times. The prophets in the Old Testament spoke the truth.
Oh yeah, that has to be true.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Apr 18

Oh yeah, that has to be true.
Are you saying their prophecies didn’t come true?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Apr 18

"The reason I have absolute confidence in the veracity of the scriptures is because by them I know God and have a relationship with Him in terms spiritual, which cannot be ascertained by the physical senses, and cannot be understood unless one is born again. "...
Cart before the horse, there.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Apr 18

Are you saying their prophecies didn’t come true?
No great trick to make behavioral decisions in order to meet prophecy. Jesus did this.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 Apr 18

I like the king arthur myth

If I wanted to, I'd get the sword out. Dremel, maybe, or some tnt. Boom, I fulfilled the myth, honor me!